Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:57PM

Breaking news from the SLTrib...

Headline: "Utah lawmakers heed Mormon Church, keep Zion Curtain"

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57670596-90/curtain-restaurants-zion-powell.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:05PM

I'm thinking about putting one up in my house.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:22PM

Always working toward keeping Utah a LAUGHING STOCK!
Someone should put up a billboard saying this....

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:53PM

This Zion curtain is senseless. It's just the Morg asserting itself into everyone's business. Sooner or later a local bar owner will refuse to comply and we'll see what happens.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:02PM

But Laura Bunker, president of United Families International, believes that "separate alcohol preparation areas are an invaluable part of the environment that discourages underage drinking in our state."
How so? Where's your evidence that such a discouragement occurs? Personally I think all of the hiding creates an aura of mystery and encourages underage drinking. I have no evidence. Just my own personal observation having grown up in the church.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:20PM

Long story short...It is a P A R E N T ' S job to prevent underage drinking....not a "church".

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:55PM

Behind the Zion curtain is a shelf. Zelph is on that shelf. Though boney, he's not lonely; he's not there by himself.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:09PM

The coffee bar needs to be sheilded as well. Imagine the damage to underage customers having to witness that.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:11PM

Here are few comments posted by readers of the Salt Lake Tribune article:

Thank you not-so-secret government on North Temple. You have a lot of people by the nuts.

Their “faith” is so fragile it cannot withstand seeing normalcy and the subsequent questioning that conflicts with their programming

I suppose it doesn’t matter that Brigham Young brewed beer, distilled whiskey, made wine and that ZCMI sold hard liquor in their stores.

I am LDS, don’t drink and really don’t care if there is a barrier or not. I don’t think it affects the number of drinks being sold in Utah either way. It is kind of stupid. However the question that I have asked but still have not gotten an answer is why “zion curtain” is a big deal. If you get what you ordered, does it matter. How many need to see the guy at Burger King dispense the Pepsi into the cup. Does the Pepsi taste worse because the did not witness it? Is the reason is you don’t think you are getting what you ordered? The server is cheating you? I just don’t get what the problem is.

Setting aside the question of undue influence by a church on legislation there’s a very simple reason this should not be law. It places a burden of cost and inefficiency on the business without any proof that it has the intended effect.

Posted by: lineuponline ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:14PM

In a nice bar, mixologists are artists and watching them create a drink can be fascinating and entertaining, adding to the experience of ordering a drink. Think of it like those Japanese restaurants that cook your food in front of you--there's entertainment value.

I can understand downplaying the performance aspects of mixing drinks in family restaurants, but in a nice bar, the show is part of what you pay for. It's also nice to see that you're actually getting what you paid for, especially if you ordered a high end wine or spirit.

Posted by: whores'npratt ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:40PM

Mr. donbagley! You really must repent of your misrepresentation of our highly revered General
Zelph.

"Boney" can be no kind of descriptor for that mighty Lamanite warrior!

Pls remember... he gave us the Leather Plates, Second Witness to the BOM.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:11PM

Yes, he was a mighty genital. Thus the bone reference.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:33PM

It's made all the more frustrating that getting rid of the Zion Curtain is tied up in the Senate. Becky Lockhart (House Majority leader, a Republican, and a Mormon) supports tearing it down, and the guy that sponsored the bill to get rid of it is also Mormon.

For the past couple years, this bill has always passed the house, then died in the Senate.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57457540-90/changes-church-curtain-divides.html.csp

Wish we could toss out a few senate incumbents next time around.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:36PM

Also, something else I just realized.

When I last ate at Le Caille, the bartender mixed several Irish coffees for the table next to mine, including the liquors, at the table (part of it included sprinkling cinnamon onto burning spirits, which created a really neat firefly-like display).

Are there exemptions to the Zion curtain, or is it routinely ignored?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.