Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:18PM

Strange stories told are pretty universal to any organization with members. On my (often Douche bag) senior companions/DL/ZL etc told me some pretty great 'revelations' they had about me or Mormonism in general. Here are a few.

They were the 'prophet' of our zone/district/area etc.

They could receive revelation for me

That while other colleges are okay, BYU was the only place where a good Mormon should pursue and education. This because other schools have their own agendas.

I was a sinner

I was a saint

I had great things ahead of me on my mission

I wasn't going to be successful

I wouldn't ever make more than $100,000/year and he would make over $1M. (This one is a story all to itself)

I was funny, but I shouldn't try to be humorous in my everyday missionary work because it detracts from the spirit.

That I since I grew up in Texas I didn't have as close a connection to the 'brethren' as those who grew up in Utah.

Voting Democrat was a sin

Drinking caffeine (which I did regularly on my mission) was a sin.

Drinking caffeine wasn't a sin, but it looks bad to investigators

Breaking mission rules is the same as sinning because when you're a missionary your rules ARE your commandments. (My MP must've felt this way, too. I had my TR revoked for 6 months after going swimming once.)

Disobedient missionary's converts eventually go inactive because the missionary didn't teach with the spirit

When a disobedient missionary's convert goes inactive the missionary must take the blame before God

John Stockton is a Mormon

John Stockton isn't a Mormon but he is taking the lessons

John Stockton may not become a Mormon in this life but his work will be done and God will favor him

That they've had a vision for our mission and they can see whole neighborhoods lining up to get baptized.

Anyone have some good ones to add?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 02:18PM by mondaymorning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:21PM

Is voting Democrat a sin still being taught at the MTC?

Date: March 12, 2014 02:28PM

That didn't come from the MTC, but rather a genius elder in my mission. He certainly felt that conviction.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:47PM

When I went on my mission, way back in the dark ages, TR's were only good for a year. Everyone's TR expired halfway through their mission. It didn't matter anyway because (1) The nearest temple was about 3,000 miles away and (2) there was a general rule that missionaries, church wide, could not attend the temple. The church said that temple work was for the dead and a missionary was supposed to work full time for the living. So an expired TR was a status symbol--it meant you were one of the experienced missionaries. So my question is this: In the year 2014, do missionaries give a rat's ass whether or not thier TR is current?

Date: March 12, 2014 02:55PM

Good question. We had a temple in my mission and while we didn't have to go, we were 'allowed' to go once a transfer. Worst part was, you were only allowed to go on P-Day and then for some it was up to a two hour drive. So with four hours total there and back and the two hours your slept in your robes it was nearly your entire day off.

With only a few hours off every week spending them shaking hands in a baker's cap pretty much sucks.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:09PM

Mishs are treated to attend the temple. it depends if they are "allowed" (forced) to go every time they're transferred or maybe every 3 month. BF needed to attend every three month it was a zoneactivity to "strengthen" them and their testimony.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:55PM

One of my converts became the Bishop. Now that I'm out, I wonder if he is too.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:04PM

Had a bulimic/total sick companion she said always she got by revelation that I need to slim or I'll die on my bike if I didn't take diet. I had 130 lbs on 5"10 during the starving mission times where noone fed us.
hmm I survived her and the mission.

An Elder was after me and wrote me secret letters that he had had personal revelation to marry me in the temple, he even know by revelation what I'll wear then.
He always got revelation about me. He got by revelation that I "M" and think of him. well he didn't get the revelation of my hand in his face.

One had revelation he will be the youngest GA ever in his early 30's heard he never made it farer than Sunday school counselor so far he's in his early 30's

Another one had revelation we will end up in WWIII before 2010. He really feared that and this was his motivation to work hard.

Besides that we had one who really showed pathological signs of severe psychiatric diseases like schizophrenia and got his hallucinations as revelation.

Date: March 12, 2014 03:46PM

My second companion met a girl in the MTC. They spent two weeks talking during lunch periods and during class and they started writing each other talking about 'their future.'

I found that quite insane. You meet a girl and have two weeks to occasionally talk to her and you're planning on marriage? yikes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.