Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:15PM

I had requested a book of Mormon out of curiosity; I've posted here for years. The book was delivered at my front door and the guys left. That was ~2 years ago. Their replacements ring the bell occasionally - but I never choose to open the door to them.

After work one recent evening, I had taken our dog outside to do his business...they caught me! I had no choice but to talk to them.

Nothing substantial was discussed - for three minutes, I took an interest in them and directed the conversation to facts about them.

The most intersting part:

they are both from Utah towns.

They couldn't find someone from elsewhere in the US or the world? Sad, sad time counting Mormons if that's your duty for the LDS church. Soon it will be a regional religion without any reputation outside SLC.

I think it is really telling that this pair of mishies were both (very likely) BIC, Utah born and bred.

Score for the Internet, curious people, thinking former members who resign and all others who are "adding" to its demise and insignificance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:25PM

The two missionaries who visited me recently--obviously assigned by the bishop--were both from Utah as well. Nothing very impressive about them, either.

The Roman Empire in the West shrank until it was almost nothing but Italy. In the East, it shrank until it was almost nothing but the capital, Constantinople. That's how empires function when they're in decline. They try to preserve their capitals, their strongholds, their traditional areas of cultural dominance.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:27PM

Okay, my mind generally doesn't stray "there," but the subject line of this thread had me REALLY intrigued.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:32PM

Okay, me too! Haha.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:47PM

Yep, I was expecting entirely different content too :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:20PM

I am a sick man, but I see I have company.

Posted by: Chicken n. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:29PM

You realize, of course, that using the phrase "...caught me outside with the dog." is inviting comedy gold... :-)

Anyway, those fresh-scrubbed, rosy-cheeked Utah/Idaho mishies are indeed the picture dictionary standard issue church drones.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:04PM

But, but, what about all the church manuals I always used to see of chapels full of brown people.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:54PM

stopped by around Christmas. Then I saw them at the local mini mart and they drove by me walking recently--waving wildly.

One is from St. George. This is Cache Valley--Hyrum. The other is from New Mexico.

My aunt's grandson was sent here from AZ. MOST of his family lives in Utah and none of them can visit him.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:27PM

hello to cl2 - just came thru Hyrum - had to go see what Paradise was like.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:25PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:50PM

So I suggest you say, "I've avoided you because I'm not interested. Please don't waste your time or mine by returning. Goodbye." Then take your dog inside, firmly close the door, and turn off the light."

Life is short. Don't waste it on mishies if you're not interested in what they have to sell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 05:46AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:08PM

From time to time the missionaries talk with me when I am walking my pup. A few of them really light up when I let them play with him. I think many left a beloved friend behind.

A few years ago I took a blanket out of my car so the sister missionaries could have a place to sit on the grass while they played with him. They spent almost an hour with him.

Oddly not once did any missionary try to preach to me.

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:14PM

I thought this was the title of fetish por n when I first saw it.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:59PM

They caught me last week when I was walking my dog. They didn't realize they were talking to ole Belzebub himself. No power of discernment I guess. They gave me a card with mormon.org on it and told me to watch some videos by some Mormons.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:05PM

well just tell them You are not interested in Mormonism anymore. Can't they take no for an answer? it is no big deal

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.