Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:54AM

After reading the thread about the high school daughter being bullied by a younger girl, I started thinking about a conversation my TBM sister and her family friend had recently.

My sis and her buddy were driving together to come visit with a group of us family and friends. Somehow the conversation topic turned to made-up words. My sister’s buddy cheerfully said she had made up the word “stampled” just that morning on her way to our gathering.

The word “stampled” was created while my sister and her friend were discussing Korihor (the friend’s teenage daughters were in the car with them for this conversation). The friend laughed as she told our group that Korihor had been stumped and trampled.

Wow.

The first thought I had was “how pathetic that these ladies use their girl time talking about church stuff on a road trip on a Saturday morning.”

The second thought I had was that these ladies were laughing about a person being trampled to death (at least I know it was just a fictional story anyway).

I wanted to add to the bullying threads with a couple of LDS gems about Korihor.

The first reference is from the Friend, July 1993. The magazine includes the little cartoon drawings along with a summarization of the scriptural story. And yeah, the death of Korihor is included. I’ve included the text below.

https://www.lds.org/friend/1993/07/korihor?ang=eng&query=korihor

“A man named Korihor came to Zarahemla. He did not believe in Jesus Christ and preached that what the prophets had said about the Savior was not true. Alma 30:6, 12–14

"Korihor told the people that they were foolish to believe that Jesus would come and suffer for their sins. Alma 30:16–17

"He said that men would not be punished for their sins, because there was no life after death. Many people believed Korihor. They became wicked.Alma 30:18

"Korihor also preached to the people of Ammon, but they were wise and bound him and took him to Ammon, who had him carried out of Jershon.Alma 30:19–20

"When Korihor went to the land of Gideon, the people there would not listen to him, either. The high priest and chief judge had him taken to Alma, in Zarahemla. Alma 30:21, 29

"Alma asked Korihor if he believed in God, and Korihor said no. Alma told him, “I know there is a God, and also that Christ shall come.” Alma 30:37–39

"Korihor wanted Alma to perform a miracle to prove that there is a God.Korihor said that if he saw a sign of God’s power, he
would believe in Him.Alma 30:43

"Alma told Korihor that he had already seen many signs of God’s power. He had the scriptures and the testimonies of all the prophets. Alma 30:44

"Alma told Korihor that the earth and everything on it, and the movement of the planets in the sky, are all signs that there is a God. Alma 30:44

"Korihor still refused to believe in God. Alma felt sorry about Korihor’s wickedness and warned him that his soul might be destroyed. Alma 30:45–46

"Korihor still wanted a sign to prove that there is a God. Alma said that the sign from God would be that Korihor would be struck dumb. Alma 30:48–49

"After Alma had said this, Korihor could not speak. Alma 30:50
Korihor wrote that he knew that this sign was from God and that he had always known that there was a God. He asked Alma to pray to remove the curse. Alma 30:52, 54

"Alma, knowing that Korihor would again lie to the people, said that the Lord would decide if Korihor would speak again. Alma 30:55

"The Lord did not restore Korihor’s speech. He had to go from house to house, begging for food. Alma 30:56

"The chief judge sent word throughout the land of what had happened to Korihor. He told those who had believed Korihor to repent. Alma 30:57

"The people repented, and Korihor went to live with the Zoramites. As he went about begging, he was trampled upon and killed. Alma 30:58–59”

So much for being a loving and Christ-like people. Korihor is allegedly struck dumb, made to beg for food, is publicly denounced by the chief judge, and is killed for his disbelief.

This is the story given to the church’s precious, innocent youth!! Nothing like maintaining their innocent state of mind by teaching them that this wicked Korihor deserved to be “stampled” to death.

So then I went to another link on lds.org to see what other leaders had to say about Korihor’s fate.

“President Ezra Taft Benson has taught that “the Book of Mormon exposes the enemies of Christ. It confounds false doctrines and lays down contention. (See 2 Ne. 3:12.) It fortifies the humble followers of Christ against the evil designs, strategies, and doctrines of the devil in our day. The type of apostates in the Book of Mormon are similar to the type we have today. God, with his infinite foreknowledge, so molded the Book of Mormon that we might see the error and know how to combat false educational, political, religious, and philosophical concepts of our time.” (Ensign, Jan. 1988, p. 3.)

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1992/07/countering-korihors-philosophy?lang=eng

We exmormons are similar to the “type of apostates in the Book of Mormon” and the Book of Mormon has shown TBMs how to “combat” us.

If TBMs truly liken the scriptures to themselves, then the little girl throwing a rock at the evil apostate’s daughter is merely a stone throw away from following the example of how the people “combated” Korihor.

Gerald M. Lund’s talk “Countering Korihor’s Philosophy” in the Ensign, July 1992 is priceless. Link:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1992/07/countering-korihors-philosophy?lang=eng

Here are some excerpts from his talk:

“A Prophet’s Answer:
So how do we deal with these false philosophies? Fortunately, Mormon not only gave us Korihor’s doctrines, he also gave us an inspired answer to them. This is the real value of the Korihor account.

"The first thing to note is that Alma does not get into philosophical debate with Korihor. He doesn’t allow himself to be pulled onto the ground that Korihor tries to define as the area of debate. There is a great lesson in that. We combat false philosophies with revelation and true doctrine, not academic debate.

"Second, Alma exposes Korihor for what he is. (See chart 2 for a summary of how Alma dealt with Korihor.) In effect, Alma says to Korihor: “You know that we don’t profit from our service in the Church, but you say we glut ourselves on the labor of the people. Therefore I say you deliberately twist the truth.” It all comes down to one irrefutable conclusion: Korihor is a liar.”

How many of us have found that discussing doctrinal issues with our TBM loved ones is impossible? Academic debate is not acceptable per Lund.

Korihor exposes the leaders as those who “glut” themselves “on the labor of the people.” That comment just makes me laugh out loud!

And the final excerpt from Lund’s talk:

“A Final, Tragic Lesson

"There is another lesson that Mormon draws from the story of Korihor. After Korihor is confounded by Alma, he demands a sign before he will believe. Korihor receives his sign—he is struck dumb, and evidently deaf as well. (See Alma 30:51.) In that pitiable state, Korihor resorts to begging for his livelihood. He finally goes among a people called the Zoramites, and there he is “run upon and trodden down” until he dies. (Alma 30:59.)
Mormon summarizes the lesson he wants us to learn: “And thus we see the end of him who perverteth the ways of the Lord; and thus we see that the devil will not support his children at the last day, but doth speedily drag them down to hell.” (Alma 30:60.) How unlike God and his dealings with his children!”

How convenient that Lund neglects to point out that it is the so-called believers/righteous people of the land that “run upon and trodden down” Korihor until he dies. But of course, the good ole Devil gets the blame for God’s people murdering someone that didn’t share their beliefs.

Frankly, the Korihor story is absolutely disturbing to me now that I am an exmormon. But as a TBM I didn’t feel so disturbed by his death.

How sick is that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:06AM

As a nevermo, I'd never heard this story before.

It's good to see that after repenting the guy was forgiven.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:10PM

The most disturbing part is the two versus before the Korihor story begins that guarantees his right to not believe. Those are never ever, ever, discussed. Why? Because it shines a blatant hypocritical light and it actually becomes a warning about how religious belief can lead to the murder of the unbeliever regardless of the laws of the land. God of course is all good with this.

The Korihor story is trotted out often yet it goes against so many LDS doctrines it would be tough to list them all. Terrorists use this same kind of scripture.

And no one seems to notice.

Posted by: Lilburne ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:58PM

Looking at this and the death of laban it pretty much makes it hard to separate mormonism from sharia law and the taliban.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:19PM

Another frightening example of how the BOM is not only dumb and untrue, it's also pernicious.

I read this morning a quote from Emerson, who said religion becomes obsolete when it no longer can lead social reform. TSSC is so far behind modern society its obsolescence has become an outright threat.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:21PM

The Korihor story is jaw-droppingly awful.

First it mentions that they HAD A LAW that you couldn't arrest someone for their religious beliefs or preaching:

7 Now there was no law against a man’s belief; for it was
strictly contrary to the commands of God that there should be a
law which should bring men on to unequal grounds.

8 For thus saith the scripture: Choose ye this day, whom ye
will serve.

9 Now if a man desired to serve God, it was his privilege; or
rather, if he believed in God it was his privilege to serve
him; but if he did not believe in him there was no law to
punish him.

10 But if he murdered he was punished unto death; and if he
robbed he was also punished; and if he stole he was also
punished; and if he committed adultery he was also punished;
yea, for all this wickedness they were punished.

11 For there was a law that men should be judged according to
their crimes. Nevertheless, there was no law against a man’s
belief; therefore, a man was punished only for the crimes which
he had done; therefore all men were on equal grounds.

12 And this Anti-Christ, whose name was Korihor, (and the law
could have no hold upon him) began to preach unto the people
that there should be bno Christ. . . .
--Alma 30:7-12

So we have it established that the Nephites had total freedom of religion, just like in Joseph Smith's time. We also have it established that to have it otherwise is "strictly contrary to the commands of God."

Let's see how much the Book of Mormon account respects the law based on the "commands of God."

Korihor is preaching--nothing else. Not murdering, not , not robbing, not assaulting anyone, not committing adultery--just presenting his views in the marketplace of ideas.

So what happens?

19 Now this man went over to the land of Jershon also, to
preach these things among the people of Ammon, who were once
the people of the Lamanites.

20 But behold THEY WERE MORE WISE than many of the Nephites;
for they took him, and BOUND HIM, AND CARRIED HIM before Ammon,
who was a high priest over that people.

21 And it came to pass that he CAUSED THAT HE SHOULD BE
CARRIED OUT OF THE LAND. And he came over into the land of
Gideon, and began to preach unto them also; and here he did not
have much success, for HE WAS TAKEN AND BOUND AND CARRIED
BEFORE THE HIGH PRIEST, and also the chief judge over the land.
--Alma 30:19-21 (emphasis added)

So much for freedom of religion. I guess the "commands of God" are good to give lip service to but not actually to be followed. The message here is that Mormons don't really have to follow the law where their religion is involved--something that all the "prophets" from Joseph Smith to Joseph F. Smith actually stated.

So Korihor's rights are trampled on, he's arrested and "bound" and brought before Alma who starts debating him. Korihor mentions the leaders "glutting on the labors of the people," (Alma 30:31). In righteous indignation Alma replies:

32 Now Alma said unto him: Thou knowest that we do not glut
ourselves upon the labors of this people; for behold I have
labored even from the commencement of the reign of the judges
until now, with mine own hands for my support, notwithstanding
my many travels round about the land to declare the word of God
unto my people.

33 And notwithstanding the many labors which I have performed
in the church, I have never received so much as even one senine
for my labor; neither has any of my brethren, save it were in
the judgment-seat; and then we have received only according to
law for our time.

34 And now, if we do not receive anything for our labors in
the church, what doth it profit us to labor in the church save
it were to declare the truth, that we may have rejoicings in
the joy of our brethren?

35 Then why sayest thou that we preach unto this people to get
gain, when thou, of thyself, knowest that we receive no gain?
--Alma 30:32-35

Let's take some time out and fast-forward to the Church today:

Thomas S. Monson has been a GA for over half a century. Before that he was employed by the Church. Today he is a millionaire.

Boyd K. Packer has been a GA for half a century. Before that he was employed by the Church. Today he is a millionaire.

Please tell me what "labor" they do with their "own hands" for their "support?"

OK, back to Korihor:

So the "debate" between Alma and the bound prisoner continues and Korihor gives a cartoonish version of typical early 19th century, post-Enlightenment "free thought" and Alma counters with typical early 19th century arguments about the orderliness of the planets in their orbits, etc. Then Korihor mentions "a sign:"

43 And now Korihor said unto Alma: If thou wilt show me a sign,
that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me
that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth
of thy words.
--Alma 30:43

So Korihor asks for actual evidence--what a concept. What is Alma's reply:

44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye
tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have
the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy
prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all
things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all
things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea,
and also all the planets which move in their regular form do
witness that there is a Supreme Creator.

Wait a minute. Does Alma believe because of these things--the regularity of the planets, the scriptures, the prophets etc. was that enough for Alma? OR DID ALMA, HIMSELF, NEED A SIGN? Let's back up and look into Alma's background:

8 Now the sons of Mosiah were numbered among the unbelievers;
and also one of the sons of Alma was numbered among them, he
being called Alma, after his father; nevertheless, he became a
very wicked and an idolatrous man. And he was a man of many
words, and did speak much flattery to the people; therefore he
led many of the people to do after the manner of his iniquities.

9 And he became a great hinderment to the prosperity of the
church of God; stealing away the hearts of the people; causing
much dissension among the people; giving a chance for the enemy
of God to exercise his power over them.

10 And now it came to pass that while he was going about to
destroy the church of God, for he did go about secretly with
the sons of Mosiah seeking to destroy the church, and to lead
astray the people of the Lord, contrary to the commandments of
God, or even the king—
--Mosiah 8-10

So Alma was at least as "bad" as Korihor. Alma went around "secretly . . . seeking to destroy the church, and to lead astray the people of the Lord, . . ." Korihor is doing his preaching openly, not secretly.

So how did Alma, former evil anti-Christ end up as the leader of the church himself? Let's read on:

11 And as I said unto you, as they were going about rebelling
against God, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto them;
and he descended as it were in a cloud; and he spake as it were
with a voice of thunder, which caused the earth to shake upon
which they stood;

12 And so great was their astonishment, that they fell to the
earth, and understood not the words which he spake unto them.

13 Nevertheless he cried again, saying: Alma, arise and stand
forth, for why persecutest thou the church of God? For the Lord
hath said: This is my church, and I will establish it; and
nothing shall overthrow it, save it is the transgression of my
people.

14 And again, the angel said: Behold, the Lord hath heard the
prayers of his people, and also the prayers of his servant,
Alma, who is thy father; for he has prayed with much faith
concerning thee that thou mightest be brought to the knowledge
of the truth; therefore, for this purpose have I come to
convince thee of the power and authority of God, that the
prayers of his servants might be answered according to their
faith.

15 And now behold, can ye dispute the power of God? For
behold, doth not my voice shake the earth? And can ye not also
behold me before you? And I am sent from God.

16 Now I say unto thee: Go, and remember the captivity of thy
fathers in the land of Helam, and in the land of Nephi; and
remember how great things he has done for them; for they were
in bondage, and he has delivered them. And now I say unto thee,
Alma, go thy way, and seek to destroy the church no more, that
their prayers may be answered, and this even if thou wilt of
thyself be cast off.

17 And now it came to pass that these were the last words
which the angel spake unto Alma, and he departed.

18 And now Alma and those that were with him fell again to the
earth, for great was their astonishment; for with their own
eyes they had beheld an angel of the Lord; and his voice was as
thunder, which shook the earth; and they knew that there was
nothing save the power of God that could shake the earth and
cause it to tremble as though it would part asunder.

19 And now the astonishment of Alma was so great that he
became dumb, that he could not open his mouth; yea, and he
became weak, even that he could not move his hands; therefore
he was taken by those that were with him, and carried helpless,
even until he was laid before his father.

Wow, so Alma was worse than Korihor and Alma got a sign. Alma needed a sign before he'd believe, but now he's scolding Korihor for asking for a sign. Now he's telling Korihor that the same things that were not enough for Alma, himself, should be enough for Korihor--the arrogance and hypocrisy are astounding.

So Alma uses his mojo to give Korihor a sign; Korihor is struck dumb--the exact same sign that Alma himself had, minus the angel. But he won't allow Korihor to repent. Korihor, unlike Alma, must remain dumb and beg for his food and finally be trampled to death. The chapter concludes with:

60 And thus we see the end of him who perverteth the ways of the Lord; . . .
--Alma 30:60

That's the end of Korihor, but I guess this doesn't apply to Alma who, although he "perverted the ways of the Lord" got a reprieve and was able be a dick with Korihor.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:43PM

noticed that!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:28PM

Maybe because I didn't grow up with these stories I had a different take. They bothered me. Korihor, Laban being decapitated and the missionaries shaking the dust off their feet so that the people would be cursed. I once told the missionaries that instead of leaving dust on the investigator who didn't open the door shouldn't they feel love for them and pray that one they their hearts would be softened.

Anyway, I used to feel guilty for feeling sorry for Korihor, now I know why, it was because he was not respected for his beliefs.

I didn't like Captain Moroni much either, and felt guilty for that too.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:40PM

This last weekend some TBM family members stayed over and one of them got into it with me about our differences of belief. Korihor's name came up and I got compared to him after saying my beliefs require evidence these days. Now that i think about it, it was kind of disturbing because I said, "sure strike me dumb and then I will believe" He promptly got a knife out of the drawer and came and mock threatened to cut out my tongue. He went on with that long enough that it did get kind of weird.

I told him Korihor was a straw man argument because he didn't exist but we got sidetracked onto something else and I don't think he knows what a straw man fallacy is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.