Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon cos embarrassing ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:23AM

My husband continually had fungal infections on his legs around his genitals while he wore garments. He did use preparations to get rid of them, but they kept coming back.

When he stopped wearing garments, the problem disappeared immediately. He has always taken daily showers using soap, and so he is not just a dirty person.

Temple preparation classes should prepare people to expect fungal infections.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 12, 2014 04:31AM

He changed them daily, by the way.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:52AM

I always had problems with them, too.
For having more fully breasts I often get sore during their worse fitting. Once fungal too. Was hard to get rid off it. When I were on mission in Texas guess what happen during the hot summer on a bike? the material of polyester and cotton is not very comfortable. here I got a very disgusting infection inside my bellybutton I got cured from in a long process after not longer wearing them...
not only that they are ugly and passionkillers - I know a lot people who are having garment related skin problems

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:04AM

Yep, problems. Jock itch. Stopped wearing garmies, gone.

Posted by: Newbie ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:09AM

Does it seem strange to anyone else that supposedly sacred garments are in constant contact with urine drips, defecation marks, sweat, and fungus? How holy is that?

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:16AM

Yes, especially in view of the fact that we were told not to put them on the floor as that would be disrespectful.
And of course be careful not to "soil" them.....

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:23PM

"defecation marks"?

Someone needs to wipe better.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:48AM

Are there any made of 100% cotton? I discovered early on that so-called sexy unders made of polyester weren't worth the discomfort! I'm a granny but I still won't wear granny stuff... you CAN find cute unders in cotton!

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:05AM

I had major problems with rashes and itching. This is obviously mainly the church's fault for requiring that they be worn, but I feel I way exacerbated the situation by wearing the Carinessa style so there was less obvious bunching under my work clothes (I live in a majorly non-Mormon place).

Even in my cold climate I always felt like I was going to die of heat. This sounds weird, but I used to think I could almost feel my skin desperately taking in huge gulps of air during the brief periods that I removed them. Not healthy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 08:05AM by safetynotguaranteed.

Posted by: ziubzia ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:29AM

I had a similar problem on my mission, unfortuanlty it took me around 10 years to get it under control. BTW i'm a bit OCD with cleanliness. So I can only put it down to the holy garb.

Ditch the garms, and get some antifungal to begin with that might stop it or go to the DR. don't suffer in silence like I did

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:28AM

Friend of mine had this problem and it was her start out the door of Mormon church. She originally had a sympathetic bishop (imagine having to discuss this with a lay minister!!!) who said it was okay not to wear garmies due to infections. Every time she tried to wear them the infection came back so she stopped completely. Then a new bishop came on the scene and she repeated her bad history with garments. He told the RS president and my friend got railed on to ALWAYS wear her garments both tops and bottoms. My friend got tired of it all and just walked away.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:40AM

Argh! The garments.
When I first started wearing them, I lived in a very hot and humid climate. The first day I was out in my normal routine, I passed out!

I switched the most cotton ones available, and while they were marginally better, I started having a severe problem with eczema and rashes! I would have to wash them several times in my own soap before they were bearable.

The lesson I learned in the temple was that you had to wear both halves, day and night, only to remove them for hygiene, intimate relations and Doctors visits if I felt uncomfortable with a Doctor seeing them.

They were not to touch the floor, and if disposed of, the emblems had to be destroyed before throwing the rest away.

They always had to be next to the skin (even a bra went over the top which was insane). I had to stop wearing the top while I nursed (yep, told the Bishop) because even the nursing tops did not allow me sufficient access to feed my child. It was like the dance of the seven veils with a screaming baby.

My ex hubs was obsessed with making sure I wore MINE all the time, but frequently went without his or wearing a half pair.

I used to comfort myself that they were the garments of yesteryear that I heard about. All one piece with a flapping open crotch.

First thing I did when renouncing Mormonism. Buy new undies!!!
Psst, even going commando is a nice alternative once in awhile.

Yay FREEDOM!

RMM

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:46PM

Mine gave me shingles! But nothing like now wearing normal underwear!!

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:56PM

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:59PM

Indeed. Shingles is caused by the Chicken Pox virus.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:44PM

Exactly. The reason you got shingles is that you had the virus from when you had chickenpox as a child.

Posted by: visiting ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:17PM

My Dh got a terrible rash on his thighs from wearing garments. He was told that his lack of faith caused the rash and that he needed to read the scriptures more. He was also told that they've never heard of anyone having an adverse reaction to garments and they suspected he was trying to make up a fake excuse to not wear them.

He did hate garments, we both did! The rash miraculously went away when he stopped wearing them.

Date: March 12, 2014 01:25PM

The garments are symbolic. The fungal infection is a symbol representing the church.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:48PM

Guess I must have always had the seeds of rebellion.

I wore the nylon one piece open crotch style and then altered the sacred crotches of the two piece ones, replacing the nylon with nice cotton.

I also cut straight down the front of the garment for ease of nursing, opening the whole front and using breast pads for drip control.

Baby first, mumbo jumbo second. Personal health, mumbo jumbo second.

I don't know who I thought I was placating with all my adjustments, like the eternal God, creator of the Universe, cares about my flaps being up or down.

Embarrassing, I tell you.

Anagrammy

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:32PM

On my mission we called it crotch rot.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:32PM

I never had bad fungus from garments..... I just got sick of

wearing them when I was pregnant in the summmer... those of

you who wore them in the summer will know how uncomfortable

it was, but what I was wondering was.... did any of you ever

wonder why the garments that were supposed to be protecting

you actually made you get infections?????

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:32PM

I would get sore tender spots on my skin.They also caused me to be sweaty and smelly if I did anything physical. I never wore them when working in the yard. They were too hot. I couldn't get anything done. I've often wondered if this contributes to mormon weight issues.

My husband would get so over heated in them, he felt like he was going to have heat stroke. Garments made us both miserable. They were the first things to go.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:15PM

I once inadvertently stumbled across an email chain on the church computer where a sister's physical challenge with wearing garments was discussed between bishop, Stake Pres and then right up to Area Authority level. (They agreed to let her off).

Talk about airing your dirty laundry in public.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:50PM

This is going to sound odd...

But it's just a tip that I like to throw out there. :)

As a woman with large breasts I occasionally get a very persistent rash underneath them. I tried everything- powders, antifungal sprays, changing my bra in the middle of the day- everything I could think of.

Then a friend told me what works for her: Use the neutrogena T-gel shampoo (I use a generic equivalent, but it has to have the tar in it) kind of like a body wash in that area. It usually clears up quickly and stays gone. If it comes back, I just try again for a couple of days and it's gone.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:58PM

My cousin swears that before they had cotton garmies, she had continual problems with rashes and infections etc. For a while, she actually had to have someone sew the garmies for her. She also has large breasts (well she did before her breast cancer), but the point is is that she had to have the garmies made (by a seamstress with a TR - another story for another insane time).

Be sure to get the cotton ones.

Lily - do you wash with the T-gel shampoo and then rinse or leave it on?

"Indeed. Shingles is caused by the Chicken Pox virus." - I imagine that shingles could be exacerbated by the garmies even if not caused by them.

I've never been able to understand how anyone in a hot climate can stand garmies.....UGH!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 05:07PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:13PM

Yeah, I just use it like body wash. Put it on, rinse it off.

That's one of the things I loved most about it. Unlike powders and creams and god knows what, it's just on and off again in the shower and then I don't have to feel slimy or sticky all day.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:03PM

They are designed to promote crotch rot in order to discourage oral sex.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:43PM

thank god I never let my boundries to be crossed this low. I'm BIC and 39 and have never been to the temple because I never got married. One of the reasons I didn't want to get married is because I didn't want to wear Mormon underwear. I could never allow myself to stoop so low where somebody tells me what underwear to wear.

I guess I was always a bad seed. Everyone here that wore garments was a good seed.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:50PM

I'm also glad I didn't allow the cult to control me right down to my underwear choice as I quit going to church before I could have gone to the temple as a convert. The other benefit about that was that when I divorced my abusive ex-husband, once the court system said it was final, the marriage was officially over.

Date: March 12, 2014 07:20PM

Please can someone tell me: Is jock itch the same thing as ringworm?

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:15PM

Dh got a staph infection as well as heat rashes. He took the bottoms off long before we left the church.

As a 'nonexperienced' new married persons, we had only known about garment wearing. I think they screwed up our just-beginning sex life. Years later, I finally said I'd had it with the garment wearing. We were still semi active ( we'd have been more active had church not started so early iin the morning that we kept skipping sacrament meeting...and having personal spousal togetherness meetings instead. :P

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.