Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kokaubeam ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 06:42PM

FB people fighting over righteous killing made me think... Did nephi really need to kill Laban for the brass plates? It seems now that all one needs to keep belief undwindled is a set of stones and a rock in a hat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 06:44PM

Not to mention that he could have...you know, just taken his clothes and absconded while Laban was completely drunk.

I mean, he really was out for the entire night. It's not like he could have done anything until they had absconded with the plates.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 06:52PM

Only someone who is completely clueless as to how much blood would be out when a body is decapitated would tell a story of how someone cut his head and then, AFTER the head is cut, he takes off his clothes (completely soaked in blood) and wears them. Even as a child I found this part of the story so inconsistent.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 07:25PM

What's even funnier is how FAIR tries to say there isn't that much blood when you decapitate a human being.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 08:13PM

If laban was wearing armor, one would assume it was because he was going to fight someone, so why would it be so unusual to have blood on it?

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 08:28PM

Romans wore armour all the time while on duty. Finding someone covered in blood is always a source of concern for anyone with two brain cells connected to each other.The story does not add up, unless you grew up hearing it.

Date: March 11, 2014 09:56PM

But you forget that Zoram knew Laban was out drinking that evening, he wasn't out killing people. Surely Zoram would have been alarmed with all the blood when he knew his boss would be out drinking.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 11:01PM

How do you know Zoram was not concerned? Just because it doesn't say so in the scripture? Nowhere in the book of mormon does it say that nephi took a pee. Did he just hold it and explode when he got old? Laban was lying on the ground when beheaded, perhaps in a downhill position. The blood is going to shoot out away from the body when cut off. Maybe nephi washed the blood off the armor before putting it on; I would. It was nighttime when zoram saw the disguised nephi. Maybe it was too dark to see the blood. I know this is all made up anyway, but there could be a lot of explanations. I just don't think this is that big of a deal.

Posted by: AnonyThisTime'Round ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 11:31PM

ZZZZZzzzzzz.....huh! What?! Was someone posting something and I stopped paying attention? My apologists, er, I mean apologies, man.

Date: March 12, 2014 09:53PM

Omg, DP. Do something else with all the extra time you have on your hands now.

Date: March 12, 2014 10:03PM

Lol, I guess I didn't make it down to your last couple sentences.

The blood really is a moot point, it's all made up to begin with.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 08:05PM

TBM's overlook that three commandments were broken in the first few chapters of the book of Mormon

Covet (plates)

Steal ( plates)

Kill ( Laban)

What's up with that crap?

and then my favorite irony is the fact that after Joe Sr. lost the smith farm he rented it back from the new owner...........

Lemuel Dufree and Joe Sr.'s treasure hunting buddy was

Laman Walter

Heavenly father sure is a trickster!!

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:36PM

WHAT THE WHAT??????

I have never heard about this. seriously? Laman AND Lemuel?

Seriously, how have I never heard this mentioned before.

Son of a bitch this stuff makes me mad and laugh at the same time

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:44PM

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:45PM

SO is lumen (laman) walter the guy who joseph stole the peepstone from?

Seems like this guy had a big influence on the smith family

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 08:23PM

Can anyone give me the Mormon explaaination as to why it was so important for Nephi's family to have possession of these plates if their detiny was to be buried in the ground for thousands of years anyway. And then, after Joseph Smith "discovered" them in the hill near his back yard (God or Moroni were obviously planning ahead for that one) he didn't even need to view the actual plates for the "translation."

Really Joseph Smith was the ultimate con man. He was actually able to CON-vince people they WEREN'T seeing something. "Oh the plates are there, all right. You're inferior faith is preventing ou from seeing them." Those poor rubes!

But back to the question. Why was THEIR possession of the information so important?

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:28PM

It actually makes perfect sense...

Without the plates, with their language written on something permanent, their language would become corrupted, and the next thing you know, they're writing their records in Reformed Egypt...

wait...

oh crap...

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:18AM

LMAO!!! Killed it....hahaha, another pun.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:19AM

Killing Laban would be a cool name for a heavy metal band.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:35PM

JS was thinking of the emperor's new clothes. No-one dared admit not seeing - it would have meant they lacked faith.

Few people reading the BoM have enough sense to have read about a group of cats in which the last two surviving ate each other - Jaredites all.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 10:50PM

and....JS simply copied anything that would of been on the brass plates from the KJV anyway.

Posted by: Inky ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:43PM

And doesn't he just walk right up to the servant and talk to him? I mean, just because you have some guy's clothes on doesn't mean you are going to look and sound like that guy. Reminds me of the big bad wolf wearing grandma's clothes and Little Red Riding Hood not instantly recognizing him. It's a childish story aimed at childlike minds.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 10:10PM

I've read that Laban was always getting 86ed from the Jerusalem T.G.I.Fridays for getting to drunk and hitting on the waitresses...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 11:21PM

Oh. I thought this thread was going to be about a new Bill O'Riley book.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 11:57PM

So Laban's just lying there in the street, fully armored and passed out from passover wine. He had no friends? And where was his manservant? Nephi's plan was to kidnap Pilate's wife and issue demands. Sorry, wrong movie. Nephi's plan was to rob Laban of his brass plates, which you would think required brass balls. But Laban was face down in a puddle of his own vomit. The Vorpal blade went snicker snack. Laban's head rolled away like a gutter ball. Nephi lingered at the crime scene, dressing up in the dead man's bloody armor. Now the manservant shows up, three sheets to the wind on Nepalese temple balls. Nephi tricked the servant by talking like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. The fellow was easily fooled, if not sober.

Posted by: Mortimer ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:01AM

Killed to get records so a whole nation would not perish in unbelief... only to have that whole nation perish in unbelief.

Sure was worth it, right?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:34AM

Hey what about me?

Lost me own head but that didn't stop me.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:39PM

Michael Weston could have gotten into the Treasury, stolen and copied the plates, returned them, and rescued Zoram from his crappy life working like a slave.
All the while Laban is being distracted with Bruce Campbell's fast talk and Fiona's immodest clothing.

Apologies to those not familiar with the show 'Burn Notice'....

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:04PM

I just realized--if they didn't have the plates, what would Lehi make everyone read at 5 a.m. and then base fun activities around on Family Home Evening?

Come on you guys, it was God's command that saved that family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.