Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ortful Porpse ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 01:28PM

I just finished watching the documentary "Burying the Past: Legacy of the Mountain Meadows Massacre"

I was deeply moved and couldn't help but be grateful that we don't live in such rough western times. I couldn't stop thinking about the rank and file mormorns that were 'inspired' to such an act of violence. These were probably otherwise decent people who thought they were doing the will of the Lord. God, how horrific.

I began to wonder if that culture of zealotry has entirely been left behind by mormons. I wonder how many mormons could be incited to extreme violence in our day and age.

Clearly, I think that most would reject this sort of thing. But I can think of a handful of people I knew when I went to church that would honor their temple covenants, and do their duty, no matter what it was. Just like Nephi and his cold-blooded murder of Laban.

I think that sentiment is greatly reduced, but I fear it is still there.

It's a shame that this is a byproduct of so many religions.

What do you think? How many mormons do you know that you think would follow this sort of pattern today? And what circumstances might cause it?

Thanks,

OP

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ortful Porpse ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 01:28PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 04:11PM

Mob/gang violent behavior can be incited by a lot of factors.
Religious reasons is one or many.

There is a raging, angry mentality that sits beneath the surface in many human beings as evidenced by what we read in the papers: murders, gang killings, home invasions, killing in the name of a deity, and on and on.

I can't imagine a time when the LDS Church would promote such behavior. Individuals, small groups, yes, but not the top leaders of the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.