Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:17PM

It was noted over the past few days that the nutty woman who blogged about how the movie "Frozen" had a hidden agenda to legitimize homosexuality has a lesbian daughter. Yesterday she posted a public statement on her FB page.

"To whom it may concern:"

"I am the lesbian daughter of Kathryn Skaggs, the author of the recent blog post condemning the Disney movie Frozen for having "a liberal gay agenda." I am also an active, believing member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as well as a mental health professional. After much personal debate and inner turmoil, I feel it is important to state publicly (just as I have many many times privately) that I do not support the vilifying of the gay community that occurs through much of this blog post and has also been a part of other posts made by my mother in the past. Perpetually stigmatizing and demonizing the LGBT community has been shown to contribute to serious mental health problems within this population such as depression, anxiety and suicide ideation that tragically at times has ended in death. Such attitudes and language also continues to foster isolation and unnecessary wedges between LGBT people and their families and within communities and I can no longer sit silent as I am fully aware that these things continue to be experienced as harmful not only to myself but to some of the most vulnerable within the Mormon population and in society. I pray my fellow members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will collectively continue to move forward in following the teachings our church leaders on this matter as they advocated on mormonsandgays.org which specifically calls for sensitivity, thoughtfulness, compassion, love and being at the forefront of outreach to lesbians and gays. " As a church, no one should be more loving and compassionate." - Elder Quentin L. Cook - I hope and pray that might truly be so."

"Sincerely, Laura Skaggs Dulin"

https://www.facebook.com/laura.skaggsdulin.9/posts/290010751148771

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:20PM

Lesbian, believing morgbot, mental health professional...

Lordy

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:33PM

+1, association of religion is a choice still right? Religion is a community of people with a core belief system still right? What's the disconnect. Waiting dor revelation maybe, while the tolerant society around her forces the issue, as it has done so many times before.

If I were a cartoonist I'd draw a rabid, angry burrow dwelling animal shaped like the State of Utah being pulled out of a tar pit by Society. Welcome to the 20th Century, tagged 2014, we hope you can find the 21st century sooner than later.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:30PM

Why do Mormons always have to quote authorities? Why can't they form their own opinions and say what they mean, mean what they say?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:20PM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do Mormons always have to quote authorities?
> Why can't they form their own opinions and say
> what they mean, mean what they say?

Or maybe she included it because other Mormons need GAs quoted to them in order for an independent thought to seem valid.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:37PM

Given that this woman has made her choices and I can't affect them, I can only applaud her for this statement.

It provides yet more reason for the more rational TBMs I know to stop and think about what they believe, and the effect it has on believing families as well as how it looks to outsiders.

Date: February 22, 2014 01:51PM

Rational TBM.

Very confused by these word being used together. Cog-dis here maybe.

Help me understand rational TBM.

Posted by: Raging ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:58PM

I am so glad this woman responded to her mother's hateful post. Not just because I was extremely curious about her feelings and opinion, but because I thought the LGBT community (especially Mormon members) needed to hear from her. It makes me sad she is still in TSCC, but hopefully she will grow out of that. It is even more sad that the lies and the "we're making it up, as we go along" Mormon leaders spew causes completely unnecessary wedges in family relationships. Sickening really.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:58PM

What on earth does Laura Skaggs find to be "loving and compassionate" about asking the gay kids to endure terminal loneliness? Her attitude is frightening.

The disconnect and brainwashing are astronomical here.

She may technically be a mental health professional, which could mean answers phones at some Phsychiatrist's office. If she had a degree I would have expected her to mention it, so I give her no credit until she does.

". . . specifically calls for sensitivity, thoughtfulness, compassion, love and being at the forefront of outreach to lesbians and gays." This is what she quotes and I would wager that these are her definitions of those words:

Sensitivity--Pretend the elephant is not in the room.

Thoughtfulness--Encourage the "SSA challenged" to embrace their loneliness and devastatingly empty life. Cheer them on as they deny their passions and need for affection. Respect their right to suffer as Heavenly Father intended. And for God's sake, keep the children away from them.

Compassion--Try not to notice the pain or it might upset you and could cause unnecessary empathy.

LOVE--Report any infractions by those challenged with SSA to the bishop. That is Mormon love. It's the best they can do now that Blood Atonement has been discontinued.

It's all good that she has at least written this seemingly sensitive letter, but I am so tired of the Judas Goats. That is what she is. And if she actually has a degree, a doctorate, then I am really disgusted at her support of the church's damaging stance.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 02:06PM

I can't understand it. There's nothing about Mormonism that is compatible with the reality of being gay. Lip service to being "compassionate" or "understanding" are just the church throwing a bone to the world so that they won't be vilified as homophobic. My son is gay. He has for all practical purposes, abandoned LDS, Inc. and I'm glad he has. How can anyone who is gay be Mormon at the same time? Talk about compartmentalization! That would be like me, an avowed atheist, still wanting to be Mormon.

Posted by: Linda ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 02:14PM

If you are that educated and aware why do you still associate with these dirt bags.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 02:39PM

I'm confused. So she is gay but lives as a heterosexual woman? Cause just by looking at her facebook page she is married with kids. She said she is an active member of the church which means she is not having sexual relations outside of her marriage. Just making sure I am reading this right.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 11:38PM

Correct. She is gay, but in a straight marriage. IIRC, she came out to the public a year and a half ago and her parents 2 and a half years ago. I don't remember when she came out to her husband.

Date: February 23, 2014 12:19AM

Her poor husband. I can't imagine my spouse lying to me about such a huge thing. And for her, I can't imagine choosing to stay (and support) a church that demands me to lie.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 02:42PM

Well, I say good for her. How Kathryn Skaggs can go on rants about homosexuals and not expect her daughter to respond is beyond me.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:02PM

Well, I can (just barely) understand why some people who should know better choose to remain in TSCC. I mean that I have known some Mormons who were truly kind and loving people. And seen some (this was a long time ago) Mormon groups which were actually nice people doing nice, friendly things.

Maybe this is Laura's primary experience of Mormonism. Maybe she can somehow look at her mother's ideas, and all of the other awful ideas that people in the church espouse --- and separate those things from Mormonism in general. Then, I suppose that it is possible to think that TSCC is something that might possibly be turned into a decent institution.

Some people see the problems and walk away in disgust. Even for many of those, leaving the church can be a terribly difficult thing to do.

Some people see very real problems in the church and want to try to stay, and to fix things. I couldn't do it --- I think that TSCC is only going to get better if it is compelled to do so. And probably only if it is forcibly dismantled. But I do know people who honestly believe that enough change can come from within the church to create a new, loving, thoughtful church. (Which would be just like one of the vastly kinder religions that already exists. But that's another discussion.)

It's that thing about the triumph of hope over experience. Some people are profoundly hopeful. They believe that they can put up with a current evil in the hopeful belief that they can change it into a future good. No matter how unlikely that may seem to others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 03:04PM by peculiargifts.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:18PM

I don't understand her choice,but it is her right to be what she likes. Good for her for standing up to her mother.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:22PM

The abbreviated version: Folks, my mother is an awful person. So are you if you agree with her.

Date: February 22, 2014 03:30PM

Yeah but she is standing behind a church that tells her she has to deny who she is. I don't see her as much better than her mother. She is teaching her girls that it's okay to deny who you are.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:32PM

Maybe she can reach more people this way that would not listen to her otherwise if she were "anti" or "ExMo". Who are we to question the motives of others? I just think it's great she called out this woman she is unfortunate enough to have to call "mother".

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:34PM

Agreed

Date: February 22, 2014 04:10PM

So she's a genuine fake, where those bad ex and anti are what now.....?

Sincerely I need to better understand apologists and NOMs, I've been getting insulted in general lately here for doing what I consider to be the heavy lifting.

The insiders are helping polish the Mormon church which is mostly a self-correcting is that the narrative?

Please, help me see the beauty of the inside work and the issues with the outside work with respect to Mormonism.

I would point case one....polygamy still thrives in Utah in the United States amongst the Mormons. Non-mormons, ex-Mormons, anti-Mormons stopped the illegal practice of polygamy by threatening to bankrupt the Woodruffite Mormons. Yet it still exists, openly in the most Mormon, Mormon friendly place on the planet. This is after over 100 years. Insiders are doing good work, as defined as effective, how?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 04:23PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:18PM

That "change things from within" is what the protestors of the sixties used to say when they gave up and joined the establishment.

I have to agree the establishment doesn't change things, they just re-enforce the status quo.

That the Mormons were even forced to feign compassion for gays is due to pressure from outsiders, exmos, and the gays. Without that, those working within would still be administering shock therapy.

If your heart is in the right place, wouldn't it be nice if it were connected as well to the old cerebellum?

Posted by: Anon Brit ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:47PM

The poor woman is stuck in a cult. She sounds genuinely lovely as a person, I'd be so bitter and angry if I was in her shoes. Here's a bio of her I found by googling. She's married - her poor husband, that's two lives spoiled by the cult.

"Laura is a lifelong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is currently a graduate student of Marriage and Family Therapy. As an MFT Trainee, she is working to empower survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and elder abuse. Laura and her cherished husband, John (written about in many of these songs), were married for time and all eternity in the LDS Temple in San Diego, California. This past August, they celebrated their 9 year anniversary. Together, Laura and John have been blessed with two daughters, ages 6 & 4, who they juggle back and forth while John also pursues his graduate work in cultural anthropology. With whatever energy the two of them have left, they also teach a children’s Sunday school class in their local Mormon congregation".

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:00PM

Sounds like they are keeping themselves so busy that they don't have to worry about sexual issues in their marriage. Whatever works for them...

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:28PM

But, but, but..... How could she be gay? "Frozen" was just recently released.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:58PM

I'm not impressed by either generation of that family.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 07:00PM

While I am glad she made the statement against her mother. I am sad that she is a Mormon lesbian married to a man.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 07:09PM

Mother writes crap so daughter can oppose it and make Mormonism look open to the community. Good going, team.

Date: February 23, 2014 12:20AM

Yep, I think both of them are pretty pathetic.

Posted by: Anti gman ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 01:17AM

After reading that Laura's husband knows about her being a closet lesbian, I was reminded of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qF6n0_fIU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 04:16AM

If she's an educated Lesbian, she must have a few issues if the is still a believing CULT member.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.