Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 01:32PM

This just came across my FB news feed. I guess 3rd floor has been evacuated and 4 people went to the hospital for evaluation.

http://kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_9790.shtml

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 01:38PM

That's where my sister works.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 01:52PM

While I think TSCC needs to be fought against, it should be done in the court room, legally, and on message boards, logically. Scare tactics and terrorism is horrible, these are real people. Especially since it is the innocents in the middle who aren't responsible for policy or decision making who get hit hardest with this kind of stunt. They are just the fodder, it is sad.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 02:00PM

I agree 100%. The remarkable thing about the church though is almost all of the conflict it is embroiled in could be classified as an internal conflict between current members and former members. Very few people who have never been part of the church even care about it. The steep themselves in persecution but it is all from/about people who have been associated with the church.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 02:06PM

The exceptions being those who have been persecuted by TSCC, like gays. But yes, you are absolutely right. How often do we create our own worst enemies? If the church didn't treat exmos so poorly, we would leave in peace. However the demonization, betrayal, and attempts at silencing, as well as the shunning and repression, give us enough fuel to fan the fires and keep us going back for more. It is like watching a corporation complain about productivity when its own internal policies are the biggest employee time sinks, or a dog owner complaining about a dog being violent when it is getting hit all the time.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:32PM

How much do you wanna bet that if this story is true, that it came from someone who thinks positively of the Cult?

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 01:57PM

A diversion, maybe? A little like a magician's misdirection...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 02:51PM

Could be. Someone in the church HQ may have mailed themselves some baking soda, in order to make us look bad. Thing to remember, even if that is not the case, sending white powder does more to help your enemy, then your own cause. Terrorism is wrong not only morally, but on a practical level as well.

BTW, my money is that this turns out to be something really weird, like an apostate polygamous group, or some idiot who thinks he is the real prophet.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 06:24PM

I have to agree. When my friends wanted to get around the school and get up to trouble they used to pull the fire alarm so no one would be around to pester them. Perhaps this is somene pulling the fire allarm in a way. We might find some 'leaked' documents comeing out sooner or later.

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 02:00PM

Not helpful at all, just gives them a chance to rally the troops and play the persecution card.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 02:03PM

Yeah, and if real it hurts the workers drones who really are relatively innocent in all this.

Date: February 21, 2014 02:13PM

I just want to clarify my previous statement that this is wrong regardless of target.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 02:48PM

I honestly wouldn't be surprised that it comes out that it was sent by a TBM or Jack Mormon who wanted to make the church feel under attack by "disgruntled" exmormons.

I wouldn't put it past some of them.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:01PM

Maybe there was some damning evidence on the 3rd floor that needed to be destroyed, and the only way to do it without being noticed by employees was a diversion...

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 06:25PM

Destroyed or erm... missplaced. Who knows who's got it now.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:05PM

Someone sent back their year supply of flour?

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:18PM

Lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 03:18PM by hangar18.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:10PM

Its as likely this is from some uber-believer who thinks Monson needs to hand over the keys to the holy-of-holys as it is that this is from some disgruntled person on the outside.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:29PM

Probably new convert confused concerning baptism for the dead. Sent in relative ashes.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:41PM

Okay, that was funny.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:40PM

Ghostbusters finally caught the holy ghost and turned him in for the ransom?

Moroni's remains?

Packer's dandruff?

People tithing in cocaine?

In any case, whoever did this sohuld go to prison. If its an anti mormon: you just made them victims (their favorite priesthood ordinance) if its a momo, then you just proved you are a cult that manipulates and uses fear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 03:41PM by erictheex.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:43PM

Ah, the church PR department sent an envelope filled with flour to the HR department to change the mormon-related headlines and feed the sheeple's persecution complex...

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:49PM

...I always want to say, when the church is physically attacked, how condemnable it is.
ALL mormons, even the CEOs, are in some part victims of the scam.
No one deserves physical attack or verbal abuse.
Yes sometimes mormons cry verbal abuse for reasoned criticism, but thats another story.
Terrorism is entirely wrong if only for the victims own rights sake...
...but its also counterproductive to reform and restitution protestation. Ordinary conscientious exmos get blamed in mormon minds for this.

And...in my own self interest...my TBM wife and nascently indoctrinated kids spend many hours a week at church. Their physical safety concerns me as the church takes the physical security of average church buildings for granted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 03:52PM by amos2.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 03:54PM

I hope it was just powdered jell-o. Stupid stunt.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 04:00PM

Given the poor morale at the COB it most likely was sent by a disgruntled (or former) employee.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 04:34PM

Perfect timing to lump this "attack" in with the fraud case and try to imply that TP is a crazy anti-.
My brother works in the COB so I'm sure I'll hear something about it.

P.S. I've been on RfM too long, I typed "tithing" automatically when I meant to type "timing."...

Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 04:52PM

Stupid violence and physical threats will only unite the church membership and taint all of those (like RFM) who have legitimate and genuine reasons to resist the church.

Posted by: TBM ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 04:57PM

Date: February 21, 2014 05:01PM

I'm suddenly reminded of this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRgwoe668M

Posted by: AnonQ ( )
Date: February 21, 2014 06:21PM

"Hazmat crews from the fire department did a field test of the powder, which came back negative for it being an explosive or dangerous substance, Asay said.

The envelope the powder came in did not contain any threatening letter. Asay did not immediately know whom the envelope was addressed to or where it came from. The FBI was expected to help investigate the origin of the envelope." -DN

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.