Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 06:31PM

http://www.lds.org/manual/church-history-in-the-fulness-of-times-student-manual/chapter-thirty-three-a-decade-of-persecution-1877-87
"Soon, in spite of the articles published by the Church’s best writers and the talks given by its most articulate speakers, groups formed and began to pressure the government to pass laws that would completely eradicate such a marriage system."

This reads like it could be applied today in diverse ways. Like this way.

Soon, in spite of the essays published by the Church’s best writers and the talks given by its most articulate speakers, people in the UK began to pressure the government to enforce laws that would completely eradicate fraudulent practices.

Or how about this?

Soon, in spite of the monies donated by the Church’s best members and the talks given by its most articulate speakers, groups formed and began to pressure the government to pass laws that would implement a change in the traditional marriage system.

But while it was persecution for the Mormons who wanted to change the traditional marriage system in The United States, it is strange to think of it as persecution for me personally. I just can't wrap my head around it. Take this change if Mormons had been in the practice of eating their dearly departed.

Soon, in spite of the articles published by the Church’s best writers and the talks given by its most articulate speakers, groups formed and began to pressure the government to pass laws that would completely eradicate such a cannibalistic system of reverencing their dead.

Sure you can say that people had a hard time living their religion but if the religion changed in face of the laws and pressure, was it really worth claiming to be really persecuted for your religion?

If The British had defeated The Revolutionary Army and The United States was The United Colonies, the efforts of Revolutionary soldiers would still have been heroic. But this is because it was fighting for something worth fighting for that could still be obtained.

I don't believe polygamy will ever return to Mormons. If it does I will have to eat these words. Thank God just them and not my parents when they die.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.