Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: satangotme ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:21PM

I'm a scholar.... oooh Boyd KKK packer would not be happy!

Do we have any statistics about the amounts of resignation letters or how many people leave the church these days or an account of how many people have resigned during the last 20 years for example.

I read that hordes of TBMs are leaving over the lds essays in 2013 (the essay on race and the priesthood is a pure lie and a disgrace) but how do you actually know?

There must be some GA that leaks this kind of info on the internet. What do you think? heard of anything?

So many interpretations and speculations. I'd rather have hard data to make a point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:43PM

The only hard confirmation that I can think of is Marlin K. Jensen's interview. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/31/us-mormonchurch-idUSTRE80T1CM20120131

Here's some highlights:
"Maybe since Kirtland, we've never had a period of - I'll call it apostasy, like we're having now."

"Jensen, the church's official historian, would not provide any figures on the rate of defections, but he told Reuters that attrition has accelerated in the last five or 10 years."

"Did the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints know that members are 'leaving in droves?' a woman asked.
'We are aware,' said Jensen, according to a tape recording of his unscripted remarks. 'And I'm speaking of the 15 men that are above me in the hierarchy of the church. They really do know.'"

He doesn't provide any statistics, but he paints a pretty encouraging picture.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:57PM

I can think of some pretty strong reasons why those who
have hard data would keep it private.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:59PM

I am just excited for April's next round of fabricated numbers, those are quite telling with minimal analysis.

Posted by: Not Now ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 04:49PM

satangotme:

You can find some conjecture that I put together. It's at:

http://stopsoon.blogspot.com/

As you'll note, there are also references to material put together by Simon Southerton in Australia.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.