Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:44PM

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_9739.shtml

Has anyone seen this article in the Ensign in which Tad Callister blames women for contributing to men's unholy thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:47PM

Too busy to read the Ensign--it's a junk magazine from a fraud cult. Wouldn't want to be associated with the religion in any way, that's why I resigned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 12:47PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:48PM

I never read it even as a TBM. There seems to be a controversy.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:49PM

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:50PM

Every now and then I peruse the LDS website/Ensign/newsroom just to familiarize myself with the current output from the org. This particular article reminds me exactly why I am no longer raising my sweet children Mormon. What a mind*#&k!

Posted by: trog nli ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:59PM

I don't think the GAs understand sexuality very well.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:09PM

You'd think they'd know better than to contine blaming half the membership in the LDS church. The female half.

Will they never come up with someone else to blame besides Satan and women?

No wonder women must veil their faces in the temple according to LDS policy. But then, it was originally to hide their identity while being married in a polygamous relationship.

Joseph Smith sure knew how to blame others....women, angels with flaming swords, God, Satan....to mention a few. In the Ensign must make it official....sort of.

Keep that Ensign in production. It may be the best LDS deterrant for anyone who has thinking skills.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:10PM

I think GAs (gas, I like that--bad gas) understand very well the cult power that comes through controlling sexuality. Assigning sin to sexual thoughts and behaviors, providing resolution and a process for atonement for feeling badly about sexual indiscretions (which most people feel at some point, even healthy people).

It is a cult that knows what it is doing, just because they look like sweet little old grandpas doesn't mean they can't also be evil old bastards.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:05PM

All cultures have social norms for how to dress in various situations. The Mormon church has positioned itself on the more conservative end of U.S. and European culture in that regard. Tying this position to morality and virtue is just ridiculous. What is "modest" in our 21st century western culture would have been scandalously underdressed in other times and places.

Sure, if you dress like a hooker you are going to get a lot of unwanted attention, but there is a lot of wiggle room short of that. And it's silly to say that women are in charge of men's thoughts. Every day women see men on the beach, at the gym, or out for a jog who are not wearing much in the way of clothes. And yet somehow we manage to refrain from attacking them. How on Earth do we do that? Oh right, it's called self control.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:15PM

If you happen to work with YW, I recommend THIS as an alternative lesson: http://secretsofmom.com/?p=2031.

She does a much better job on the topic than the brethren.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.