Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:57AM

“I might add, this is a mormonspeak term. Nevermos don't really use the word bash.”

Contrary to what you may think the word ‘bash’ is commonly used in the UK mainly by children, it’s origins are lost in the mists of time & has nothing whatsoever to do with the LDS or any other Mormon group. When I was a young lad more years ago than I care to remember it was almost compulsory for an argument to end with “I’ll bash you in a minute” i.e. a fight was about to break out.

Let’s face it, as regards evidence a Christian can never produce anything that will satisfy an atheist & conversely an atheist can produce nothing to satisfy a Christian, both mindsets are too rigid for that to happen, so what’s left? Should the atheist mock & deride Christian beliefs, or the Christian arrogantly assert that an atheist knows nothing because he/she lacks any religious belief? If we really must comment on a persons beliefs (Atheist or religious) let it be on the basis of what those people do & how they interact with others but please, let’s not fall into the judgemental trap because of personal animosity towards religion or atheism in general.
Perhaps what’s really needed is a little more respect from both sides.

Ps. I have little idea of what goes on in the states between the rival factions but I can emphatically say that in the UK there is a definite bias against one religious group & no, it's is not a cult & it’s not a minority religion like Islam, the anti religious bias is entirely towards one group, Christians.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 02:29PM

Sorry for my American-normative assumptions. Let me restate, "In the US, "bash" is a mormonspeak term. American nevermos don't really use the word "bash."

It's not as though the word doesn't exist, but this is the only place I see it used daily.

Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:13PM

Thanks for that dogz :-)

Posted by: Ten Bear ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:31PM

Bible bashing is a term that goes way back into the early days of the country. If it originally came over the ocean from England, I have no idea. But this term is still used today all over the country.

Posted by: Saucie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:35PM

American's do use the term Bash..... as in Gay bashing. Ever

heard of it ?

Date: February 19, 2014 04:36PM

Oh yeah, I guess so. I stand corrected.

Apparently in my social circles, we come up with a lot of other verbs.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 04:42PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yeah, I guess so. I stand corrected.
>
> Apparently in my social circles, we come up with a
> lot of other verbs.

A lot of other verbs for bashing?

Date: February 19, 2014 04:57PM

trashing, ripping on, criticizing, picking on, bullying, assaulting (depends on the type of "bash")... You think there's only one word for this action?

Posted by: Saucie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:00PM

Relax Dogzilla.... I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:02PM

Funnily, "le bashing" (to mean a concerted effort to denigrate someone, usually in the media) has just recently started to crop up in French by osmosis from English ;-)

Tom in Paris

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:05PM

Unlike religious zealots I'm not bashing their heads against rocks though.....

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:14PM

Just a quick FYI, name me one of those people who did their terrible deeds in the name of nothing. I'm not saying that atheists are saints, hehehehe, I'm just saying that atheism by nature is never the catalyst for the bad deeds.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:19PM

Date: February 19, 2014 05:30PM

Genghis Khan didn't unite the nomadic tribes of Mongolia and subsequently push his armies to China as well as the Caspian and Black Seas area because of atheism.

Date: February 19, 2014 05:36PM

I'm implying that he did it in an atheistic fashion, as in his conquest wasn't driven by religious beliefs.

Date: February 19, 2014 05:52PM

Atheism is by nature a passive stance, The Great Khan was motivated not by lack of religion or by religion but by something in him that caused activity.

This is no different than the atheist who is also gay, fighting for equality. They aren't fighting because they are atheist, but because they are gay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 06:02PM by jacob.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:59PM

In the worship of the dead Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il's father, who is the actual head of state.

Date: February 19, 2014 05:18PM

The respect you mention can be difficult for those who haven't sat on both sides of the issue.

Why should the Christian respect one who is in the service of Satan and condemned to hell? To show respect or tolerance to a child of the devil can't lead to any kind of positive outcome.

Why should the Atheist respect someone who is so deluded? If you met someone who still believed in Santa Claus at 35 would you respect them? You would probably get away from them to avoid getting stabbed unexpectedly. Tolerating the willfully ignorant can't be good for your mental health.

There are those who consider atheism as an ex-mormon to be the next logical step, there are those who consider it throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Both see reason in what they are doing, and one will rarely be convinced by the other.

That said, this is a board where the normal advice of avoiding religion and politics in conversation is pretty much impossible, so it's best to stay civil unless you're in a thread that explicitly states what will be going on, while those who would prefer to avoid such debate can do so easily based on the subject line.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:34PM

Of course they have the right...and those who claim a religious stand have the right to respond, ignore or simply disregard. Each person who posts here does so from their own perspective, social or cultural makeup, belief system and world view. We don't necessarily have to respect everyone's religious or non religious viewpoint but we should be able to respect each other as fellow travelers in discovering this life.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:59PM

I always think of "bash" as a large party or event. I thought we were being accused of "celebrating" the theists. :)

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 06:23PM

Anyone has the right and duty to undermine flawed thinking based on ignorance and superstition.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 08:55PM

Yes, once they have the capability to buy magical jesus thinking from someone, they are then even more ripe to buy social myths about supply side econ., firearms, and a myriad of associated miserable social policies.

Stop believing in myths and lets get to what sciences show and will show us about the outcomes and society we want.

Oh and kill all Faux News viewers. That's it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.