Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 11:32PM

My daughter was dating a "I don't want to be a mormon" mormon guy, then in the middle of the relationship he shows up with a little blue book and practically demands that she reads it or the relationship is over. She was caught off guard and upset. The print was so small, someone would need a magnifying glass to read it. It just seemed really cheap for a book that was suppose to be all so important to mormons.

WTF? should i return the little blue book or toss it in the trash?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 11:35PM

She should dump both the book and the guy. Pulling that sort of nonsense is a really bad sign.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 11:39PM

You don't have to worry -- by putting such demands on her, he was the one who was being rude! I would tell her to give the book back to him saying, thanks, but this is not for me. OTOH if it's been a while since she's seen him, she can go ahead and toss it. It was a gift, she can do with it as she pleases.

Date: February 19, 2014 12:46AM

good point. It was a gift(unwanted) & so the trash it is.
But something inside me (anger?) wants to hand that piece of sh*t back to him. But i don't want him to re-gift it.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 11:42PM

One time when I went shooting with my daughter, she had some friends with her who brought a BoM. We turned it into confetti. It's just paper filled with a con-man's schtick.

Posted by: anonman ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 11:48PM

YOU shouldn't do anything.

Your daughter should dispose of the book as she sees fit.

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:30AM

so you vote for disposing of it.(trash can). She doesn't want to see or touch it, and gave me permission to do with it as appropriate. She is still feeling betrayed.
I was kind of thinking of returning it. Or a thrift shop but the quality is so bad, I don't usually give non-quality stuff. The printing in it is really bad.

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:33AM

Yeah. I've seen those tiny books floating around. They're like a dollar or two. Just trash it.

Posted by: anonman ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:33AM

I would simply throw it away as I would any other trinket I did not want from a extinct relationship.

No need to try to make a point by returning it. No point in donating it as the LDS will send anyone a BOM upon request.

It may not have any value, but it is a book, and I have an ethical issue with burning books.

So, yes, I vote for the garbage can.

Posted by: subieguy180 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:19AM

Now i'm not a girl but if I was i would dump the guy and burn the book..

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:37AM

Yeah, she should leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Date: February 19, 2014 01:05AM

There is no gun, i don't own one nor do i want to.

Posted by: lv skeptic ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 08:13AM

<<Yeah, she should leave the gun. Take the cannoli.>>

Great placement of a Godfather quote...

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:32AM

To answer the actual question: yes. Mormons think it is INCREDIBLY rude to return a Book of Mormon. You're "rejecting God" after all.

But I wouldn't feel guilty about being rude to somebody who did that.

Date: February 19, 2014 01:02AM

I kind of want to be a little rude. Is that so bad? his rudeness affected my family member significantly. If I trash it he will learn no sense of how to treat people. I suspect his mormon father has a part in this. According to my daughter he was very controlling.
Just a better reason for the relationship to end.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:07AM

I say that in this case, being rude might be a good thing. It sounds like she dodged a bullet with that creep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 01:08AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:09AM

Yeah, I vote for being rude. This kid needs to be put in his place and needs to learn that this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated in real life.

But, I would tear a bunch of the pages before you give it back to he can't regift it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 11:19AM by Heidi GWOTR.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:10AM

He was rude to your daughter by giving her something like that. I say go ahead and return it to him with an anti-testimony written in it somewhere or mark up little parts of it with notes on the side like 'ha-ha', BS, etc. Or make the notes look kind of legit but with a tone of "this book is BS". I'm sure someone can come up with better ideas than that, but it's a start.

Date: February 19, 2014 01:15AM

Well, at least that way he couldn't re-gift it.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 08:25AM

It costs 3 dollars, tops. I don't think he will have problems purchasing any new copies to regift. Throwing it away is not placing a financial barrier to anyone being given a BoM.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:16AM

I wonder what they'd think of me throwing the BofM my mom gave me as I went off to Ricks in '66, plus all the MORG literature my HP geazer kept dumping on me...into the landfill.

Ron Burr

Date: February 19, 2014 01:20AM

Thanks guys, you have given me some things to think about. I will let you know what i end up doing.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:47AM

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/BoM/index.htm

take as much (or little!) time as you want and highlight the absurdities, contradictions, etc.

make little notes in the margins (Mormons love to do this with their scriptures...) about all of the murders: "hearing voices telling you to decapitate an inebriate is literally crazy"

then give it back to him

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 02:23AM

Just burn them.

Posted by: book shredder ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 07:39AM

I go to work really early. The last thing I did with a BoM was to rip it to shreds, cover and all, and throw it out the window of my truck as I drove through the church parking lot at 5:30am. This was a bit over a month ago. Felt rather good. I know some of you don't approve, but some of us are trying to heal. This did me good.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 08:30AM

This guy sounds very rude, so I wouldn't care what he thought. He's a loser like any guy who makes impertinent ultimatums on a woman.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 10:45AM

Your daughter should return the favor and give the guy a copy of the Koran. I bet the controlling father would have a coronary.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 10:49AM

Posted by: keshengjie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:16AM

How about "View of the Hebrews"?

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:29AM

Fire starter.........

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:38PM

I hear the pages make good tp...lol not really, but that's what *I* would like to do with it. Tear the pages out at least, so it will never be found and used again! It's a lyin' piece of cult trash.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.