Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 08:07PM

Really annoyed. Not sure what part of please leave us alone they don't understand. It's not the sisters fault. I know they were told to call us.

For years we have fed the elders almost every Sunday. They got transferred out a month or so ago. So they brought in sisters. We haven't met them, we haven't spoken to them. They left a message asking if they could come over.

I am sure the bishop or the RS president told them to call us. Very irritated. I won't call them back, no desire to talk to them, so really I am just venting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 08:10PM

Sister missionaries were likely just bored with nothing to do.

So they went to the area book.

The thing is this: The Elders you have been feeding every Sunday no doubt kept a record of those visits. You are probably all over the area book.

Missionaries are told to keep records of ALL visits, even visits to active members.

So the sisters coming in probably noted these many past visits and saw an opportunity to possibly fill up a likely barren schedule.

Or the RSP or Bishop siced em on you.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:23PM

The sister missionaries might just want a dinner appointment so they can get some good food and talk to nice people for a while instead of going around trying to tell people ridiculous stories that they don't want to hear. The poster above is right that they may have seen information on you in the area book or they also might have just talked to other missionaries who have served in your area. Often missionaries will meet up at the mission home for transfers and everyone will be talking about what area they are going to and people who have been there before will tell them all about it. It is certainly possible as well that ward leadership has asked them to contact you.

Posted by: heypal ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:24PM

Sure, Sisters, c'mon over for dinner and we'll rustle something up for ya. Say, do you prefer collie or dachshund?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:46PM

Be firm and insist on whatever boundaries suit you. It's your house, your time, and your life.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:51PM

I used to feed them all the time. I think they are afraid to send them to me anymore;)

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 10:12PM

Elders always try and feed me the "well, we are transferred around a lot, so we can't promise you won't be visited again" line. Each time I respond with "That's fine, but you got my name from somewhere - write down I want to be left alone."

Date: February 19, 2014 04:15AM

They plan ways to draw people in and manipulate them into baptism and church participation.

My lawyer said if they can do that, they can figure out a way to STOP the unwanted contact they work so hard to start.

If they can't do that, THEY ARE STUPID.

Posted by: midwesternmom ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 08:20AM

Have them over but fix really awful food. Claim you are now an extreme cheapskate and the food was found on a dumpster diving trip.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 04:09PM

get to know them and then give them bits of the real truth

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:56AM

Maybe they were just hungry?
If I remember right, fewer people feed the sister missionaries.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:22PM

Ask for their personal phone numbers (or get the local bishop or MP or whoever's). Tell them you will call every time you get an unsolicited visit, sometime between 9:00pm and 2:00am.

Posted by: Cornelius ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:03PM

Is there a reason you fed the Elders for years but don't want to feed the sisters?

I may have just misread your post but it seemed like you were still actively feeding the Elders when they were transferred out.

Date: February 19, 2014 02:41PM

No one need explain why they don't want to be harassed or why they don't want to entertain people in their homes. Every one of us has a 100% right to determine who we welcome into our home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 02:42PM by Cheryl.

Date: February 19, 2014 04:08PM

It's not a crime to be curious, but thanks for your input Cheryl.

Date: February 19, 2014 05:11PM

No gratefulness for all of those meals, just "curiosity" over not continuing to do it on and on and on . . . .

Date: February 19, 2014 05:50PM

I fed them for years because we were an active family, we no longer wish to associate ourselves with the church. But losing a big family with a former bishopric member as the household head is a hard blow for a small midwestern ward. We have been firm despite lots of calls and visits, we are done with the church. This is just another attempt to get into our home. I have nothing against the sisters, I have everything against the church.

Date: February 19, 2014 06:29PM

I'm not criticizing for not feeding the sisters. I was just confused about the timeline of everything happening.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:27PM

Remember they are just kids, young girls far from home because they (likely their families) believed the lies most of us did. You don't have to take care of them, but remember it isn't their fault.

Date: February 19, 2014 02:38PM

Nor are they forced to be rude.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 05:32PM

Wait a minute.....you fed the elders almost every Sunday up until the time they transfered out? Did you then tell the bishop or whoever that you wanted no more contact?

I'm guessing their motivation just might be that they know you fed the elders regularly, now the elders have been replaced by the sisters.......and they want to be fed too. Especially if the food is good :)

To quote Charlie Brown's little sister in "A Charlie Brown Christmas"......"all I want is what I have coming to me, all I want is my fair share".

When I was a missionary, a regular dinner invitation was a coveted thing, and when you replaced someone with an invite, it came along with the transfer. I would let them come over, feed them just like you did the elders, and see what they are all about. You can always set boundries and control the situation if it comes to that, including telling them to buzz off and not come back.....and who knows, you may have an influence on them, more so than thay have on you.....which could be a good thing for everybody.

Date: February 19, 2014 05:36PM

Sounds like she gave clear message but no one was listening.

Date: February 19, 2014 05:48PM

That's what I'm confused about....she fed the elders up until transfer....then what? It wasn't made clear that she asked for no contact...if so, then yeah, it's the typical mormon chain jerking. If not, then I think the girls are just following up on what ever the elders were doing so often..and if it was eating a regular home cooked meal?......no one would have to tell me to call if it was me wearing that dress and black name tag:)

Date: February 19, 2014 05:52PM

Sorry we have only not been active this year, a couple of months. The elders left around the same time we decided to no longer be involved with the church, it was merely coincidental.

Date: February 19, 2014 06:14PM

Right....so if you haven't specifically told them "please leave us alone"....that's probably the part that they don't understand.

If you did, then yeah, someone told them to call in typical "we don't understand the part where you tell us directly" mormon fashion, or they just want to contact you because they think they might take over that regular invite for dinner.

If it were me, I'd invite them over for dinner, just dinner and a place to get away. Unless your position over the last couple months has changed to "no contact".

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 06:07PM

Sometimes missionaries just want to escape but not look like they are goofing off. Visiting members or better yet inactive members is a good hiding place. On my mission on P-days we hung out at this older inactive members house. we did our laudry there, well I did all the laundry. I even ironed. Felt like a house wife to my companion while he mowed the back yard. Felt good about it to. Then after I finished the laundry I would go out and mow the front yard. Then I would make dinner for everyone. Really was the best day of the week. Then I got transfered to hell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.