Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 04:29PM

So I was thinking of going to the dedication at my local ward, But now I see that you have to have a recommend to attend.
Since when do 8 year olds get a recommend?

Dedication
The Gilbert Arizona Temple will be dedicated in three sessions at 9:00 a.m., 12:00 noon, and 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 2, 2014. Sessions will be broadcast to all stakes and districts in Arizona, and Sunday block meetings will be cancelled for those units. Members ages 8 and older who have been issued a recommend may view the broadcast. Specific instructions for attendance will be made available through local priesthood leaders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 04:59PM

It's not like a temple recommend, just temporary pass to get you into the chapel for the dedication. They don't have an interview, the just have to be active. This makes it difficult for families with children over the age of eight and under the age of eight, not all the family can attend. Again the family centered church leaves someone in the family out of the mix.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 05:20PM

It used to be open to everyone. I think that now they're afraid someone will be in there secretely doing a video of the cultic hankie wave. Well, that and the fact that they need something else to exert control over people.

Date: February 18, 2014 05:28PM

Does anyone know where the main dedication will be? Is it at the Temple? outside?

Date: February 18, 2014 05:47PM

The main dedication is inside the temple.

Posted by: kirchoff ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 05:39PM

Members ages 8 and older who have
> been issued a recommend may view the broadcast.

Unless they mean closed-circuit TV on LD$ property, who are they to tell who can and cannot watch?

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 05:44PM

That's exactly what it is, if I remember correctly.

It's not broadcast on BYU tv or anything. It's piped into meeting houses for the worthy to watch.

But, remember, this is the church that writes "for use only by endowed members of the COJCOLDS" on the underwear they produce. They believe a little too strongly in this "authority" they think they have.

They tell members not to talk about or google what happens in the temple. This board taught me that most faithful members would never DREAM of googling info on the temple ceremony. So, sometimes just saying something is enough for the sheep to follow?

Date: February 18, 2014 05:56PM

I wonder if they will check for recommends at the chapel? I am thinking of going just for giggles.
So I guess the temple sessions are by invitation since there are only so many seats in side. I get two chances to do this. The next one will be when the Phoenix temple is dedicated. Oh and maybe if I want to drive to Tucson when that one is dedicated.

Date: February 18, 2014 06:04PM

Yes they do check for your pass to enter the dedication. You will be turned away without one. And you have to be there half an hour before the meeting starts, they will lock the doors too, so no one can crash.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 06:31PM

Will all the Bishops and Stake Presidents cover up their meetinghouse signs that say visitor's welcome?

More appropriate for dedication Sunday would be to make temporary signs that say:

VISITORS NOT-WELCOMED

TODAY YOU'RE NOT INVITED INSIDE OUR BUILDING - YOU'RE NOT WORTHY. SEE YOU NEXT WEEK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 08:11PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 07:33AM

Remember that if you DO go, you have to bring a white handkerchief in order to do the stupid "Hosanna Shout."

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 08:06AM

The Hosanna Shout is usually pitiful. Not a shout but more like a whimper!

Getting in would be easy if you can get a copy of a pass and duplicate it. In the past you didn't need one. Instead of opening things up, TSCC is closing them further. Cult.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 09:17AM

Even for the Provo temple dedication way back in 1969, I remember how sad the "Hosanna Shout" was: "Hosanna. Hosanna. *sighs* Hosanna. To God and *yawns* the Lamb. Hosanna. Hosanna. To God. And... the Lamb. Hosanna. Hosanna. To Godandthelamb." Personally, I was a bit too excited. It was before all the temples had been built, and was something like number 15 or 16. I was pretty disappointed. I went to one much later. The "Hosanna Shout" was so exciting that I can't even remember what temple it was. Most members lapsed into a sort of profound drool during the 10-minute prayer.

Posted by: Garden B Stinkley ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 09:26AM

Someone should go and wave toilet paper instead of a hanky.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:40AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.