Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Iwasamormonboy ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:38AM

It's flooding my news feed in facebook.

I'm tempted to respond with, "Yes, it truly is a great and spacious building."

But, I know that nothing good would come of it, so I bite my tongue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:39AM

LOL! Something good came of your comment, it made me laugh.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 09:24AM

Let the cult wear out their welcome by the public. Which would you rather be (assuming you had to pick one), an amway dealer before everybody on the planet knew what it was about or amway dealer who has to lie to people to get them to attend a meeting? So let the church be the most well known cult in the world, known for their racism, temple death threats, etc... Every time I see another temple infomercial, I tell people what went on there up until 1990. Maybe your Facebook friends would want to know about that if you're ready to take that step.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 09:26AM

Reply "When they gonna open something that will get used (like a mall)?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 09:26AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:30PM

Maybe people were just curious because of the Travis and Jodi trial. They wanted to see where a temple marriage actually takes place and what made Jodi kill her ex-boyfriend.

Posted by: Elder Hugh Janus ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 11:04PM

I hate the idea of morons in AZ, on the other hand a desert is a fitting place for them, UT withstanding since they are populous in the north, because they already think there's nobody else around other than them anyway

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 11:30PM

My non-believing, but non-resigned DH stated on a tour of the Gilbert temple what a "great and spacious" building it was. I asked if he got dirty looks, but he said he couldn't tell because everyone looked so unhappy.

Date: February 18, 2014 02:35AM

I guess great and spacious buildings are ok if they are *your* great and spacious buildings.

And even without the hypocrisy undertone, the description is factually correct - the Gilbert temple is massive.

Posted by: econmajor ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 10:10AM

Your comment reminded me of my tour of the Brigham City temple in 2012. No one would talk to us. The ushers just awkwardly strained a perma-smile and directed the silent foot traffic through the temple. I said hi to several, asked a few how they were doing...got nothing. Creepy as h€ll.

Posted by: azcrazy ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 04:35AM

Had a TBM relative go through the special dignitary tour with various non member AZ State and city leaders a few week ago. When they all got to the sealing room the tour guide pointed to the alter and said "this is where the marriage is consummated."

It wasn't until they got out to the hall that my relative caught up to him and whispered in his ear "didn't you mean to say "consecrated??"

It was too late, many in the group had already wander off ahead and did not hear the correction. So you can only image what the non LDS are thinking now! LMFAO!

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:06AM

Too funny!!

That's what happens when uneducated, untrained idiots do all the work because they're the only ones who show up.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:59AM

to illustrate and post at the Salamander's Temple devoted all things weird about that secret and certainly not sacred space.
Thanks for sharing.

http://www.salamandersociety.com/temple/

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 04:41AM

'Great and spacious'?

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:21AM

It's a reference to Lehi/Nephi's dream in the BoM. It's a symbol for the "pride and wickedness" of the world and is where all of the heathen gathered to point and laugh at the faithful:

31 And he also saw other multitudes feeling their way towards that great and spacious building.

33 And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not.

36 And it came to pass that I saw and bear record, that the great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great. And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying: Thus shall be the destruction of all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, that shall fight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb. (Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi, 1 Nephi 11)

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:22AM

It's from Lehi's dream in the Book of Mormon. The wicked people point at and mock the good people from a great and spacious building.

Ya beat me. And did a much better job explaining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 09:23AM by Dorothy.

Date: February 18, 2014 10:46PM

In the dream, the great and spacious building symbolizes evil people/organizations that value worldly riches, while mocking good, simple people who are believers in God.

It's about misplaced priorities.

So, it's kind of funny that Mormons then go out and build these massive, expensive buildings.

Date: February 19, 2014 12:52PM

For the record, I would say that the Conference center also qualifies as a great and spacious building. It's not just limited to the temples.

City Creek would also count. So would this planned Philadelphia project...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.