Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leo Walsh ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:23PM

My wife and I and some relatives all went to see the Book of Mormon musical in Atlanta over the weekend. I loved it. Although, could have done without some of the crudeness, it was still very entertaining and quite funny.

I can't imagine any black person wanting to be a Mormon after seeing the play with some of the references made to God changing his mind about black people in 1978 and reading the scriptures that talk about the curse of the dark skin.

Afterwards, we saw about a half dozen missionaries standing outside the theater handing out pass-along-cards. They all had this half smile as if to say "I know you can't possibly be interested in joining our church after watching this play".

I wish I had time to chat with them but had to run home. Anyone have any experiences they'd care to share from watching the BOM musical?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:26PM

Leo Walsh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I know you can't possibly be interested
> in joining our church after watching this play".

"But this is our GA-wannabe mission president's lame idea."

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:26PM

I saw it in Atlanta on Feb 1. Loved it. I laughed that the church had no fewer than three full page ads in the program. I am currently listening to the sound track. Love the song "I Believe."

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:47PM

Turn it off is another classic.

Date: February 11, 2014 01:51PM

That one reminds me of the Primary song "If I Chance To Meet A Frown" in sentiment. love it

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:27PM

The part about the angel telling Joseph to not show anyone the gold plates and just show them the paper version as it's God's way was pretty good too.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:38PM

I saw it was a friend of mine who is Jewish but lived in SLC for a number of years. She thought she understood most of the culture, but when I explained to her that the joke about the pageants, her jaw dropped. (For those who haven't seen it, both acts are opened with a brief recreation of a classic Mormon pageant, like in Palmyra or Manti. There's a glowing Jesus and they're "acting" along to pre-recorded dialogue. It's fantastic.)

Date: February 11, 2014 01:38PM

Yes! I explained and pointed out a number of little things like that to my never Mo husband. He enjoyed it much more because I did. Some things like that flew by so fast he couldn't catch them.

Date: February 11, 2014 01:40PM

My never Mo husband didn't even understand the two missionaries weird underwear. I had explained garments but he had never seen them. I quit wearing them long before them. He was dumbstruck when I explained. LOL

Date: February 11, 2014 01:41PM

And the song's references to Kolob flew by way too fast for him to understand. I explained at an intermission was I was rolling with laughter.

Date: February 11, 2014 01:44PM

Even the fact that the one missionary had not read the entire BOM because he always fell asleep is so true. I told my husband that some of my most devote TBM's relatives have the exact same problem. They fall asleep before they finsh 1 Nephi. In fact I've read it more times than any active member I know. It is boring and repetitive.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:41PM

Got tickets for the 22nd of this month in L.A.

Looking forward to it!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 02:03PM

Did they fix the costume on the mucky-muck who had a kahki(?) suit? It was weird, unless it was supposed to be a white suit for area president playing a Monsoon type character? I forget.

Posted by: GSeputis ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:26AM

Hello - I'm hoping someone can help me... My family saw Book of Mormon in Atlanta at the Fox Theatre on 2/9/14. We LOVED the show, but my son lost his ticket stub! Not only did he want it as a souvenir, but if he shows it at school he can get some (desperately needed) extra credit. Can anyone scan their ticket stub from Atlanta and send it to me?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.