Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonRegularPoster ( )
Date: February 06, 2014 08:42PM

I am thinking about moving home to Honolulu. We left in 1995. The Mormon contingent wasn't very large back then. What should I expect in the way of Mormons in Honolulu now? Have they taken over Manoa (Don Hallstrom's stomping grounds)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 07, 2014 08:05AM

Date: February 09, 2014 09:18PM

not as good as you delightful guys and gals!

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: February 09, 2014 09:25PM

I lived on Oahu in 2003 and the only mo interaction I had was at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I was out of the church by then and was Leeward side. Sorry can't be more help.

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: February 09, 2014 09:35PM

Give it a try! I'm on a different island. When your all pau with
LDS you view your surroundings through a different lens. I know they're around but I don't cross paths with them...that I'm aware.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 03:12AM

Mos have plenty regional influence in small town Laie, Kahuku, Hauula. Otherwise, they don't have any particular influence in Manoa or anywhere else. I doubt you will notice any difference since '95.

Posted by: aloha ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 03:47AM

I can assure you that Mormons have not taken over Manoa, although the Manoa ward has a couple hundred active members and a Hallstrom as bishop. They're harmless enough as evidenced by the beatdown the state legislature gave them over gay marriage despite the stake's best efforts to defeat the proposal. Stores are open on Sunday, there are plenty of places to get coffee, and you won't get run out of town for having a glass of wine. This last part is not true for Laie.

Date: February 10, 2014 08:54AM

like to live near the university again and take classes there with no LDS interference.

I would love to go "home" again. I can smell the fresh sea breeze. Gawd! I'm a hopeless romantic!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 11:05AM

I am SO sick of snow and below-zero temps!

Posted by: Kevin H ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 08:03PM

Hi.

My name is Kevin Hallstrom, and I currently serving as the Bishop of the Manoa Ward. Come, join us for services. Introduce yourself to me; I would love to hear your story.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 08:05PM

Kevin H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi.
>
> My name is Kevin Hallstrom, and I currently
> serving as the Bishop of the Manoa Ward. Come,
> join us for services. Introduce yourself to me; I
> would love to hear your story.

Leave it to a bishop to dredge up a nearly three year-old thread on an ex-mo board.

And they wonder why we ex-mos make fun of bishops?

I'll give you this, Kevin -- you live in Paradise.
Hope the hurricanes miss you this coming week.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 08:14PM

>
> Come, join us for services.
>

Yeah, that's what we said as missionaries! ...to life long Catholics, as if being a mormon was just like being a Catholic, just show up, sit in the pews, toss a couple of pesos into the collection plate and then go home. That's the impression we wanted to make! "Hey, being a mormon is simple!"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 12:19PM

I always wanted to live in Hawaii and see if I really would go island happy in six years. I dated a girl from Oahu and it was the first time she was on the mainland. All she wanted to do was go on big road trips. She liked not being stuck on an island anymore.

Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 01:43PM

Aloha - We have been back on Oahu for 1 1/2 years now and are loving it! There has been no effort to contact us from the local Mormons. We would love to visit old friends from previous wards but we have just been so busy sailing, snorkeling, kayaking, playing rugby, and traveling! (Yes, Rubicon, you do get a little stir crazy living on one island for a long period of time. Oahu is smaller than Salt Lake County.)

I think the key to "going home" and facing familial and community pressure to conform back into Mormonism is to have an overwhelming self confidence, be fulfilling your dreams, and otherwise be actively engaged in a good life! We have found that our Mormon family and friends can't help but to admire that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 01:45PM by polly.

Date: February 11, 2014 08:07PM

Posted by: Elder Hugh Janus ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 10:35PM

All mormons should be deported off the populous islands and made to live on either kauai or the big island.

Date: February 12, 2014 07:33AM

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 07:39PM

I LOVE Molokai. :-) I think it may be the most beautiful place I've ever visited.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 12:35PM

NeverMo in CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I LOVE Molokai. :-) I think it may be the most
> beautiful place I've ever visited.

REALLY? i felt as though I was in one of the least desirable parts of Arizona when i was there. Different strokes, i suppose.

Posted by: Joyce ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 06:49PM

The new Bishop is a Hallstrom. He is a young Bishop for Hawaii but its a nice change. We now live is SLC but visit family in Hawaii a few times a year. The boundaries for Manoa, McCully and Makiki wards change every so often.

Date: February 19, 2014 07:27PM

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:42PM

I went there in 1993. I was visiting a friend who was stationed there with the military. We went to the pro bowl, BYU on the North Shore, was even thinking about taking their travel/ tourism class there at one time. Everything is more expensive there, being an island.
It was pretty though, reminded me of the movie " South Pacific"
I didn't like the weather, too hot, nor the geckos, they had running all over the place.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 12:30AM

ificouldhietokolob said:

"Leave it to a bishop to dredge up a nearly three year-old thread on an ex-mo board."

What?? Bishop Hallstrom didn't dredge up the thread. The OP is AnonRegular Poster. Kevin H replied to this OP today.

I am vey curious, however, if Kevin H is a regular reader of this site? if so, I would be very interested to know what his thoughts are.

Posted by: anon70 ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 01:49AM

The OP was from back in 2014...............

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.