Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 02:50PM

It seems to me when you are losing your base you begin to do what Holland (and maybe other GA's are doing), which is to state "hey I'm involved, and I wouldn't be doing this if it was not true." (Network Marketing 101).

Then he (Holland) makes a sincere appeal to the audience and reminding them how experienced and thoughtful he is as a person.

No matter how many times he does it (or anyone else you may know does it), remember this...

Sincerity is no test of truth.

Period.

People like Holland have so much invested in their positions that it is NOT possible for them to do anything but tow the line.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 04:29PM by Doubting Thomas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 03:00PM

Hundreds of millions of people have given their lives to various
religions, ideas, philosophies, theories etc. The idea of
"trust ME and not THEM" is the purest arrogance, nothing more.

Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 04:17PM

His argument would only work if he was the smartest man on the planet. He's clearly not.

He obviously thinks he's clever. He keeps telling us he's clever. Methinks the man feels like a fool and is desperately trying to save face.

I would be embarassed too if I was him. Wish he'd stop being a moral coward and admit he's made a mistake. Release the minions from bondage and the children from being led by a false prophet.

Liars are cast down to hell. Say's so in the BOM. If he believes in God, he should damn well be worried.

Date: February 03, 2014 04:27PM

"You Can't Kill it, Not This Time." As much as the early jewish leaders thought they could silence the movement by killing Jesus, they realized it wasn't dead. The evidence continued to arise and was undeniable. But even more important, no matter who you killed today, (and they speak freely of such possibilities), there is no way that the apostolic keys will ever be removed again from the earth. It doesn't matter if apostles fall from the faith, if they are killed, or whatever. You can't kill it (the church). It will continue on until the second coming."

Woah! Overtly dramatic here. Gosh, on the defensive much? My goodness. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall in the current Q15 meetings. Are they discussing being lynched? Dragged onto the street and murdered? Seriously. This is so telling. Panic is what I hear. Esp with "if apostles fall..."

But particularly what struck me "you can't kill it. not this time." Creepy.

Well, you can kill it. When your tithing dries up, it's dead. You can have your corporation but I'm quite sure Jesus doesn't want a corporation for a sunbeam!

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 04:33PM

He clearly seems to be defensive. For the average chapel Mormon this must also seem WAY over the top. Can you imagine thinking everything is wonderful inside your little TSCC bubble and then you hear an apostle make the statements Holland was throwing around?

His words may have raised doubt where none existed prior to his talk.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 04:34PM

obviously something is going on or he wouldn't say "You Can't Kill it, Not This Time."

This HAS to be in front of mind for him to actually TALK about it. There is a big battle in the works, I can feel it!!!

Date: February 03, 2014 06:55PM

Perhaps the fact that 'it may die' is the final nail in their cognitive dissonance coffin.

I mean, the ultimate prophecy is that the keys have been restored, never to be taken off the earth until the the second coming.

If the church is disbanded (assets frozen) and the leadership collapes (people leave the faith, people go to jail) I'd say the games up. And if the second coming doesn't happen, perhaps they will finally give it up and admit JS was an ass-hat.

Date: February 03, 2014 04:28PM

Sorry - last post I promise!

Just wanted to add - someone really needs to teach Elder HOlland what the word 'evidence' actually means...

I'm done.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:40PM

Does Holland think we should be astonished to know that he enjoys his lucrative position in a giant money gathering machine?

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:55PM

My favorite part was how the "evidence" was that the book was physically there in front of him.

Seems like that's all the evidence I need to believe in Frodo and the One ring.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.