Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 09:49AM

So glad the Board is back up-thanks mods for all you do. I've been dying to post this.

So the above statement was made on Saturday by TBM DH. We were talking about the constant attempted visits by the mishies and the first counselor. I said that if they don't stop "I'm going to resign." Apparently he doesn't realize that you can "quit." What other "church" (corporation) makes you right a letter of resignation? I said yeah, you write a resignation letter to Salt Lake. Then he comes up with "why would you do that?" You'll be sorry in the next life and you'll ruin your eternal life, blah, blah, blah."

I really wanted to get a reaction-which I did. His sister, her DH and teenage kids resigned a couple of year ago. At that time everyone was aghast at that! He asked me about them and I told him, yes they did resign.

To make a short story long, he asked me if I was still a member (in my heart and brain, no). Well folks, the big chicken that I am didn't want to go any further. That's why I can't "quit." TBM DH already has mental problems (OCD- came home early from mission, dysfunctional TBM family).

A gasket would be blown, a screw is loose, one wave short of a ship wreck, knitting with only one needle, not in the pink, and doesn't have a clue.

Dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 09:53AM

"I wouldn't be resigning from the truth. I would be resigning from a fraud"

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 09:59AM

Great song reference, though!

Date: February 03, 2014 10:02AM

You got it! Freddie was so brave working up to the end of his life. This song is my anthem some days.

Sometimes, I feel like "I'm going slightly mad."

I'm driving only 3 wheels these days. I think I'm a banana tree!

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 01:06PM

It's a great song on a very melancholy album:

http://youtu.be/Fb-3seZSQ_Q

Posted by: LOLILOL ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 10:32AM

LDS, Inc., doesn't make anyone resign. They would rather excommunicate us, like they did for decades upon decades. Resignation is a legal right granted to us from the courts.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 10:41AM

He's pretty much resigned from the truth by believing in Mormonism.

Posted by: aly150 ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 10:56AM

Do you have to resign or just quit going like I did. Is it easier or harder on your family? My DH believes still and one daughter. Any advice?

Date: February 03, 2014 12:39PM

I don't "have to resign." I have stopped going. I guess with TBM spouse, "they" will harrass me no matter what.

Dennis

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:28AM

"Sure you can. I did when I was baptized"

Posted by: brandelion ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:34AM

That's a really hard place to be in. DH = dear husband, right? (Or something else? I read it as dear husband.) I don't have advice, but you have my sympathy.

Though my husband isn't a believer and he's on board with sending our letter of resignation, it's still sitting on my desk. I dread the day my family members find out. My aunts, grandparents, father, cousins, etc., and I think even my non-believer mom will feel upset with me because she'll see it as me giving a black eye to the family. It's my mom I don't want to upset more than anyone. So I'm also chicken, and I haven't sent my resignation. I want to do it for me, though - just have to work up to it.

Date: February 03, 2014 12:42PM

Thanks for the sympathy. A double dose back at you too!

Dennis

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:41AM

I still can't believe that there was a time when the Mormon church wouldn't let you resign - you HAD to be excommunicated!

It actually took the courts to tell the church that everyone has a natural right to associate as they please.

Mormon arrogance is astounding!

Posted by: ConfusedAnon ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:50AM

I'm confused.

Your username is Dennis, you signed your post Dennis, but you refer multiple times to your "TBM DH" including in the subject line.

There's nothing wrong with gay marriage, but I can't see it happening with anyone who is "TBM".

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:58AM

I like the name Dennis for anyone of either gender.

Don't be fooled into thinking women can't be named Michael or Billy, Joe or Dennis.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 12:01PM

Dennis Moore... reference from Monty Python.

Date: February 03, 2014 12:37PM

I am a she! Love Monty Python.

On NOM, I'm Going Slightly Mad.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:55AM

When you're ready, resignation brings peace of mind and freedom of thought. Good luck.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 12:34PM

My answer would be "I can resign from whatever the f*** I want...and the "truth" is an oxymoron when applied to anything LDS anyway.

Ron Burr

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 02:05PM

strawberryshortcake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will
> set you free."
>
> John 8:32

" . . . but first it will piss you off."

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 04:22PM

You resign from something that you feel you want to have nothing to do with–ever again.

Other denominations simply see people leave. When I joined the church I did not "resign" from the Catholic Church. I simply stopped going and no one came to ask why or invite me back. (Kind of lame. At least one contact would have been acceptable.)

Many people do simply leave without resigning. Like I wrote, you resign from organizations you don't want to be affiliated with in the future in any way, shape or form.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.