Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 03:59PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku4n3-j2PwU

Just sick. Instead of actually answering the kid's question, Bednar humiliates him, terrifies him, and then physically holds the kid down in "the devil's territory". Now this poor kid is going to be wondering every day how close he is to this completely imaginary line in the sand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:05PM

It's good that even some of the TBMs in the comment section disagree with Bednar's behaviour.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:47PM

There are no comments.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:00PM

I think you have to wait a little for them to load after scrolling down

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:05PM

That is abusive and Bednar should have been taken to jail for it.

Date: January 15, 2014 04:31PM

This is the worst part imo.

Bednar: Are you liking this?

Boy: No.

Bednar: Do you like going in this direction?

Boy: No

Bednar: Is it going to help you to remember to do these things?

Boy: Um, no.

Bednar: Er, well think about the question. Are you liking going in this direction?

Boy: No

This exchange perfectly shows the mentality in mormon culture. When Bednar asks these questions, he's not actually ASKING a question. He's already chosen what the answer is supposed to be, and the boy is supposed to say the answer he's chosen. What the boy says makes no difference.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:40PM

it's a rug, fer chrissakes. What bothers me is how he feels entitled to put hands all over the kid like that ... so licentious. STRANGER DANGER!!! Kid needs a whistle, or a safe word or something.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 04:49PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:41PM

Someone posted this is an FB-group I belong to. I commented that this clip reinforces an irrational distrust I have against men with shiny shoes.

Somehow I always picture an SS-officer obsessively shining his shoes in the morning before stepping out on the concentration camp courtyard to take roll call.

I don't know, maybe I've watched too many movies...

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:16PM

You are right. Goebbels in his uniform.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:54PM

Such a sweet boy. It makes me sick what the church is doing and will do in the future to his mind. I wanted to reach through the screen and take him out of that room.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:56PM

Why the fuck is he straddling him at the end?

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:58PM

I thought it was weird how Bednar, a grown man, hugged the boy from behind and kept asking him to push back. It seemed like the behavior of a pedophile. Gross.

Posted by: michaelff ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:57PM

He comes across as the VP of sales conducting a poorly thought out training meeting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 04:57PM by michaelff.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:05PM

I didn't watch it to the end the first time, and I wanted to go back and make sure it was really as uncomfortable as I thought it looked.

Is the kid crying at 4:20, when the camera zooms in? Looks like he is! And Bednar just ignored it.

OMG. If that was my kid, I'd be so mad.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:05PM

Perfect.

Using the youngster as a prop.
After all -
TBMs are simply props.

Mormonism:
Oppression is not just a way of life.
It’s a calling.

Date: January 15, 2014 05:33PM

The sad thing is I bet everyone in the room thought "Oh look, he's crying! He must be feeling so spiritual!"

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:37PM

(1) The boy learned: A hug that won't let go is Satanic.

(2) The boy learned: If you're on the rug and Jesus gives you a hug, he will let go when you step off the rug.

(3) The boy learned: To have fear of the Devil.

(4) The boy DID NOT LEARN: To love Jesus and God.

Bednar has just reduced the entire Temple Endowment Ceremony to an object lesson for kids.

The Mormon Temple does not teach you to LOVE God. It teaches you to fear Lucifer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 06:03PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:50PM

What I learned from this video is that if you ask an apostle a question he will hold you tight and butt rape you.

Posted by: Crud ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:01PM

It sounds like the question itself was a set-up from the start. Do you really think this shy kid raised his hand out of his own initiative?

The rug idea was decided on well before the meeting started. The kid was selected in advance to ask the question.

Nothing about this seems genuine -- especially Bednar's supposed thoughtfulness about how to get the point across.

There are numerous examples of letters sent to local leaders in advance of a meeting by Bednar. Leaders are informed how to prepare members for the Apostle's grand appearance.

Like the rest of Mormonism - it's all phony!

Date: January 15, 2014 06:11PM

Really? It looked to me like Bednar was just pulling it out of his ass as he went along. I mean, that was a terribly poorly thought out analogy. The Lord's territory is a rug, and the devil's territory is a carpet. Do you want to be standing on a rug, or a carpet? - Hell if I give a rat's ass! There's no difference. You read your scriptures and take a step that way. Say your prayers and that gives you another step. Now be nice to your brothers and sisters. Good, now I'm in the middle. Ok, so I say my prayers again, and go to church, magnify my calling... shit, I just walked off the rug!

Date: January 15, 2014 06:44PM

My experiences with this sort of thing as a mormon was when a high profile member was doing a fireside, etc. usually we were asked to submit questions beforehand, and then the best would be picked out and answered by the speaker.

Date: January 15, 2014 06:06PM

The entire video is staged:

1) Perfect smiling, laughing and adoring audience fawning all over an Apostle.

2) Look at those lighting fixtures.

3) Recorded in High Definition.

4) Recorded in a professional studio.

All done for PR and image --- and --- Bednar didn't even answer the boy's question. Asshat!

I still can't forget the look in his eyes during his Oct 2013 general conference talk on "tithing" where he scolded those not paying their entrance fees to heaven. Many saw exactly what I did in his address: no whites of his eyes were visible to the camera. All you could see were dark holes staring over the pulpit. . . Creeeeeeeepy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 06:12PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: John Ferrier ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:14PM

Unless you have been brainwashed into thinking this is a special lesson by a special person, there is no way any non-pedofile person can think this is a good thing. That poor kid was scared to death, crying, and he got nothing from it other than pushed into "Satan's territory." And for a "minor" sin no less. The kid is scarred and the parents and everyone in that room should be ashamed of themselves!

More videos like this will expose how truly terrible they are - all without the help of "antis."

Date: January 15, 2014 06:17PM

What the hell kind of PR department would let such a video out? I mean, the super-creepy hug from behind will pretty much automatically trigger thoughts of priesthood sex abuse scandals in any informed person. My guess is this is more an example of an apostle getting too far from his handlers

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:28PM

Agreed -- this video is set up. Why would a little boy ask that question? Essentially admitting that he's not reading his scriptures. Then the rug (the Lord's territory) just happens to be there? How convenient.

The kid was coached, and Bednar thought he was being real deep with his demonstration. Not acceptable.

Brought to you by the good folks at Churchco®

P.S. Pay your tithing or repent, you evildoer.

Posted by: AnnaMaria ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:08PM

Here's the strange thing. At 2:31 in the movie, on the first row behind Bednar, you see a lady in a blue dress next to a young man in a dark suit and next to him a young woman wearing a pink sweater with flower skirt.

The lady in blue is Bednar's wife. The other two are Bednar's son and his daughter-in-law. I know, I used to be in their ward.

It looks like he has his family as audience members. Kind of weird using them as props.

Posted by: fundamentard ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:18PM

Haha this is at the level of Michael Scott in The Office!! The kind of thing corporate has to sponsor sensitivity training on!

This is what happens in a world without checks and balances-- the world where you think everything you do is right because everyone just kisses your ass all day. What a f@ckwit! So. Creepy.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:20PM

This is so awful. It very much reminds me of being in meetings where bishopricks etc. did things like this. They always talk in the soft creepy voice. I call it the TBM brainwashing voice and I hate it. Do you all know the voice I mean, so superior, so arrogant and yet soft and annoying? I hope this kid NEVER goes on a mission. I hope he has the balls (if this moron didn't scare them off of him) to go into the so called "Devil's area" and stays there. This asshole should have the crap beat out of him, the sickening pedophile. He was getting off on the closeness of the poor boy from behind.
This certainly adds fuel to my "moron TBMs" opinion. They all sit and watch and laugh and smile. Please get an IQ at least in the double digits TBMs please. These single digit IQs are scary.
This boy is 12? Wow! He looks like he is about 10. At any rate, he was being abused. What is it with TBMs and molesting children? And in front of other TBMs? I feel like puking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 06:22PM by verilyverily.

Date: January 15, 2014 06:47PM

Yes, I know what voice you're referring to.

I think the reason so many priesthood holders speak with that voice is because they see the Apostles speak like that at General Conference, and they try to copy them. Apostles are pretty much worshipped by the general membership (hence why the whole crowd in this video sat there grinning; I find it easily believable that they did that without being told to).

Date: January 15, 2014 06:28PM

I just watched several times between seconds 10 and 12.

Most have their heads turned to focus on the young boy's question.

Freeze frame at 12-13 seconds. Everyone is looking at Bednar as if to say, "Great question from the kid. Now I can't wait to hear your answer." Then the Apostle of the Mormon God gives a creepy object lesson and doesn't answer the boy's question.

That hug at the end is disgusting. It's the only time an Apostle can hug a young lad that close, that tight, and from behind and think he can get away with it in public because his teaching skills are so profound.

Date: January 15, 2014 06:37PM

I hope there is an archived copy of this video being saved along with a still frame of Bednar bending down, spreading his legs and practically humping the kid.

If and when Bednar becomes President of TSCC, I hope the non-Mormon media flashes this picture around.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:56PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:59PM

If the rug is God's territory--the entire audience is in Outer Darkness...

just sayin'...

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:02PM

Someone make a copy before they take it down!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:13PM

I am truly outraged. Outraged at ALL the adults who sat there and watch this play out without putting an end to it. That child was CRYING for gawd's sake and so very, very terrified.

I, too, think it was all a PR setup and the poor kid was volunteered to take part. My guess he was only doing it to please, please, please his parents and the organization. "You'll do it, won't you son? It is such an honor. What? Speak up. You don't really want to? Now, you know better than to turn down this opportunity." etc. etc. etc. etc.

And, on and on it often goes........forever in a child's life in the MORmON Church!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:14PM

I just watched the LOOKS JUST LIKE YOU episode of Twilight Zone. I don't know how I missed that one before, but I did. I used to call TSCC the Stepford church. Marilyn in the story had the most profound lines which remind me of myself for a few years before I was OUT of TSCC. Shame TSCC has such a hold on some people. Let's hope it is nearly over.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.