Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 05:26PM

What an ass.

It never occurs to him that his "nourishing" sessions are boring as hell and the youth would rather watch paint dry than attend.

And who wants to attend dances where the lights are turned up, dorky music is playing, and intrusive eyes are on them all night?

The idiot wonders what the youth are doing between 6:30 and 9:30 on a Friday night?

Well,duh, most likely having dinner and getting ready for a night out having FUN.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 05:37PM

Oh gawwwwwwwwwwd!

"Oh, no, where were the 16 to 18 years olds on a Friday night???" Probably at a spiritually life threatening R-rated movie. Having fun. It's a little easier to force 12-16 year olds to go to the church because they can't drive.

But don't get him wrong, it's not his intent to intimidate anyone. Rescue the youth before it's too late. Well, Mr. Phillips, if this is the best plan you got. It's already too late.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 06:02PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh gawwwwwwwwwwd!
>
> "Oh, no, where were the 16 to 18 years olds on a
> Friday night???" Probably at a spiritually life
> threatening R-rated movie.

LOL! Yep, they are necking in a rated R equivalent for the UK movie.

> It's already too late.

They need to up the fun factor. A bunch of adult leaders hanging around an old meeting place with nothing to do but help the tender little young lambs sounds like "The Fun Killers."

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 05:39PM

Doing homework so you don't have to do it on the weekend,
Working, getting ready for that stupid scout thing, dinner, hanging out with your true friends.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 05:43PM

Oh..My.. Gosh...

I almost slipped into a coma reading that.

Posted by: Please Anon ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 05:52PM

What a ****wit. A real Mortard. He can't connect the dots?

Lets look at what he thinks these kids want to be doing at 6:30 on a Friday night.
e youth will not be 100%, until those responsible to watch over the youth are 100%.

That said, we want your input, guidance, and counsel as well. There are currently the following categories of activities scheduled for the youth in 2014 -
Temple / ward & stake temple baptistry opportunities in which youth can participate = 4 to 6 for each unit
Seminary & Youth Activity Nights = 8 (9 including graduation)
Dances / FSY / Conventions / Camps / Other = 5
Temple baptistry sessions are set with the temple presidency and are already scheduled for 2014. Dances, FSY, and conventions are set within the CCM and are also scheduled for 2014. The seminary & youth activity nights are for our wards only. W

And he wonders why attendancenis !9%?

Funk me. I feel for those kids.

Some guy just moved into my OLD ward from his stake. he is an American guy, lectures at uni. I met him the day I resigned. I said hey isnt that SP Bro Phillips+ he said yeah, all excited. Asked do you know him? I said no, I know his father, one of the men with the most integrity I've ever known.

I have another buddy in that stake. They have no idea.

I feel for this guy. It's all I can do to manage the anger to these despicable liars in SLC and the damage their noble lies cause, the false Christ people think they are worshipping...were worshipping.

Eventually shelves will have to break. If he is one of them, id reckon he would go full metal jacket (metaphorically)
Wow, did the anger seethe from his ears.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 06:20PM

Wouldn't it be ironic if "The October Surprise" became The March Surprise? Tom Phillip's son would have whatever his father is cooking appear the same time he gets the let down on his goals for increasing LDS Inc.'s youth activity.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:57PM

Is this Tom's son?

Posted by: Anon in Australia ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:08PM

Yes. It's a confused world isn't it.

The look on this guys face when he said hey wow you know him, (referring to the son/ SP I had just asked if that was the stake he was in..he Said yada yada they were good friends).

When I said no not him, but I know his father, (a lie, but my DW did communicate via email one or two times and read me the email and I did listen to a 6 hour interview).

Anyway, when I said no, I knew his father Tom..a man of great integrity...etc.

Well.

It was a Daniel Day Lewis there will be blood kind of look.

Poor guy. He'd just brought his family to Melbourne from London and it was his first day in the new ward. Must have wondered what he was walking into.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:36AM

I'd like to see this taken down because of Tom's personal info. Why did this not occur to people. Most here knows that Alan is Tom's son.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 05:52PM

It's a 2 to 1 ratio, 30 boys vs 17 girls.
What guy is going to attend an activity like that?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:52PM

So, "feed my lambs" means control your children?

No wonder I have a hard time understanding Mormons. Anything can mean anything.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:27PM

Did you all see the comment his own father printed underneath the SP's message.

Hilarious.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 09:00PM

The comment was the best part. It must be hell being a sp and having a father who demands integrity and truth.

Posted by: Regular ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:36PM

Can someone verify if that response at 7:01 posted below the SPs email is really from Tom Phillips? If so, I believe I have lost all respect for Tom.

Mo or not, that response is really inappropriate to post to your son in a public forum.

I hope that either

1. It's not Tom

2. Tom is suffering from mental illness and this behavior can be explained as a result of that.

Other than those explanations I think a lot of us should reevaluate our allegiance to Tom.

Wow.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 09:18PM

Pretty sure it's not Anointedone, but rather some asshat that probably saw this thread, went over there, and took it upon themselves to comment.

It pisses me off when TBMs come onto this forum to spew their bullshit. It likewise pisses me off when some exMo goes over and throws a bomb in response to some message that was obviously never intended for them.

Posted by: Regular ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 09:23PM

I hope you are right that it is not him.

Also, I can't edit my prior post but I should not have said we should reevaluate our allegiance to Tom if that was him. I should have simply indicated that I am reevaluating while awaiting more info (hopefully confirmation or not that he wrote that disappointing post to his son in a public forum).

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 09:51PM

I doubt Tom wants anyone to have faith in him.

Personally I expect it is him.

That is Google. I don't believe it is a private program/ network. I'm reading it, as are anyone.

He is a leader of a cult that exploits peoples goodness, breeds fear, guilt and shame, and steals money from people and tells them it is better their children go hungry, cold or homeless.

This was one of those emails asking how to trap another generation of children who have no way to protect themselves from this evil church.

I fail to see how anyone could support this entity.

Now, it can be argued that Tom is airing his dirty laundry in public, but as far as I am aware this guy won't even accept communication from Tom. If so, then this SP opening it to the public opens himself to public reply. Personally I see the reply as entirely in context to the content, and in particular the targets of their schemes, which I might add show complete absence of inspiration. If I were a member being asked ny him for ways to deliver up my children to this corrupt organization built on lies and deception, I would very much like to know more about the person driving the local full press campaign. Wouldn't you? I could care less about the person saying it. Id like to know about the *content* of the claim.

Replace Mormon with Scientoligist, now tell me you lost respect for Tom?

Exactly.

And we don't know the half of it. And I am sure those reading it would either know Tom, or know of him.

Take yourself to Sweden 4 years ago before half the members left. It took brave people calling out the b/s for the tipping point to occur there. You think that would have been a Kumbaya kind of thing, members quietly just stopped coming? I doubt it. I'm sure there were some frank and pointed emails going around.

Bravo Tom for putting his name to it. He could very easily have gone anon on it. I'm going anon because I fear for being apparent on the net and it's impact on my name visible to search engines and employment.

Or we'd prefer the locals get the email and just feel more guilt and shanghai more kids?

We call it The Morg for very good reasons.

This isnt Rotary. It is a damaging, vacant institution, impersonating the gospel

May it crash and burn.

But I doubt it will without people shaking the fear and cog diss out of those deep inside.

I know I needed it. And learning about the second anointing was the first real kick in the guts I had in the leaving process that then started. Then, was I prepared to look at all the accumulated nonsense I'd been putting on the shelf

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:53AM

Posted by: Das boot ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 09:23PM

All those kids are playing video games then they all sit around texting each other. A few play sports and heaven forbid they have a game that night and their friends come to watch.

Posted by: Bytching against the pricks ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 10:54PM

Looks like someone hacked into a closed user group. Perhaps Pagag can explain.
Probably shouldn't point this out, but you can click on the "Hyde Park Stake Presidency" button and access a bunch of semi juicy traffic between members of that stake presidency and their high council. Proposed callings, various exhortations, notes marked confidential with personal details and more.
Maybe the admin here should remove the link?

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 01:33AM

No they shouldn't lol.
Some interesting reading there.

SA playing musical chairs on New Years Eve ?
WTF?
Are they 12 or something?

Next year all they'll get is Family Home Evening on New Years Eve lmao.

Looks like the usual problems, bad attendance, mentally ill members and a few people at the top trying to make this whole mess work but running in circles.

Gawd I'm so glad we're out.

Date: January 15, 2014 01:33AM

No they shouldn't lol.
Some interesting reading there.

SA playing musical chairs on New Years Eve ?
WTF?
Are they 12 or something?

Next year all they'll get is Family Home Evening on New Years Eve lmao.

Looks like the usual problems, bad attendance, mentally ill members and a few people at the top trying to make this whole mess work but running in circles.

Gawd I'm so glad we're out.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 02:18AM

I know SP Phillips - he's a genuinely nice guy and he perhaps means well despite the hint of some personal cog dis & some NOM tendencies that his father (anointedone) has flagged.

I'm not at all defending him but he probably is a bit caught between a rock and a hard place. Revered and highly respected by many, elevated to a leadership role at a relatively young age in one of the highest profile stakes in the UK (always entertaining visiting GA / public dignitaries), well known by GAs and Elder Holland, yet father is an increasingly influential 'apostate' who replies on his son's public message board (I believe it is from Tom and not someone who has hacked in).

He's a commercial businessman and like other stake presidents in similar employment, there's often a strong focus on 'the numbers' and 'growth', which is only exacerbated by tight reporting lines to similar business-oriented Area/General Authorities.

I'm sure when SPs sit in their PPIs with their 'line managers' there's a very strong focus on growth and numbers - you only had to read the publicised Europe Area Plan to get a sense of just how corporately things are run.

I don't know Alan's heart and whether he is struggling internally with doubts, whether he has decided to simply 'turn it off' or if he is purposely deceiving others and exacerbating the scam. He reminds me of another successful business-man type SP I know - one of the nicest men you could ever meet, but currently hopelessly trapped in perpetuating the deceit, probably without even really recognising it, or at least wanting to look deep internally and honestly ask those difficult questions (which is where I was a couple of years ago).

Posted by: trog ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 02:45AM

I find it strange that the SP compared himself to a large female African cat. Considering the entire letter I am wondering if the SP might be perceived by his flock as a weirdo, and a bad leader.

Date: January 15, 2014 03:02AM

D'oh.

The Chinese dude probably had him pegged right - not enough life experience and too cushy in his overall station to understand other people's problems. Let alone show compassion.

Same old,same old.

People join because they are promised it's the Lord's true church. Then they find themselves caught in a damn bureaucracy.

Date: January 15, 2014 04:21AM

I'm sure we could say similar about plenty of high leaders in other damaging cults like scientology and Jehovah witnesses.

Seriously, his own father can tell him about the second anointing, and the juicy sh** he knows about Holland and the filthy money grubbers running the church.
He can ask his mother, did it happen. She says yes, or no.
She says yes, how can he possibly not believe that's not something man could do. It's anti Christian. Man cant secure another persons salvation. The second anointing stands against everything we believe about god and man. If he knows it has happened but perpetuates that belief system, after having ALL this information about the lds church at his internet fingertips, then in my opinion he is not a person who should be tending Christ's lambs (which are not children by the way, they were the weak, new, vulnerable to the new word of Christ)

Or, she lies and denies. In which case she would also be being supported in this lie by the organization.

Gee, now he is a stake president, hob nobbing with all the powerful church leaders. Fancy that. Made stake president.gee, how good is that. Kinda like getting Hans Mattsons son to be one if they could. Nice way to shut the threat of his message down to the local Swedes don't you think.

Maybe if he has no son, the church could identify the likely leaders of the community, make them big promises, patronize them, and make them feel special. Let them think they are on the inside, movers and shakers. Keep them so busy they won't have time to even think.

Now, go read again toms post.

Can I ask this.

1. Do you believe Tom and his wife received a Second Anointing?
2. Do you think Alan believes they do.

And I want your educated guess. I don't know is a b/s answer.

Date: January 15, 2014 04:42AM

(That reply was for Sherlock)

Posted by: 4t ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:47AM

There's another reply been posted. Was this someone here or do you think its genuinly a youth leader in his stake? If it was, I may get the popcorn out...

"President Phillips,

First of all--thank you for everything you do for our wonderful stake. On behalf of myself and all other bishops, it's clear you have high aspirations for our youth.

With that said, I've decided to post anonymously as I fear my true opinion will likely bring down unwanted consequences upon me and my family.

My first thought involves the question you asked of what our youth were doing between 6:30 and 9:30pm on a Friday night. What do you think they were doing? They were out with friends having fun. As I look at the activities planned for the coming year, I cannot see one that promises to be anything other than dry and boring. Yes...the temple is a nice activity and the quietness of mind can be a great experience. However, the youth will not likely attend that or any of the other activities until you (we?) stop trying to exercise unrighteous dominion by forcing them to attend activities for which they have no interest. Instead of forcing our idea of "fun" onto them, why don't we ask THEM what they'd like to do. A key to "saving" our youth is meeting them where they are and building meaningful relationships.

Secondly--why do you assume they're out on a Friday night in spiritually perilous situations? I for one have confidence our youth are pretty good kids. Will they make choices that lead to less light in their lives? Of course. Didn't you? The solutions isn't forcing them to make the right choice. The solution is developing meaningful relationships to gain real influence in their lives. This is how we teach. Inviting the youth to a dance where they're being overseen by adult leaders who have no idea who they really are is not a solution. Why would they choose a dance where their every move is watched?

Finally, I think you may be slightly out of touch with reality. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this seems a bit overbearing to expect all adult leaders to attend your activities. The youth sense your lack of connection as do the leaders although no one will dare say anything for fear of retaliation.

As for me personally, I am willing to support and sustain my leaders but I'm not sure how much longer I can stand by and watch our youth pushed away from the church by leaders whose only strategy is force. Please reconsider your ways.

Sincerely,

Concerned Bishop or counselor"

Posted by: Anono ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:20AM

I am amazed that the emails are publicly available for anyone to view. There is sensitive personal information in them and leaders should be well aware of the strict requirements of the UK's Data Protection Act when it comes to dealing with personal data and, in particular sensitive personal data.

The email headed "complaint" is illustrative not only of the church's failure to protect the complainant's personal information from being made public but also the arrogance of the SP in his email discussing the complaint.

The Information Commissioner might be interested in this. Perhaps the complainant should be alerted that his complaint is now publicly available and he might want to register a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:42AM

Oh stop complaining

Date: January 15, 2014 08:01AM

Get the popcorn alright.
That guy is a star.
I give him 3 years, tops.
That was me 3 years ago. Once you decide to question the inspiration of your line leaders....and pen it...like that, well, it's all over.
You eventually suspend the cog diss, confirmation bias goes out the window, and you start seeing all the lies and deception.
Bravo sir. Bravo

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 08:02AM

His emails just confirm how few Mormons stay with the church after they grow up. Even while living at home, most of them have better things to do than go to church activities.

He seems pretty out of touch and very into his own glory. I don't get that email from his dad, but it does reinforce the idea that it is about him and not about the youth he is allegedly trying to save. Even a bishop dares to call him on his nonsense.

The church offers so little to its members and expects so much. Who can see that better than a teen with so many other options out there and who are on the cusp of leaving their parents' home to strike out on their own?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.