Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Athens415 ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 09:51AM

On the 19th, salt lake is broadcasting a special stake conference program (to Orange County California at least). Let's start the rumors!

They will announce that this whole thing is a joke. Haha. Then they will split their money among all members.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 09:56AM

It will be two hours of banging the "hastening the work" drum.

Posted by: ericexnotloggedin ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:24PM

I hear the same tear-filled annoucement about the amazing stake conference...My gues is that they will play the lowest, cheapest card they have:

The endtimes are nigh, wheat and tares are being separated...be ready to fulfil all the coventants and promises you made in the temple.

Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 09:59AM

No doubt it will be full of the timeless classics, pay,obey and pray, with emphasis on the pay and obey parts.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:01AM

Can't find purpose of "special stake conference" in lds.org

Are these called to address unanticipated serious problems that cannot wait until the routinely scheduled swilling?

Perhaps Anointedone has something to do with this sudden panic.

Date: January 06, 2014 10:04AM

You will find that my "speculation" is right on the money.

Date: January 06, 2014 10:08AM

But why now?

Date: January 06, 2014 10:44AM

They are doing the rounds.

Every Stake will get a special Stake Conference over time and the message will be about hastening the work. Why now? Money is tight and activity rates are low.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:16AM

Our stake conference in Santa Barbara County is also on Jan 19 by satellite.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:23AM

It doesn't sound like this is a "special" stake conference. This is standard practice now...every other stake conference is a regional conference with a broadcast of GA speakers.

Date: January 06, 2014 10:25AM

Thanks.
First logical interpretation.

Date: January 06, 2014 10:47AM

Why isn't my speculation logical?

Whenever a Special Stake Conference has been convened in the last 12 months it has been for a "hastening the work" message. If this 'special' Stake Conference is now just a scheduled Stake Conference or Conference broadcast well that's an entirely different meeting. But the message will still be "hastening the work".

Date: January 06, 2014 10:59AM

OK

yours is logical too then

Date: January 06, 2014 11:04AM

Are you just pandering to my outburst?
If so, carry on, I like it!

Date: January 06, 2014 11:07AM

If it is "special" then that begs the question "why."
Chump said nothing "special" about it.
In that context your conclusion is entirely logical.

But saw his post first.

Date: January 06, 2014 11:13AM

Keep massaging, my ego is nearly all better.....

Posted by: Krampus! ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:20AM

it will just be another MLM seminar.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:59AM

Ya know... we could put a sticky at the top, "Special Stake Conference?" And on the inside, "It happens all the time. Nothing new. Just a marketing ploy to get people to attend to listen to the same demands."

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:31PM

Yep. It's like having a "special" musical number in sacrament meeting. It's not really special, it's just not the same hymn as every other week. So this stake conference is not really special, it's just not the same meeting you have 50 other weeks of the year. Otherwise it's same old, same old.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 12:06PM

I think the rate at which people are jumping off the mormon boat has them in a tizzy. They can't think of what to do, so they have another 'special' meeting. Better known in the real world as panic attacks.

Date: January 06, 2014 12:08PM

madalice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Better known in the real world
> as panic attacks.

LOL!

Good one, Madalice!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 12:52PM

We have them here in Canada too. Sometimes broadcast from one of the Ontario stakes, others broadcast from the west. It is advertised as a "special Stake Conference for Canadians" with speakers from the FP and Q12 who are traveling to give special counsel specifically for the members in Canada.

Interesting, they never said 'thank you Canada for all the money sent to BYU', I had the find that on my own. =)

Funny thing is that when I was trying to hold on to the what was left of my 'testimony' I attended one of these conferences with the intend to listen, to really listen to the special message. It was transmitted from the west, probably Calgary. Uchdorf and Packer were the special authorities. At some point the whole conference began sounding that a big MLM cheer up meeting. I noticed how they were so happy to see brother X who had been one of the pioneers in the area, and family Y who run the temple, and just building up of these people. I had no idea who they were, but the whole thing was exactly how they built up the families here on the east when it was our turn to host the conference. And Uchdorf was talking about his 'coach' who was coaching him on what to say, which words to use, what to avoid, his accent, etc. when he visited Canada and especially the northern parts of Canada. It was the conference that confirmed to me this was all a business and not a church. So, please brethern keep organizing these faith-killing conferences.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:14PM

Thanks for posting that. I think you have it exactly right!

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:23PM

It probably is a satelite broadcast that they are showing, nothing important.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 05:40PM

We just had the 5th Sunday combined men and women meeting at church. Yup, Hastening the Work. I asked the bishop how this was difference from lengthening your stride or every member a missionary. He stated "same product, new packaging." The man can make a joke!

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 06:04PM

The current stake conference schedule is:

Year 1, Half 1: Stake President in charge
Year 1, Half 2: Someone from SLC in charge (apostle or 70 flunky)
Year 2, Half 1: Stake President in charge
Year 2, Half 2: Regional broadcast from SLC or from somewhere in the region.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

My guess is it is just the regular rotation of the regional broadcast. This has been the rotation pattern for at least 5 years.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 07:11PM

Our local Jan stake conference was announced by email today - and it mentioned that under the direction of the first presidency the Sat eve session (now to be attended by all 12+ and not just the adults) is to be on the topic of........... wait for it..........."Hastening the work of Salvation"(TM).......yawn.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:21PM

The votes are tallied and... Hastening of the work it is!!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:38PM

Salt Lake is broadcasting to Orange County CA stake? This seems weird. With the technology now, they could broadcast to every stake in the US (maybe the entire world) with one broadcast. I am wondering why they are broadcasting to a stake in CA and no place else. Or are there other locations on this too?

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:44PM

That will do [TM]

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:53PM

I recently came across a stake conference announcement flyer from the 1960's.

A big box in the middle of the page blared out that this would be a SPECIAL conference and everyone should be sure to attend.

It's like an end-of-world announcement. They just never happen, but they never go away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.