Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:03PM

At my request, RfM poster "shum"/"shummy" has rolled out, in another thread, an experience he had with Gordon B. Hinckley during a mission-worthiness interview--a tale which, in my opinion, does not deserve to be buried in some other guy's thread.

There, 'shum" revealed the following:

"Well, Jeez, Steve, [I'm] so in awe of your hobnobbing with the Lard's anointed, but I will be Eternally grateful for meeting up with at least one when he was a young up and comer in 1968, i.e., Elder Gordo B Hinckster. I'll always cherish the memory of that day in his office when he turned me down for a mission call.

"I eventually realized that as he threw me out of his office he was kindly throwing me a life-line out of the Morg.

"Such fond memories I have of that raging old goat. Could be why he made profit coz he just knew I wasn't mishie grade fodder.

"And, boy, how I do bless him for keeping my ass of that damn bicycle!"
_____

"shum" then went on in more detail:

". . . [I]f you insist, I'll spill.

"Having repented my way up the authority chain for certain adolescent excesses in the back seat of a red Corvair, I ultimately landed in SLC for my final interview with a Twelvie [Gordon B. Hinckley].

"Like the Bishop's Inquest times Twelve, you could say.

"As the grilling proceeded, it came to his attention that there had been more recent indiscretions with a few of the Lord's little lambs at BYU. At that I saw his face turn red as he exploded with:

"'Why do these stake presidents keep sending up all these un-worthies?'

"I began sobbing like a kid at that point.

"He made it clear I was in no way worthy to go today but he said it would depend on if I would clean up my life and come back in a year and he would reconsider.

"A whole year? Yeah, right.

"Then, in one parting act of codgerly compassion, he showed me to a side door that allowed an exit without having to face all the young ladies at the front entry in my distraught condition. Heart of gold I tell ya.

"It was freezing cold and blowing sleet as I stepped outside that bleak November day. Oh the pain. The shame.

"But what a blessing it's been to me that I went with the truth instead of lying through all those interviews. I mean God woulda known anyway so what's the point of serving a mission?

"Oh now I remember it's to make Mom happy.

"Cheers. :o)"

(see "shum's" original postings per the above at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1126990,1127106#msg-1127106; and http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1126990,1127166#msg-1127166)

Thanks, "shum."

Another "I-Was-There-With-a-Twelve-Apostle Square" Moment.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 11:55PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shummie ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:26PM

Well I tell you one thing....it's a bitch, me not bothering to re-register.

But methiks it would be worth some effort so that I might at least be able edit my drivel the obligatory 12 or so times.

Would keep things more fair, don't you think? :o)

Later.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:29AM

My TBM parents had a red Corvair.

That thing leaked a quart of oil a day...

Can't imagine doin' it in the backseat of that roller skate.

All the best to you, Shummie...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:56AM

A high school friend of mine had a red Corvair. He slammed it into a light post and the whole damn car exploded, and he was killed. So... What was I saying with this story, then? Uh, I lost my chain of thought...

Posted by: Forestpal not logged in ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 01:18AM

What a horrible person, was GBH!

That is name-calling, to call you an "unworthy."

How selfish and arrogant to care only about wasting his time on you, with no regard to your feelings, and assuming that you (or anyone in their right mind) would wait a year, and repeat such an encounter! So out of touch with you, so out of touch with people. So many of us saw him lie, more than once, on National TV. He was not worthy to judge you that day, and he was not worthy of your respect.

I look back on Mormons who made me cry, and the tears were not necessary. Every time, the bullying Mormon would say, "but I really love you." The bottom line is, that it was never about love, but manipulation. I'm glad you got out early, shummie. I hope you didn't suffer too much.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 02:15AM

that he was a cold, brusque, arrogant ass. That was the beginning of the fading of the shine in my little TBM eyes.

At that time, he was the mouthpiece for the ailing ETB.

Everyone else seemed to think he was just wonderful. Not for the first time, I began to wonder "what is wrong with me? I just don't seem to see things in this church like other people do???"

It wasn't until I found RfM that I learned I wasn't alone, and that made all the difference.

Posted by: Shummie ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 03:13AM

dreams like a ferret or a weasel now that I think back....

Happy dreams tho, no morgie guilt or any othersuch downer.

And when I awake I'm still here.

Still free.

All thanks to speaking the truth and nothing but the truth to a lieingl ittle weasel.

:O)

Posted by: the green album ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:16AM

Shummie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dreams like a ferret or a weasel now that I think back....

:)

Play the album backwards and you can hear "...the ferret is gordo...the ferret is gordo..."

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 07:59PM

What a hilarious, accurate, and appropriate image.

He never gave Hoffman any money for forged documents. Never!

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 05:57AM

steve benson Wrote:

> "'Why do these stake presidents keep sending up
> all these un-worthies?'

"Uhhhhhhhh ---- because they had expected you'd actually do the 'job' you're getting paid to do-?"

Where is the enlightenment?
What a miserable unhappy little fink!

Sounds like GBH would actually be on the reverse-beer-fun-curve:
The more beer you give him, the less fun he is.

You didn't waste two years of your life Shum.
So investing in that red Corvair (highly inspiring, BTW) paid off rather handsomely!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 06:00AM by zenjamin.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 06:19AM

Not that my mission was anything all that great, but I would've disappointed Mom had I not gone, and I did come out of it speaking fluent Spanish -- quite a useful skill for a doctor in California.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 10:35AM

I've had the unfortunate privilege of seeing ol' Gordo up close and personal at a temple dedication. We were told to fall in line to shake his goddam hand. I remember not feeling particularly excited but went with friends anyway. I also remember being gently pushed forward by his "handlers" so that we pressed flesh for approximately 1 second. Just some old white guy that we Asians were thrilled to smile at.

Same with ol' Spencer "better dead than raped" Kimball. He walked into the arena and everyone stood in greeting. Even back then I thought that was strange and weird, he's just a guy. I looked at my father, he had tears in his eyes. I felt a great big nothing. I was sure I was evil after that.

Date: January 03, 2014 10:13PM

Posted by: TOP ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:34PM

Posted by: Petemay ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 04:24PM

Where are the dispositions of statements by those that GBH would say all kinds of immoral things in the Church Office Building (COB)? Isn't there another thread that would highlight workers at the COB that would overhear all of the mad rantings and curses created by these foul mouthed apostles?

I'll have to search later?

Will the formal security detail of GBH let us know how many high priced hoes ol Gordy "entertained" during his tenure? Or maybe it was before he was prophet. Any of these moral bad choices make it to print, transcript, audio recording...or anything?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:13PM

I don't think those guys could get it up for a hoe. Maybe Monson back in his younger days.

I'm willing to bet that if they want a mistress, they convince some ignorant young sister, that she is to be their secret spiritual wife, for the preservation of the keys, you know.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 07:50PM

Inspired prophets? Testifiers of christ?

What were we taught that christ would have have done?

"You told the truth young man. Go and sin no more"

Date: January 06, 2014 08:34PM

AmIDarkNow? Wrote:
> Inspired prophets? Testifiers of christ?
>
> What were we taught that christ would have have
> done?
>
> "You told the truth young man. Go and sin no
> more"

Well put!

I stand all amazed at the people here who actually get it.

Peace be unto all who now prosper with a much richer life and a 10% pay raise to boot for your all your needless but yet still obligatory travail.

shum

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:59AM

Your chain of mortifying indiscretions is safe with us. We will tell NObody. Mum's the word.

Edited for subject-verb agreement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 10:00AM by cludgie.

Posted by: LabansWidow ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:13AM

Come on, I'm sure I remember that story in the New Testament, where a woman caught in adultery is taken to Jesus. Didn't he turn red in the face and explode "Another worthless sinner! Why do you idiots keep wasting my time with these dead-beats! Get lost!"

Something like that anyway.

Posted by: L Tom Perry ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:36AM

Posted by: shum ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:28AM

My own GBH experience. I was a missionary in New Zealand from 73-75. Was assistance to the prez for the last 5 months and we had a visit from GBH. And, as was the custome we (mish prez and me and companion)took him on a mission tour to most of the zones in our mission. It was the slowest 5 days of my life. GBH was devoid of any humor, empathy, and warmth. Drag city! Several years later GBH was in my parents home,(dad was a stake Pres.) and I got to see him again and nothing had changed. His only memory of me in the mission field was vague at best. Again, all business and no warmth. Several years later dad was called to be mission president, and guess who came down to interview him? You got it, GBH! He set dad apart in a no frills hotel room and that was that. Mr. Excitement, GBH!!!!

Posted by: GB's Lover Frank ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 12:52PM

Seems like a real asshole just doing the bidding of the overlord's until he got the hot seat.

Is it possible that Building all of these temples / buildings is somewhat of a smokescreen for laundering money for the lawyers connected to criminals.

The banks in Vegas funded the mob's casions. I read that somewhere here on RFM.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:00PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:53PM

Gee, a red Corvair, this throws a whole new light on the defiling! No middle hump in the back seat.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 11:50PM

... for declaring it to be "unsafe at any speed."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed#.22The_Sporty_Corvair.22

He eventually got over that and bought himself a 1968 Pontiac Firebird--which he let me drive to high school. That was about as high as I ever got in high school but it was, like, totally cooooooooool.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=GHj9WL3uINKojwOWs7SoCw&q=1968+pontiac+firebird&oq=1968+Pontiac+Firebird&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.1.0.0l5.6309.8561.0.9714.6.5.0.1.1.0.139.451.4j1.5.0....0...1c..64.mobile-gws-img..0.6.469.3..41.cAMJCkflgQY#imgdii=Wsr6gzX2vt8qYM:&imgrc=Wsr6gzX2vt8qYM:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 12:01AM by steve benson.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 22, 2017 09:51PM

Interesting story.

I don't buy the whole hookers being in the church office building though. Seems about on par with the whole Mormon apostles are secret satanists post that I saw on the Forum about a year or so ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 09:52PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 11:17AM

So the grand poo bah's advice was clean up your life and come back in a year, eh? "Physician heal thyself"! I watched the television interview, and now every time GBH's name comes up, all I can see are his beady little eyes and hear his lying words.

Posted by: granny ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 10:32PM

NO fun in the backseat for me though.

Posted by: Wilruff ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 11:24PM

I was in a missionary meeting where GBH addressed the missionaries and the US missionaries in particular. The Vietnam war was raging and the missionaries were facing the draft when they returned home and of course were in a state of anxiety.

To justify what a wonderful service it would be to go to Vietnam, GBH stated that this war was the Lord's way to introduce the church into Vietnam from whence it would be the means of spreading throughout SE Asia.

Well we all know what happened in Vietnam. You can find in an old Dialogue around the late 70's or into the 80's the heart wrenching story by the Vietnamese branch president of Saigon after the Americans fled in haste leaving their Vietnamese friends to face the consequences of the Viet Cong. The LDS Vietnamese were particularly vulnerable. The branch president led many LDS out the country to become boat people.

As I read their harrowing escape, the false encouragement and prophecy of GBH to the US missionaries returned vividly to my mind. I have not forgotten,

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:04AM

Unsafe at any speed.......even when standing still.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:06AM

Corvairs dangerous(?) Ask Ralph Nadar!

When I was at Hicks (aka Ricks), our frat (LAMBDA delta Sigma) ... when it was allowed... Our frat pres, Terry Hart!eye, was killed in his VW when someone turned left in front of him,

My dad's boss, Ralph Budd, was CEO of the Great Northern Ry in St. Paul MN... He drove a Corvair painted the GN livery, forest green & Omaha orange.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.