Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wendell ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 04:21PM

http://northstarlds.org/newsroom/leading-same-sex-attraction-ministry-organizations-for-latter-day-saints-to-unite-under-north-star-umbrella/

All I can say is that at least there is one fewer organization in the world that is creating false hope and damaging lives for gay men in the LDS church.

For any of you that have ever been affiliated with either of these organizations, I feel for you.

And yes...I know they are not officially a part of the LDS church, but they sure act like they are and did absolutely nothing to help me overcome my sexuality. In fact, the only thing they did for me was to make me feel even more guilt-ridden and full of self-hate than I already was.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 04:24PM by wendell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 04:25PM

When did Mormons start using "ministry" like your average Protestant?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 01:32PM

When they are trying to hide their ties to one of their offshoots.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 04:26PM

I thought you were talking about the airline....LOL

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 04:26PM

Thanks for the update. Evergreen has done untold damage for so many years. I just want all these programs gone to never hurt another kid out there again.

They say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but sometimes it just kills.

Date: January 02, 2014 04:35PM

I don't like to talk about my time at Evergreen/Northstar, but I do have to ask one question:

How could an organization charged with helping gay men overcome those feelings believe that holding games of tackle rugby for their clients would be beneficial in accomplishing their stated goal? It is very counterproductive if you ask me and I don't see how any thinking person could possibly disagree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 04:36PM by wendell.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 04:42PM

Co-ed contact sports would make more sense. Co-ed showers afterward would make even more sense.

Date: January 02, 2014 04:48PM

I'm certain nothing was going to help, but telling me it's okay to for me to tackle a hot sweaty gay man was certainly not the answer.

Date: January 02, 2014 04:50PM

LMAO It really sounds more like a gay dating sight sometimes, doesn't it?

Date: January 02, 2014 04:52PM

I can't tell you how many men met their significant others at Evergreen/Northstar, but it's not a small number.

Date: January 02, 2014 04:55PM

Ha ha. I guess some people do make lemonade when handed lemons. Just warms my heart to think there was an upside to it all.

Date: January 02, 2014 04:57PM

Although, it mostly just caused more pain, heartache, guilt, and self-loathing for guys who were already dealing with all of those things.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 12:38AM

Seriously, the rugby scrum is one of the gayest things in team sports.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 03:37PM

Jenna Fischer (Pam from "The Office") once said that (American) football is pretty gay, and that it might be easier for men to have sex with another man just once a year and get it out all at once instead of prolonged over 5 months.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 04:55PM

Whatever doesn't kill you sometimes leaves a permanent scar.

Date: January 02, 2014 04:43PM

Wendell, I came awful close to ending up at Evergreen, but lucked out. I really feel for you having to go through that. From what I have read, they pushed doing "manly things" as a way to turn you straight. It is so "dark ages" I can't even believe it.

What I do know from what I have read was that it just twisted the Mormon knife that was already in everybody's' back. Nothing will turn you straight apparently like playing football or shooting a deer. Maybe if they would have at least let the guys have a beer. That's manly. Stephen Lee's book, I forget the title, was a really good look into it.

I hope your story is out there somewhere wendell. They are all important.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 04:44PM by blueorchid.

Date: January 02, 2014 04:59PM

I can't say much right now, but my story is going to be out there pretty soon. And yes...they are all important.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:37PM

Um … yeah. If these two organizations are not an extension of the LDS Church (in reality, if not legally), then why does the North Star press release read, in part:

"Since its founding more than 20 years ago as a support organization for the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Evergreen’s mission has always been similar to North Star’s in its desire to assist those who experience same-sex attraction and who desire to live in harmony with their spiritual and religious values. This move will create the largest single faith-based ministry organization for Latter- day Saints who experience same-sex attraction or gender identity incongruence and will also provide increased access to resources for Church leaders, parents, family and friends."

Date: January 02, 2014 05:46PM

All I know is that they are both destructive and ineffective.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:50PM

In the 1990s, my father was released from the stake high council and given a "special calling" as Evergreen moderator. I don't see how they can claim now that it's not a church organization just because it is set up legally as a separate organization. It operates as a church organization.

Posted by: movie fan ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:56PM

I watched it years ago when I was still a TBM but laughed and cried through it any way. Your description of the activities at Evergreen seem to line up rather well with what I saw in that film.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 01:40AM

Just watched it myself after seeing it mentioned here. I have to say it really struck a chord with me.

Pretty good movie

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 11:38AM

Eddie Cibrian is hawt in that movie.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 12:33AM

I hope this is a sign that the demand for the "services" these organizations provide dropping so much that they had to merge into one to survive. Hopefully it will not be too much longer before the LDS can not even support one.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 12:39AM

It makes my blood boil when I read about these types of organizations. I think gay conversion therapy should be banned in all 50 states.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 02:09AM

Can anyone tell me why no one has gone after the professional licenses of the so-called "clinical" leadership of these groups? Why hasn't the APA or AAMFT or other professional groups shut down these unethical and damaging businesses for good?

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 11:50AM

Can nobody sue these organisations? They must have caused a lot of human misery and suffering amongst the gay community.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 11:53AM

Let's hope the day comes that LDS, Inc. adds this organization to it's list of things they totally disavow having anything to do with. I'm hoping they see the shame in what they did and prove it by stating they never had anything to do with Northstar. Their lies prove what is true. Then there will be another exodus by those who realize they have been lied to continuously by Mormonism.

My shelf cracked when, after being told there could never, never, never, EVER! be polyandry in the Mormon church, I learned that Joseph Smith did it. My brain did a back flip and thus began my journey towards Exodus.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 11:56AM

and I really like what he wrote about it.

From my perspective, I thought (stupid me) that when dealing with the church over gay issues, they'd have some REAL answers. I couldn't believe the answers that they gave me, let alone what I found out Evergreen's answers were. Things like working on cars.

Well, my "ex" can fix ANY car. I can't believe he keeps our old cars running for the kids. My dad taught agricultural mechanics and he was amazed at what my "ex" can do. He put on our metal roof. He just installed a water softener in the house. He hasn't a decorating bone in his body--let alone fashion sense. Of course, he can't play sports for the life of him either, but he CANNOT dance either.

But--what I ran into in terms of "answers" for gays in the lds church is what drove me away. Let alone their families.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 11:57AM by cl2.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 02:26PM

Yes, isn't all that "modern day revelation" working wonders for Mormonism? NOT! Any four year old has more insight into human nature than the leadership running LDS, Inc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.