Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 02:17PM

Yay!!!...

...for the women of Nigeria who are protesting against these practices (most especially, of course, the ones that involve mutilation and murder).

I know that some of these kinds of things go on in other places (forced marriages to deities is one of the enduring tragedies of India, but in Indian terms, it means: "sacred" prostitution--nothing having to do with murder, and is a way to deal with culturally awkward situations...or for very poor parents, a way to get income flowing in to the family).

And something similar to sacred prostitution takes place all over Southeast Asia as well, but (mostly, is my understanding) does not involve murder.

In all cases, though (Nigeria...India...Southeast Asia) the victims are overwhelmingly female (although, from news reports, some infants of both genders are involved in Southeast Asia--for religious/folk practices such as highly-sought, and literally-gold-wrapped, dead infant bodies).

The more global awareness is raised about the many victims of these kinds of activities, the better. Global awareness means constant attention, and that generally leads to legal and societal protections for actual, as well as potential, victims.

Global knowledge is the very best way to stamp out these practices which have been going on, in most cases, for millennia.

Good article, Id Is My Friend. Thank you for posting it because I had no idea this was going on in Nigeria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.