Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lovehealer ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:08PM

Can anyone give me a little guidance? I haven't considered myself Mormon for nearly 7 years, but figured it's time to resign. I emailed my resignation using the information on this website on 11/21/13. I have yet to receive anything back. The week I emailed my resignation, I received two emails from a random YSA ward that I've never been to. I've never even lived in that city. I responded to both telling them to take me off their list. Just the other day, I received an email from yet another random YSA ward from a city I've never lived in. This one was thanking me for signing up for their email list. I didn't sign up for anyone's list. It appears my personal information is just being passed from place to place. Does anyone have any advice? Is this normal and if so, how do I make it end? I'm incredibly irritated that places I've never lived have my personal information!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:21PM

Bear your testimony in fast and testimony meeting that you know Joseph Smith was a true prophet because only a true prophet could have told teenage girls their family's salvation depended on it, that Brigham young was a true prophet because only a true prophet could have known with such certainty that backs were cursed for being lazy before they were born, that all the prophets were true prophets for whatever bullshit they passed off as god's word, that only today's revered prophet, seer, and revelator could have known to spend half a billion dollars on a florida land grab just days before the strongest storm in history ravaged the phillipines where missionaries were left to fend for themselves...

That ought to get you before the high council pretty quick.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:29PM

(801) 240-2053

I would call Member Records (I think this is still the number), and I would be very angry with them on the phone (not belligerent, just angry) and tell them unless your resignation is promptly processed you intend to seek legal counsel.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:34PM

Amazing how well this works! Oh and mention you're going to the media as well. That's always good for a chuckle! No?

Date: December 16, 2013 08:41PM

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about either of these ideas. Do I mention my information being 'sold' to wards I've never been to? It feels like they're on a fishing expedition in an attempt to 'save' me.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:59PM

It may be that your "bishop of last record" is just trying to pass the buck here to another bishop to deal with.

Posted by: Me too ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 09:09PM

Happened to me, too. But I started getting Relief Society invites in my ex-wife's name. Now that's low. I think you pop up as a new move in that ward when you essentially alert the record department to SLC of your new address.

Date: December 16, 2013 09:18PM

Possibly? My confusion is that I've been contacted by two wards in two cities I've never lived in, both in a state I don't live in. I admit, I've been giddily awaiting the letter I'm told will eventually show up. The delay in this celebration is quite irritating.

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 09:19PM

Relax, friend. Give it time for the dust to settle, KNOWING that you are legally O-U-T regardless of their foot dragging, bitching and moaning. The rule at law here is: "Notice to agent is notice to principal".
If you can show that you notified any LDS leader of your resignation, you're officially out.

Date: December 16, 2013 09:29PM

Yes, I do have the email I sent directly to membership.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.