Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: georgedubya ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 07:36PM

I am an 18 year old guy who's supposed to go on a mission, but I will be coming out to my family shortly after Christmas. Inevitably, the entire ward will know of my nonbelief soon. I'm wondering if whether or not the bishop or SP or some higher-up geezer is going to excommunicate me for being atheist for so long and fulfilling certain priesthood duties during that time. And if I'm excommunicated, will I still have to formally resign in order to remove my name from their records?

For those who didn't read a thread I posted last night (too lazy to provide link since I'm on mobile), I plan on moving into my friend's home and living with their family for some time. They fully support me in my quest to begin my life outside the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: missblue ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 07:51PM

As far as I know, they can't excommunicate you for being an atheist. I think excommunication is reserved for more of the bigger issues like actively working against the church/adultery.

And, even if they did (which they won't) it's an imaginary threat that means nothing. They hold no power over you and never did.

Posted by: georgesaint ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 07:53PM

Non-belief is not an offense that will lead to any sort of punishment. You wouldn't be exed or disfellowsiped for simply not believing. If you actively tried to get others to not believe, however, that could lead to excommunication.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:21PM

You will be seen as one of a million wayward youth, and they desperately want people in your age group to stay (so you can make Mormon babies and pay lots of tithing).

If you go on a campaign to talk down the church through public speech, contacting others and sharing your newfound knowledge that it's a scam, or by slamming the church on Facebook, then yeah, they might excommunicate you. But short of doing those things, it's not going to happen.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:24PM

They won't ex you. What would be the point?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you mentioned death threats in another post of yours. Seriously, people just aren't going to care that much. Young adults leave the church all the time, and in accelerating numbers. Not to diminish the challenges you as an individual face, but focus on the probable and discard the implausible, and you'll find you're much better prepared.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 09:14PM

It will all depend on your attitude when you talk to them. If you act arrogant they will excommunicate you --If you act indifferent and not in a state of repentance --Again you could be excommunicated ..The only way not to be excommunicated is to act humble and submissive --take your chances !!!

JB

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 09:23PM

I don't think this will happen to you. That wouldn't be a usual or normal expectation

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 10:04PM

If you get excommunicated, you won't need or be able to resign to have your name removed. It's kind of like a job where they can't fire you if you've quit and you can't quit after they've fired you.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 10:13PM

Another suggestion, when you come out to your family, have your resignation letter already to be mailed, then mail it, then tell your Bishop/SP of your position and hand them a copy of your letter that you just sent to SLC.

Be in total control, don't them control you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 10:14PM by backphil.

Posted by: transylvania ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 10:59PM

They could try and guilt, shame, coerce, or manipulate the situation to their advantage. They don't want to lose members and they definetly don't want to lose your money.

Be prepared mentally and emotionally. Highly recommend having the letters ready too.

Posted by: olematty ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 10:17PM

The Temple......That being said ,there are cases where non temple endowed members are ex'd and there is no consistency regarding this...

As an 18 year old Athiest, you probably won't be ex'd. unless you become an avid speaker and demonstrator against the church and become a true threat to the membership of others....

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 11:14PM

There's a trend lately to give callings to people who actively admit they don't believe.
Your bishop could be an asshole, but chances are they will just be concerned and step up the love bombing rather than ex you.
I would expect some shaming and scolding at first, but the reaction they want is for you to feel hurt and outcast and then desire the approval of these people again. That's the whole point of their shaming and shunning tactics. Make you suck up to them to get back in their good opinion.
It's so stupid because so often it backfires. Who wants to grovel for people who deliberately hurt your feelings?

Posted by: dont worry be happy! ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 07:45AM

I am pretty sure that there are quite a few higher ups that are mission presidents, stake presidents, area authorities, etc that have made it known to their superiors that they are atheists.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.