Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 07:27PM

This story is a little over three weeks old, but I'm not finding any evidence that it was posted here. I found it looking for something else. Is it just me, or is this really strange and awkward?

Warning: Contains a creepy church-spokesman type guy starting at the 2:00 mark.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/gilbert/Mormon-temple-in-Gilbert-Inside-look-at-temples-most-sacred-rooms

I can't help wondering how a story like this comes to be. Does somebody at the TV station know somebody, or does the Mormon church go looking for a local family with a tragedy that can be exploited?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 07:34PM by munchybotaz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: emily ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 07:31PM

What's the mormon population like in Gilbert? I know there are areas of Arizona that are heavily populated with members, so it may just be that this type of story makes the cut because so many of their readers are mormon.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 07:42PM

The story would be just as weird, imo, in Salt Lake or somewhere else with even more Mormons than that.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:29PM

It seems like mormonland. In reality, I think they are around 20-25%, but you definately feel surrounded. Not always a bad thing, but you do find yourself wondering how many of the people around you are from the local ward. Anytime a kid that isn't mormon finds another nonmo friend, it is like an instant bond.

I think they ran out of land in Mesa and all the established mormon families' kids all bought houses in Gilbert or Glendale.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 07:44PM

I like the juxtaposition of attendance between the temple and meetinghouses. Temple - as often as members wish. Meetinghouse - weekly. No choice implied, attendance is a must.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 10:37PM

Creepy. Made me think of Scientology when they showed the interior.

However when the news anchor said "...members only" I immediately thought of the last scene of 'The Sopranos'....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.