Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soju ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 11:07AM

I stumbled into an audio recording of the endowment ceremony. It is stirring up a lot of old feelings, feelings I couldn't quite identify or completely articulate when I was a member.

It is creepiness. Creepy creepy creepy.

"If any of you would like to withdraw..."

... this makes me think, "Why didn't I take the *blue* pill?"

I have no idea how I ignored how obviously cult-like this whole thing is. How the hell was I able to go on a mission and try to shove this down people's throats?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 11:12AM

It's weird, isn't it? What your eyes see when they're open?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 01:37PM by Heidi GWOTR.

Date: December 16, 2013 11:41AM

Woah, shit just got real! "I will never reveal the [token / sign / penalty]... Rather than do so, I would suffer my life to be taken." *pantomime slitting one's own throat.* THAT wasn't there when I went through in 2005. It sure was implied, though.

Cult cult cult cult cult cult CULT.

Date: December 16, 2013 12:18PM

Wait, what? They had to pantomime the penalties (slitting one's own throat, chest, and bowels) when they did the creepy prayer circle thing? BUT they can't have any bad feelings, no sirrie.

So, the "true order of prayer" involves standing in a circle, making a bunch of special movements with your hands, pretending to kill yourselves three times, and then chanting magic words before repeating the words of a single prayer giver.

How did people go on and raise generations of new mormons after going through this? Ugh. How did my *parents* go on to raise my family mormon after this? It is no wonder that temple attendance of my parents was effectively 0 when I was a kid. I don't remember them *ever* going to the temple until my mission.

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 12:20PM

They were still happily teaching the "slitting throat" method when I went through on or around 1984.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 12:27PM

soju Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... this makes me think, "Why didn't I take the
> *blue* pill?"

Let's see. I was a month from leaving for a mission. I was penniless and living with my parents.

Posted by: anon 5 tis ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 10:39PM

I lately watched the video on YouTube of it and it was the creepiest piece of $#/7 I ever saw now that my eyes are open to see. I totally could say what happen next and it scared me to the bones. I had to pause several times to ponder about what the hell did I a felt thousand times what did I believe? I got my own endowment in 2002 a month before I was off for mission. and had gone through over and over again like many of us.
When I watched this hidden camera video I used to cry that my family still is crazy running after doing this - they are not dumb but so blinded.

really bad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.