Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 05:10PM

Looks like these people were blamed as non-Mormons in Missouri and now Mormons in Utah.
https://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng
"Southerners who had converted to the Church and migrated to Utah with their slaves raised the question of slavery’s legal status in the territory. In two speeches delivered before the Utah territorial legislature in January and February 1852, Brigham Young announced a policy restricting men of black African descent from priesthood ordination."

God hates the South?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 14, 2013 01:20PM

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

Seriously I thought Mormonism had few converts from the South. Parley Pratt got himself killed attempting to poach women from The South!

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 01:23PM

I thought Parley was killed by the estranged husband of a wife he picked up in CA. Based on what I've read, the husband wanted his kids back and chased Parley down and shot him in the back.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 01:44PM

St. George got it's name "Dixie" due to Brigham calling 309 Southern families to establish the "Cotton Mission" in St. George the same year the Civil War started.

They arrived in two separate "waves" or groups.

"Both groups were from the Southern States, and had experience growing cotton. They came mainly from the states of Mississippi, Alabama, Virginia, Texas, and Tennessee. Robert Covington had worked as an overseer on a cotton plantation where he directed slaves in the growing of cotton. These settlers brought tobacco with them, as well as the habit of using it."

Here is the sermon found in the Journal of Discourses given by Brigham Young concerning his scheme to make money though cotton production, i.e. selling it throughout the United States at a time when production of cotton was limited because of the war.

Mention is made concerning Southern Utah on p. 228 at the bottom right of the page.

http://jod.mrm.org/10/221

Reference: http://historypreserved.com/Washington%20City%20Historical%20Society.htm

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 02:42PM by Senoritalamanita.

Date: December 14, 2013 04:16PM

Thanks Senorita. So basically LDS Inc. is blaming Southerns for their racism even though there weren't many actually in Utah before 1852?

So LDS Inc. has a very very long history of blaming others for its terrible policies, revelations, etc.

But "God is leading the church." Of course. You just need a testimony. What a wonderful thing a testimony is - just a license to believe whatever is convenient to keep being a Mormon.

Date: December 14, 2013 04:23PM

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1977/06/mississippi-mormons

Apparently they went westward a year before Brigham was to follow.

Circa 1846 or 1847.

The civil war began on April 12, 1861 -- a full 15 years after the westward move.

Apparently Southerners made up only 3 percent of Mormons at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 04:27PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 04:30PM

Wait! Briggy didn't blaze the trail?

he had his peeps go before him, have things ready for HRH???

Date: December 14, 2013 04:39PM

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/blackmormon/000H13.html

Scroll down to John Brown. He was African American. I stand astonished!

Apparently he "accompanied Brigham Young on his entrance to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. He was among the first Mormons to enter what is now the state of Utah. In 1848 he travelled back to his home state of Mississippi in order to lead the Mississippi Mormons (both black and white) to the Salt Lake Valley. In the spring of 1848 57 white and 37 black Mormons left Mississippi in 11 wagons.

John Brown later said:

"Every man, woman and child, both white and black, gazed at us with astonishment as we passed their habitations." [i.e. both black and whites in Mississippi couldn't believe that a black man was leading 11 wagons of almost 100 souls~both black and whites together]

(from Black Latter-day Saints Pioneers online)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 04:41PM by Senoritalamanita.

Date: December 16, 2013 12:55PM

Senoritalamanita Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently Southerners made up only 3 percent of
> Mormons at the time.

So 3 percent and not even many of them made up a big part of the governing part of Mormonism, but 3 percent of Mormons are to blame for the racism of thousands of people for decade after decade?

Really?

Date: December 14, 2013 04:54PM

List of LDS wagon trains/companies that travelled west:

http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels/companydatelist

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 12:59PM

This also explains the Mountains Meadow Massacre...dirty intolerant southerners!

Date: December 16, 2013 01:20PM

That does bring up and interesting point. A bunch of Southerers were massacred by Mormons yet the racist policy was a result of them as Mormons.

It stinks. To think LDS Inc. would blame them after killing a bunch of them.

Christ's church alright.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 01:33PM

It get's worse for the church. Most southerners were not slave owners. Think about it, it's basic math. There were more white people, than black people. Factor in the massive plantations that employed hundreds, if not thousands of black slaves to a single owner (even though most slave owners only had one or two slaves), and you soon realize that slave owning was simply something most southerners did not do.

I come from East Tennessee. East Tennessee actually had far more of its sons fight for the Union army, then the confederate. There were actually entire regiments of white southern men, from nearly every confederate state in the union fighting for the North (though in most places, most people fought for their state over their country) The sentiment in many places though, was that the poorer folks did not want to fight and die, or tear their country apart, for the sake of a few spoiled slaveholders.

Of the few converts who came out of the south, just exactly how many of them would have came from the richer part of society, that owned slaves? I will grant there were probably some, but I am sure you could probably count them on your fingers.

Date: December 16, 2013 01:43PM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
> Of the few converts who came out of the south,
> just exactly how many of them would have came from
> the richer part of society, that owned slaves? I
> will grant there were probably some, but I am sure
> you could probably count them on your fingers.

And did they have callings even remotely close to those long dead racist "prophet, seers, and revelators"???

I bet not.

The Southern Whipping Boy is a smoking gun that LDS Inc. is a pathetic 19th Century cult and LDS Inc. is issuing information like FAIRLDS.org instead of LDS.org.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 01:45PM

I just looked it up. About seventy five percent of white southern households in not own slaves. So the church is telling me that the same organization that routinely ignores the needs of women and single members, would cave in to a handful of white southerners?

Date: December 16, 2013 01:56PM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
> So the church is telling me that the same
> organization that routinely ignores the needs of
> women and single members, would cave in to a
> handful of white southerners?

Maybe there was a branch of the KKK in Utah and these white men pressured Brigham with threats of violence?

Seriously, Brigham was undisputed King there and could have accepted Black men to the priesthood and no one would have batted an eye.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 01:42PM

the most obvious way to placate them is to say their slaves can't have the priesthood. That way, at least they know their slaves won't have any extra magic powers.

Date: December 17, 2013 11:34AM

How about not letting anyone be a slave? Mormonism were supposedly abolitionist in Missouri.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.