Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 06:21PM

Discussing theories of BOM lands.

BIL: I read this great book by an Australian regarding the DNA issue

Me: Was it Southerton?

BIL: No, what did he write? Is he LDS?

Me: No, he actually left the church due to the DNA issue.

BIL: (laughs) ... oh that's embarrassing! Did you hear? There's new info that just came out that indicates there is a small sample of pre-Columbian European DNA in North America somewhere ... .

Me: I don't know about that ... I'll have to look that up.

(anyone here have any clue what he's talking about?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 06:51PM

Prolly referring to claims by a wanna be, fake "Cherokee" dude who hopes to cash in on being Native American. This dude claims he has pre-Columbian, European dna evidence, but he's bogus.

Of course, to Mos this stuff is golden. They love FPR's, faith promoting rumors.

"Didja hear? Robert Redford and Shirley Temple are members!" "Hey, that's so cool!"

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 07:44PM

Several years ago Simon Southerton and I "collaborated" on an exposé of ol' Joel...

I think he even punked a couple of LDS geneticists for a time with his claims, but I don't think anyone is talking... And if I remember right, Simon tried to correspond with him afterwards, but gave up in frustration...

Simon's comment was "I look more like an Indian than this guy does."

Google him up; my Cherokee sources tell me he's a total fraud...

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 07:11PM

May be referring to Rod Meldrum's claims of Israelite DNA being found in America.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 09:30PM

Oh God ... that was classic .... thanks for the info guys:

Me: Hey, was the guy you were talking about Rod Meldrum?

BIL: yes!

Me: I just found an article where BYU's Maxwell Institute comes down hard on him

BIL: (look on his face I would pay 50 bucks to replicate) Yeah, from what I understand, they didn't like his findings, but...

ha ha ha ha ha

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 07:49PM

Major Bidamon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Me: I don't know about that ... I'll have to look
> that up.

Should have asked him to provide you with the reference. From my experience the person has either over or misstated the evidence. Often they are just parroting what they have heard others say.
CFR is a quick way to see how legit it is. I mean Glen Beck thinks the Bat Creek Stone is all that when it has pretty much been shown to be hoax.

"Show me the evidence."

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 09:29PM

Here is a little bit of info. Hope this helps.

About a DVD that some LDS might be referring to:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/12/29/dvd-stirs-up-archaeological-spat.html

About the Joe Sitting Owl Cabbie mentioned:

http://www.cherokeephoenix.org/25170/Article.aspx

About the Cherokee and their frustration with some of this:

http://tribalrecognition.cherokee.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=y-JcRrV4oDc%3D&tabid=106&mid=2118

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 09:30PM by Hoggle.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:07PM

Went to St. George this weekend, and here's the layman's explanation:

Yes, haplogroup x1 was found in three native American groups, one was the Iroquois (Meldrum's pets). It is very easy for science to tell when a haplogroup entered.

It was 25-30 thousand years ago when ancient man crossed the Bering Strait. That's a bit earlier than Book of Mormon times...and there's no getting around it. It's a "fact."

Cheers,

Anagrammy

Posted by: ink ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:48PM

How long before the "native Americans are Lamanites" doctrine becomes a taboo not-so-faith-promoting myth that is only spread by nasty anti-mormons and intellectuals? Does the current edition even have the preamble that lays out this claim anymore? I know that on my mission we _banked_ on this facet with investigators. One common door approach was that we had a message about Christ visiting their ancestors.

In Missouri, no less. LOL You just can't make this stuff up! It's a wonder it took me so long to leave.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 01:18AM

Make him prove its legit and/or show him the fraud. Don't let this teaching moment pass.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 01:57AM

I think your BIL is confusing Rodney Meldrum's claims (which may now be in a book) with mine.

Meldrum thinks the X lineage found in North American Indians came from Europe. He is quite honest about the fact that he cherry picks the DNA evidence. The X lineage came from Asia over 15,000 years ago. Most ordinary members wouldn't be able to appreciate the gaping holes in Meldrum's arguments. Yes, the X lineage in American Indians and Europeans are related but they separated from each other over 30,000 years ago.

There is no evidence of any pre-Columbian European DNA in American Indians from North, Central and South America. But this isn't going to stand in Meldrum's way.

As long as it is what people want to hear, Meldrum will keep saying there are pre-Columbian ties.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.