Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flackerman ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:08PM

Has anyone ever run into this guy on youtube? I had the unfortunate accident of watching one of his videos a while back. He claimed to be able to prove the truth of the BofM through the scientific method. I wanted to see how this was even possible, and found that his scientific method of finding the truth of the BofM was...

... wait for it...

Moroni's promise. What the hell?

I found that in an earlier video that this guy had positively testified that no one who ever sincerely prayed about the BofM and gotten no answer. Of course his reasoning when this does happen is that the person was not faithful enough, or righteous enough, or whatever. It is always your fault.

It made me so mad that I found myself making a video response to this ignoramus. Even though I was pissed, I tried not to be to strident towards him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZU2PMZ9Nak

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:12PM

I believed it also, at one time. I think a lot of my acceptance was about--going along. I figured that they must know what they were claiming and talking about. Didn't occur to me until much later that the claims wouldn't hold up to common-sense-scrutiny!
But, that's the beauty of religion.

Posted by: AmIWhiteYet? ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:13PM

Some of his other videos have suggested that:

1. An increase in wildfires in California (later proven completely false by AntiCitizenX who has some awesome videos on the nature of belief and slams Oakes over his exploitation of numerous cognitive biases) is proof that God is mad over California allowing gay marriage prior to Prop 8
2. Jesus' refusal to talk to the Samaritan woman justifies past Mormon racism.
3. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
4. Joseph Smith never married women who already had husbands.

The moment you challenge him on any of his absurd claims, he simply blocks you from posting again. All comments on his videos are subject to his approval. Nice!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:23PM

Jesus refused to talk to what Samaritan woman?
The Samaritan woman at the well is an outstanding conversation with Jesus. And He approached her first.

Get that answer man a bible!

Posted by: AmIWhiteYet? ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 02:34PM

Either way, his argument was absurd.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 12:56AM

Knowing that the Israelites and the Canaaanites are genetically identical, is there a racial bias that the LDS can use? She would not be Blacker than her Jewish counterparts. In fact, the other version of this story says she is Greek.

When she approaches Jesus, he is outside of town and seeking rest for himself and the disciples. In order to go to her house they would have to travel into town and be hassled by the crowds tha tthey want to avoid.

Does Jesus really reject her, or does he only put her on hold?
True, he does tell her that salvation is of the Jews, but the tradition was that as the chosen people, the Jews would have and then take salvation to the rest of the world. So did he really say that he could not help her until he had ministered to the jews?

And last of all, she replies with a greater faith than the Pharisees who constantly challenge and reject him. This grants her the blessing that she seeks, and as such points out a very good lesson- that even though the Jews are supposed to take the salvation into the world, the Gentiles have more faith than they seem to have.

Dogs eat the crumbs that fall from the childrens table, meaning that they get a little here and a little there as they are given, before the main meal. So there is no reason for the Gentiles to not be blessed here and there as they come forth, it just isn't time yet for an en-masse opening of the missionary effort. The disciples will receive that call later on in Acts.

I don't think Jesus is actually rejecting her at all. Instead he is seeking her faith and in so doing, he allows her to be blessed and provides promise to all, that even those who are on the outside may come forward in faith and recieve.

Love the mormon answerman- he's almost as silly as Kerry Shirts.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:23PM

I think there must be a special Danite squad to deal with TBMs who are embarrassing the crap out of the church.

Date: October 08, 2010 03:50PM

Bob T Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think there must be a special Danite squad to
> deal with TBMs who are embarrassing the crap out
> of the church.

We know that there are. If they can edit and censor BKP talk after he already gave it, they have to be a very powerful group behind the scenes. I wonder who they are?

Posted by: Lily not logged in ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:33PM

He's an idiot. A raving, blind idiot. I exchanged emails with him for a while before I realized he was an absurd lost cause. Plus, I think he does way more harm than good to his own cause.

Posted by: ss ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:39PM

Your video response is excellent. It clearly points out the fallacies and stupidity of Mormon Answer Man's thinking. He is a nut case.

Posted by: Tango ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 02:26PM

I also had the unfortunate exchange of emails to his videos. At first I thought he was just mis-lead, but as I engaged with him, I discovered he is dilusional...in fact if you look at one of his videos he blamed the LA fires on Prop8 and even gave statictics for past fires that proved God was showing his anger...problem was that his video that showed this data...was doctored..yes he showed FALSE data...the nerve...he is a blatant deliusional liar.

Date: October 08, 2010 03:47PM

Tango Wrote:
> I also had the unfortunate exchange of emails to
> his videos. At first I thought he was just
> mis-lead, but as I engaged with him, I discovered
> he is dilusional...in fact if you look at one of
> his videos he blamed the LA fires on Prop8 and
> even gave statictics for past fires that proved
> God was showing his anger...problem was that his
> video that showed this data...was doctored..yes he
> showed FALSE data...the nerve...he is a blatant
> deliusional liar.

I saw another video that exposed the dishonesty of that one. I found that it was an amazing act of arrogance that he presumed to speak for God, like he was an old testament prophet or something, declaring that the natural disaster was divine punishment. IMO it made him an apostate Mormon, after all only Monson is suppose to be able to do that.

Posted by: Apothecary ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 03:06PM

Great Job on your video. I think you covered all the bases and your pictures were funny too. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: strider ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 04:55PM

Dealingwithit Well done sir! An impressive intelligent, make me laugh video....more please...

Date: October 08, 2010 09:07PM

strider Wrote:
> Dealingwithit Well done sir! An impressive
> intelligent, make me laugh video....more please...

I have done several others that you might like, including a disection of Hollands October 2008 BofM talk. Check out my youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/FlackerMan

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 01:21AM

But, they take a long time and I never got very far. Good job!

Posted by: Chic in the heart of Moville ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 01:26AM

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 03:12AM

Great job with the video, DWI. No, it wasn't strident at all. It was a calm and methodical deconstruction of the nutjob's glazed over, zombie-like spiel. He'd drank too long and too deep of the cool-aid.

Too bad no TBMs will listen to your response. As far as they're concerned, you're just an angry, hateful ex-mo denying the spirit of the scientific method!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 04:09AM

I used Moroni's Promise. And was told, clearly, that Mormonism is not true.

MAM is nowt but a liar.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 09:06AM

a talk was given in sacrament meeting about 'testimonies'. I didn't know what one was back then and I seem to hear the speaker say that members and anyone preparing for a mission should make sure that they have strong testimoines beacuse when he was on his mission he recalls a householder having researched deeply proved the Book of Mormon False and laid out the evidence in front of him and said that his testimony got him through that!!??!?

I kept thinking I had not heard him correctly until many more months of attendance and F&T meetings and I started to understand what a testimony is.

It doesn't matter that Smith lied.
It doesn't matter that there is no real history to the BofM.
It doesn't matter that young girls had to marry old men.
It doesn't matter that members were abused and threatened and lied to by church leaders.
It doesn't matter that Smith asked for your wife and married them in many cases.

Nothing matters at all if you have a testimony!

So Who the heck wants a testimony? Not me, thats for sure.

Posted by: justbnme ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 11:08AM

Great video response. Loved the double facepalm....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.