Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouettes ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 05:06AM

So here is the short story and my question.

I was introduced to Mormonism a few months ago by a girl I met in college. At first I just wanted to learn more about her faith and how it differed from my own personal beliefs after a attending her church for a month or so and inevestigating rigorously on my own she suggested I took the lessons from the wards missionaries hesitant at first I declined and continued studying it on my own. By this time I was pretty engulfed in the bom and and the scriptures surrounding it to the point I had logical questions that my friend could not answer. So unfortunately I decided to take the missionary lessons and even had set up a date for baptism. The week before my baptism I got cold feet after the missionaries failed to answer some of the questions and bad feelings I had but after discussions with my friend I figured it was just me being nervous for what I thought at the time was a big change in my life.

This is were it all came down I started questioning if I was even doing it for what I believed in or if I was doing it because I was being pressured. On the day of my baptism I talked again with the missionaries and my friend and decided it didn't feel right but some how I let them talk me into going through with it.

Now here is my question after I was baptised and confirmed on the same day I decided it definitely was not the right choice and I told my friend I wouldn't be going back as well as the missionaries which by the way answered with "God will be very disappointed in you" that comment really struck deep with me in a bad way and confirmed my un easy feelings. Now since I quit going litterally after I was baptised and confirmed on the same day does that make me a member? Or since I didn't ever go back and have not received a membershp ID does it mean I was not completely through the process thanks I just want to know so I know if I need to resign or not? Thanks for any help.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 06:37AM by silhouettes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fenodyree ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 05:29AM

Of course you're a member - your name is in their records. Even if you resign and ask to have your name removed it won't be; your records just changes from being a member of ***** ward/branch to being a member of the excommunicated/apostate unit.

But don't worry,while Mormon god is very good at finding keys, he's just not very good at smiting us evil apostates - certainly, my life is better since I quit the morg.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 05:34AM

They have a 100% right to stop being a member at any time.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 08:20AM

Date: December 06, 2013 09:49AM

If you don't go there anymore and don't care what the morg does, it doesn't matter. You've quit. They don't have power over you.

It's like having been in a book discussion group or garden club. Someone can leave by writing a formal letter to the president of the organization or they can walk away and just verbally tell any interested person they've quit.

The law doesn't force anyone to wear official underwear or pay tithes to a church they used to attend or support.

Date: December 06, 2013 05:32AM

You don't have to agree. In America we have a right to leave a church after one day.

The problem will be that the Mormons might harass you by phoning and knocking on your door to talk you into full activity in their church. It's probably a good idea to officially resign immediately.

Tell them you are resigning and that you're not interested in discussing why. You simply want to be left alone.

Date: December 06, 2013 05:39AM

Well I just am glad this site exists even before I went through with it I got most of my questions regarding Mormonism from here and at the time my friend would tell me that only the truth is from the official website which I never believed and it got to the point she couldn't even answer my questions. At one point I asked them about the mountain meadows massacre and they never even knew about it and they said my bad feelings were not from "heavenly father" and that I should ignore the feelings.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: December 08, 2013 09:36AM

Don't worry.

I will be joining you in Outer Darkness.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 05:36AM

Yup, you're officially a member, and they'll count you (probably several times) in their official statistics as being a new member/convert for this year. You can officially resign by sending a letter to their membeship offices in SLC, or by initiating such a request through the local ward bishop.

This is an example of how one should probably follow their 'uneasy' feelings before embarking on a major life-changing event. Keep this in mind when/if you consider marriage in the future...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 05:39AM

Yes, you are a member of the LDS church. The church considers you to be an inactive member. In all likelihood, the church will keep contacting you on a regular or semi-regular basis, including visits to your home and phone calls. You will be the subject of church meetings in which active members discuss how to bring you back.

It is in your best interest to get your name off of the books now. Complete directions for how to resign are here:

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

You may resign by email if you wish.

The Mormons did not give you the full story when they recruited you. Have a look at these websites to see what the missionaries and your friend left out:

http://mormonthink.com/
http://packham.n4m.org/tract.htm

Did you ever ask yourself why there was so much pressure to convert to Mormonism? Why didn't it ever occur to your friend to convert to your church?

Please keep reading this board. Inform yourself about the true nature of the Mormon church.

Date: December 06, 2013 05:45AM

I actually read really deep into it on my own. The week before my baptism the missionary pulled me aside and asked hey is this time OK for your baptism and I told him it was. What got me upset was they then announced it to the congregation without telling me and I was left feeling pressured into it. They haven't contacted me yet nor have they randomly showed up but I'm sure it just has not been long enough.

Thanks for the links / help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 05:48AM by silhouettes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 05:50AM

For most other mainstream Christian churches, you can attend for as long as you want to with no pressure to convert. In Roman Catholocism, the conversion process might take up to a year, and that's after *you* tell them that you wish to convert. Missionary work in Mormonism is like high pressure sales. They want the numbers and they want them quickly.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 03:44PM

As stated in the above post written by Summer, you can send in a resignation letter to LDS headquarters.

Don't worry about your member i.d. number. You can still resign without it.

When you write your resignation letter, be sure and put your full name, date of birth, date of baptism if you have it, and the name and address of your present ward membership ... along with the usual jargon about resigning immediately, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 03:46PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 06:26AM

Some points in response to your OP.

1. Yes you are a member
2. The Missionaries are no longer interested in you.
3. Your friend will gradually stop being your friend.
4. As far as Mormon doctrine is concerned, you now stand under much more onerous judgement from God as a result of you receiving them rejecting Mormonism, than you would have been had you not investigated Mormonism at all in the first place.

You have some options.
A. As people have pointed out you can go through the resignation/name removal process.
B. You can do nothing, if you don't believe then the supposed consequences are irrelevant, right?
C. You can go see the wards Bishop and explain that you believe you have been baptised under false pretences and you want all records showing that you joined destroyed, as well as name removal. This may be harder than it sounds. Mormonism doesn't come with a 14 day, unconditional, money back guarantee. It may also lead to the Bishop attempting to 'save' you with further meetings etc etc.

One things for sure, you ain't getting laid.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 07:59AM

You do have a membership #
The ward clerk enters you into a computer database soon after your baptism (called MIS for member information system, it's a church-wide database centralized in Salt Lake City). Even if you weren't confirmed they'd do that. A lot of lifelong non-Mormons find out they are on record because they were blessed as a baby.

According to legal precedent, you can resign, but they church is not obligated to "destroy" your record, only annotate on it that you voluntarily resigned and can't be excommunicated. When we resign our church record is sequestered by the church but can be retrieved. People do sometimes resign and then rejoin he church and the church looks up their old record...ostensibly to protect itself, as the resignation action includes notes from the bishop of any suspicion of "serious transgression".

But if you don't resign...you are very much now in their system.

Posted by: chris ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 09:20AM

Just want to add that you should definitely resign. If not, you will be on a "new members" list that receives special attention in every ward council, etc., meeting for the next 3 years or so.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 09:25AM

Of course you are a member. And what you have done is more important to the Mormon church than actually sticking around, believing, attending, and participating. What you have done is helped raise the Mormon population. You became a number, and in the Mormon church, numbers trump everything, including Jesus.

The only way you can undo this is to resign, to terminate your LDS membership. Fortunately, it's easy. Unfortunately, Mormons will still claim you as one of their own.

Date: December 06, 2013 01:36PM

By the way, you'll have less recovery time and right to feel darned proud for leaving so quickly. Well done.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 03:47PM

Yes. Bravo! You saved yourself from a lot of heartache, not to mention income loss through the paying of tithing.

Date: December 08, 2013 03:30AM

I have a question regarding email resignation. Do I need to know my membership ID? As stated above I do not have one since I never went back and at this point I don't ever want to step foot in the door. I did see the suggested resignation letter on links provided above and I saw that it showed ID number thanks for all the kind help I want this short but devastating chapter to end as quickly as possible!

*** I Just Saw The Above Post About Not Needing MEMBER ID**
Thanks! I have since sent the email!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 03:38AM by silhouettes.

Date: December 08, 2013 03:49AM

The church has computers. If they need a number, they can punch a few keys and find it. People were resigning long before someone decided to give everyone a number.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 08, 2013 03:46AM

Its a shameful thing those missionaries did. Pressured and manipulated you just to pad their own numbers so that they could look better to other missionaries.

This story reminds me of a time that my zone leaders baptised some 80 year old woman who then went inactive a week later. Apparently the ward went to go visit her and she literally yelled at them "I am not Mormon, I am Baptist!"

Anyway, no one seemed to care, because she was counted as a convert and missionary work is nothing but a big game of numbers.

Posted by: forestpal not logged in ( )
Date: December 08, 2013 04:15AM

Most religions let members walk out the door, and live their own lives. It's common for my Christian and other friends to change religions frequently. No one is offended. Family members don't throw a fit. People will change churches because of location or time schedule. They will go to a different church, because their friends go there. They will prefer one pastor's speaking style over another. No one seems to mind. You pay as you go

Mormonism, on the other hand, is a CULT. Members can't change locations, so that whole families can attend the same church--not allowed. The cult takes on too much power and control. When I left the cult, they threatened me with illness, financial ruin, and the failure of my children. I did a lot of crying, but I still knew the Mormon church was a hoax. Only GOOD things have been happening in the 8 years we have been free.

God does not want you to be an unhappy slave to a cult. He wants you to be with your children, and to be happy. Mormons have no special powers! Just walk away, and say, "No" about a hundred times, for the rest of your life, and the cult can't get you.

Several of my friends went right over to the Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, and a non-denominational Christian church, and got re-baptized. They felt cheated that Christ was not the center of their baptism. This is fine, and is allowed by most churches. When I was re-baptized, I felt the not only my sins, but all of the Mormon garbage, curses, and the lying I didn't know I was doing--all was washed away--and I was born again unto Christ. What a joyous occasion!

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 08, 2013 05:22AM

Some of you are missing the point........
if you are on the membership list, in their eyes you are a member and some of us just don't want to be on Satan's minions list.

Date: December 08, 2013 06:09AM

They keep counting you forever.

The reasons for resigning are:

1. To make locals back off from harassment.

2. Provide a sense of closure for the exmo.

The morg moves names around and flags them but they remain on the list.

Date: December 08, 2013 06:35AM

I find it Ironic that the very Free Agency they teach about is the same one they don't practice when members want to leave!

Date: December 16, 2013 05:33PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 05:35PM by silhouettes.

Date: December 16, 2013 05:36PM

I didn't want to wait any longer while they dilly dally so I called member records. That alone was not fun the lady kept acting like they never received it. So I asked her to email me personally so I can reply straight to her email and she said she would try to expedite the my letter once I reply to her email with it. I have also since asked her my bishops email where I could also send him an email regarding my resignation making it clear I want no further contact from TSCC. So now I see if they will actually send it out tomorrow like she said they would most likely do =D

Posted by: Anonymous999 ( )
Date: December 08, 2013 07:23AM

I guess they are at 15,000,001 now lol.

Although unfortunate you got baptised, you should be very happy you learned the truth so quickly and that there was no serious or lifelong repercussions.
You also don't have to give 10% of your income to the rich and filthy businessmen in SLC!

Woohoo!

Resign ASAP.

Posted by: brother not of jared ( )
Date: December 08, 2013 09:16AM

Sorry my friend, but you fell for the cult's pressure just like me. :-(

But there's life after mormonism and that's good!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.