Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lighten Up, Francis! ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 06:56AM

Well, he got with his girlfriend when she was 16 to his 33, so I'd say yes, as he was clearly a man after Joey's own heart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 07:45AM

By that logic Milo Ventimiglia is a mormon lol.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I was reading on another board that Paul Walker said in an interview that the worst thing in his life was being born a mormon.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 09:27AM

It's certainly true, but I wonder if Paul said it....

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 09:37AM

Wow. He was raised in the church, too. How many does that make now? Aaron Eckhardt, Amy Adams, several others. At least two of them went on LDS missions. (Eckhardt and... Can't remember the other.)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 03:57AM

"Aaron Eckhardt"

No wonder he played such a good "Two Face".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 07:36AM

Aaron Eckhart was mission companion with one of my friends in France. I even have a copy of a newspaper article from a French paper about them, including a photo.

Eckhart graduated from BYU. That's where he met Neal LaBute. Eckhart starred in Labute's movie "In the Company of Men", which was his first starring film role. His next film was also a LaBute picture, "Your Friends & Neighbors."

Eckhart is no longer practicing LDS, and neither is my friend and his former comp. He's an exmo just like us.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 10:31AM

Who?

Never heard of him 'til he killed himself...

Guess I was livin' under a rock...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 10:34AM

I'm going to say no because in one of the pictures he had a visible tattoo, he has a 15 year old daughter out of wedlock and one of his quotes had him saying the "f" word. Nothing I read ever indicated any commitment to the church, other than a mention that he was raised LDS, although one quote he said he was a Christian.

And the news story I read said his girlfriend was a 19 year old college student. That younger girl someone saw him and published was his girlfriend with was probably his daughter. Not that middle-aged men should date teenagers, but at least he was legal.

BTW breedum - he didn't kill himself. He died in an automobile accident.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 10:35AM by CA girl.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 10:58AM

He also wasn't the driver...

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 01:24PM

yeah, i figured that out by reading the full article....

am i forgiven?

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 10:37AM

There's no way he was active LDS. If he was still active, TSCC would have been trotting him out to every meeting/event they possibly could. Take Gladys Knight for example.

TSCC loves it celebrity members and uses them as much as possible.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 10:40AM

I didn't even know he was raised mormon until this thread. I would say that judging by his role in the movie "Running Scared" that he wasn't a TBM.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 10:57AM

No, he wasn't active. A guy in the ward here was friends with him growing up and bore his testimony about what a good guy he was, but how sad it was that he hadn't been active for years and lost his salvation.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 01:41PM

I didn't know he was raised Mormon until this thread, as none of the reports I've read or heard mentioned religion at all.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 01:42PM

Obviously not. Otherwise he would have prayed that he "get home in safety".

Posted by: YO ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 02:24AM

Even if he did pray to get home safely that wouldn't exactly mean that he would. Obviously everything happens for a reason and the thing was that was his time. So yeah

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 02:10PM

No he was not active LDS, at least between 2006-2008. His grandpa was in my mission(Arcadia, CA). Various elders visited them and talked about it--hey they met a celebs grandparents/parent. They all mentioned that Paul Walker was anti-Mormon. His granpa was uber Mormon. He would go to places to protest other faiths type stuff.

This was all second hand information from elders who served in the grandpas ward. It was around sunland area if I remember correctly.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 05:32PM

from the UPI story:

"Walker was born in Glendale, California and raised in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles County. The son of Paul Walker III (a sewer contractor) and Cheryl (née Crabtree; a former fashion model), he is the second oldest of his four siblings (two brothers and two sisters). Walker was raised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon, church. While he has stopped practicing the religion, his family are still members of the church. Walker attended and graduated from Village Christian School. After high school, he attended several community colleges, seeking a degree, and a career, in marine biology."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/topic/Paul_Walker/#ixzz2mMLp0A29

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 02, 2013 06:39PM

If he was he starred a in lot of R rated movies that the morg wouldn't like!

Posted by: Dhan ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 02:19AM

If his life was an active of the Church I believe that he could not die and he still alive..

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 04:21AM

. . . he's found in the category of "Former and Inactive Members":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Latter_Day_Saints
____

More . . .

Before Walker died, there was this write-up (and quotes) about how he abandoned his Mormon faith system in favor of non-demoninationl Christianity:

"Walker was brought up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or Mormons, in a large family of five children. Some of the more visible aspects of that faith include abstaining from sex before marriage and abstaining from drugs and alcohol. Apparently, Walker no longer follows these guidelines, however, as he says:

"'I still hold myself accountable. I’m not the kind of guy who’s taking advantage of my position. I could be sleeping with a different 18-year-old girl every day if I wanted to. But that’s not my speed.'

"In fact, Walker doesn’t consider himself a Mormon anymore but he’s still quite religious–in a non-denominational, Christian sort of way. And he simply doesn’t get atheism:

"'I’m a Christian now. The things that drove me crazy growing up was how everyone works at fault-finding with different religions. The people I don’t understand are atheists. I go surfing and snow boarding and I’m always around nature. I look at everything and think, ‘Who couldn’t believe there’s a God? Is all this a mistake?’ It just blows me away.'"

http://hollowverse.com/paul-walker/
_____

Walker explained his non-Mormon Christian beliefs, and how he was glad to get out of Mormonism:

"In a 2005 'USA Toda'y article [ http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-09-27-paul-walker_x.htm ] the California native says he grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but eventually left the Mormon faith. According to Walker's biography on IMDb [ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908094/bio ] he became a non-denominational Christian later in life. . . .

"The late actor who in a 'GQ UK' magazine interview talked about how his Christian education and Mormon background influenced his thinking about family.

"'It's so funny, my daughter now lives with me full time and my original plan was to work up until I was 40 then reassess my life, even go in a completely different direction with things,' Walker had told 'GQ' in an August 2013 interview. 'I thought at this point in my life I would need to be home with her (16-year-old Meadow Rain Walker), but she wants me to keep acting so she can travel around the world with me. Would that be so bad? Thing is, I went to a born-again Christian high school, was brought up in a traditional Mormon family where these ideas about parenting are of structure and sacrifice. To think outside of that idea of family and parenting that I've grown up with is tough, but also very freeing."

http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/49800/20131201/paul-walker-dead-at-40-the-christian-fast-and-furious-star-known-for-a-heart-to-help-others.htm#ixzz3WtRoxhon
_____

Despite leaving the Mormon religion in favor of preferred personal lifestyle choices, Walker maintained positive contact with his TBM family:

"After a string of hit movies, including 'Joyride' and two 'Fast and the Furious' films, Walker has been able to afford the Santa Barbara oceanfront home he shares with his Chesapeake Bay retriever, Boone, who appears as his dog in 'Into the Blue.' The doors to his house are always open to his family, who adhere to the Mormon faith. Walker stopped following the religion's guidelines (no drinking alcohol, no premarital sex) several years ago."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-09-27-paul-walker_x.htm
_____

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 04:58AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 06:04AM

I hope he did not have a mormon funeral and the burial in temple clothes!

Date: April 10, 2015 07:06AM

. . . you wouldn't have made such a comment.

Just sayin.'

(WARNING: Not a pleasant read)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2533438/Paul-Walker-autopsy-reveals-horrific-injuries-left-actors-skin-burned-multiple-bones-broken-100mph-crash.html

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 08:16AM by steve benson.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 07:45AM

Date: April 10, 2015 07:48AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 07:48AM by steve benson.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 12:01PM

He seems like he was a really cool dude and there is also the positive that he is "one of us." It's too bad his life was cut short.

Posted by: amyjomeg ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 12:18PM

It was a tragic loss for all who knew him, including the world of entertainment.

He touched a lot of lives. Seemed like a nice enough sort.

The driver was going way over the speed limit when they crashed. Like 100 mph in a 30 mph zone.

Neither had been drinking or under the influence.

Did the driver have a death wish?

Posted by: sweetMel ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 05:37PM

I didn't know he was a member of the church until i read this article.. I just felt sorry for him and the decision he had make by leaving the Mormon church adhering to the "no alcohol, no premarital sex' values..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.