Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 03:10PM

Timr out for women seems to be all the rage now. Where did this come from? If anyone out there has for sure answers or even educated guesses, I'd love to hear. I'm asking for myniece, but also because I'm personally a bit interested. It's been busy at the hospital but I'm watching a patient, which I can do with just one eye because the patient is going absolutely nowhere at the moment.

Anyway, who actually administers these"Time out for wome" gigs? Is it the church itself, BYU extended education, some wealthy and entreprenurial Mormon, or none of the above?

How much does it cost a woman to attend Time Out for Women"? Does that include any perqs like lunch, or just the fee for resting one's butt in a seat?

Are the speakers paid? or is their compensation limited to ridiculously cushy lodging, meals, etc? Or are they expected to fend for themselves, as in it's sort of a calling?

How are these events publicized? Are church women TOLD to attend?Are they encouraged? Is it something far enough out of the price range of some that it's hardly talked aobut at church?

Are men allowed to attend as long as they pay the price? I understand that they speak in some cases.

When did his Time Out for Women stuff start? i left the church seven years and three months ago. I don't remember hearing about these functions, although I was in South America for most of my final two years of church attendance.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 27, 2013 02:01PM

Does anyone know anything about this?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 06:20PM

All I know is it seems to church sponsored.

My SILs go every year. My wife never went. Maybe they didn't have it when she was active.

They live in northern Utah.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 06:55PM

I don't know anything about it but the title sure bothers me. What, were the women naughty? I've had friends list on FB that they are going, from UT and AZ. All super TBMs.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 07:15PM

These are sponsored by Deseret Book. A Sherrie Dew idea in the beginning so she could speak, be worshiped, and then sell her books and tapes. Then if three people, get three more people and they all buy her books--she is a millionaire and doesn't have to associate with the riff/raff anymore. All the speakers are those who have books or CD's to sell through Deseret Book.One more arm of HeartSell!

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 07:45PM

Seems everyone in Australia went a few months back, in Sydney.

My NOM wife is lgbt friendly, convinced Sheri Dew is a struggling lesbian.

actually, we're not even NOM anymore come to think of it

Date: November 27, 2013 07:47PM

This information makes perfect sense. I was sure it was somehow a money-making venture.

Nailamindi, I, too, hate the name.

Date: November 27, 2013 07:50PM

I have a female cousin who has come out as a lesbian. She says that Sheri Dew pings in a big way. That's just the opinion from the gaydar of one lesbian, obviously, but she's never told me anything that turned out to be wrong in that regard.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 07:51PM

I think the time out means that a man is sending the woman to her room.

In accordance with LDS priesthood lore, a woman should be baking, cooking, or cleaning in the kitchen. When not doing that she, of course, should be in the laundry room.

By allowing, and directing a timeout to the bedroom, the wife has an opportunity to redeem her mistakes by pleasuring her priesthood holder. She of course must always remember that sexually she is competing with actual or potential sister wives, and should do everything physically possible to honor the physical presence of her husbands priesthood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2013 07:54PM by deco.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 07:58PM

It's like a retreat.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 08:22PM

When I was a TBM I loathed Time Out for Women. It represented everything that was shallow, time-wasting and doctrinally incorrect about Mormon culture. The women who could afford to go (what with fees, getting babysitters, etc.) rubbed it in to the women who couldn't afford to attend. Worst of all, it was run by Deseret Book--which is the actual abominable whore of the earth in the Book of Mormon--but was treated as if it was actually official.

Now that I'm a filthy apostate I just think it's funny. Pathetic, but funny.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.