Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scruples ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 08:38PM

My husband just pointed out an article on national geographic saying they just discovered about 30% of the native Americans were from Western Europe. I don't know what to think about this? It sure doesn't help my point any though. :/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 08:45PM

I read it. Tracked back like 24,000 years ago. Tell me how that validates BOM time line?

Posted by: Scruples ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 08:54PM

True. It was just a much more compelling arguement for me before this stupid article.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 08:59PM

Apparently, some of the ancestors of Europeans strayed through Asia on their way from Africa. Interesting to realize that we Europeans are therefore related to the Native Americans we met (and screwed over) when we arrived in the New World.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 09:02PM

Can ultimately be traced back to Africa.

Your husband's point means nothing. Other than the fact that around 30% of the DNA of native americans was derived from a certain geographical location 24,000 years ago.

If 30% of their DNA could be traced back to semetic origins 2000 - 3000 years ago, that would be a different story entirely.

Is he being purposefully obtuse, or does he really not understand the basics of genetics?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 09:56PM

schlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can ultimately be traced back to Africa.
>
> Your husband's point means nothing. Other than
> the fact that around 30% of the DNA of native
> americans was derived from a certain geographical
> location 24,000 years ago.
>
> If 30% of their DNA could be traced back to
> semetic origins 2000 - 3000 years ago, that would
> be a different story entirely.
>
> Is he being purposefully obtuse, or does he really
> not understand the basics of genetics?

I'm guessing Scruple's husband believes that humans have lived on the earth for only about 6000 years which is of course complete nonsense.

Scruples, you should ask your husband if he now accepts that humans lived in Asia 25,000 years ago? Because evidence of that fact was also presented in the paper. Or did he overlook that evidence because it didn't support his world view?

Europeans, Asians and Native Americans also share a heap (99.9%) of DNA with Africans, going back 50,000 years. But I'm guessing your husband has no interest in that science.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 09:19PM

They are STILL not Hebrew.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 09:30PM

The genetic story, which is inherently definitive of our origins, is being decoded. It is based on real fact, not crazy religious fantasies. Anyone still relying on the likes of Mormon theology to determine our origin are simply deluded. The scales of superstition will be stripped away. We are in the new enlightenment, but we are grappling with these religionists who insist on the old ways. The stubborn falsities are driven by that old con man's favorite, FAITH. Faith needs to be wiped out. FAITH="Pretending to know what you do not know."

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 09:54PM

rationalist01, my thoughts exactly. You can't argue with DNA. The DNA markers in your own DNA are perfect historical time & place tracers. We know where & when your ancestors lived. Amen!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.