Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mary Lou ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 09:24AM

it will affect his view of the church. He is at least aware of many of the issues due to conversations I've had with him in the past. Will reading this book (I've never had the need to read it) lead him to doubt? Or will it give him apologetic reasons to continue believing? I would appreciate feedback from those of you who have read it. Thank-you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 11:21AM

You have to really want to believe for this book to be faith promoting. The first time I read it, I was preparing to go on a church history tour. I had felt for some time that JS was a fallen prophet. The book didn't change my mind, but it also didn't topple my shelf. It should have. It mentions the various versions of the first vision and the explanation it gives it ridiculous. Somehow, I missed that part. It was a different book the second time I read it.

I suspect that we find what we want to find and the same may be true for your son. If he is comfortable in TSCC the book may not change his mind. If he is already restless, there is information in the book that could give him the nudge he needs to leave.

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 11:47AM

I haven't read the book but if he's open to any communication about it afterward, have him look at Mormonthink.com. Just tell him it's ran by former and current church members who really have a lot of detail about the various issues.

Maybe then he'll start I see how dumb the apologists arguments really are.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:01PM

The filter is strong. People ignore brother crazy, the bad teachings, bad history, bad etc. because it would hurt their testimony.

People have trained their whole life to keep their testimony strong. They invent explanations in their head, or just put it aside.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:18PM

I think it really depends on how much of a truth seeker he is. I think a lot of Mormons may be shaken by the book. Some will latch onto the author's apologetic explanations, puff up their chest, and keep on with the faith convincing themselves that all the anti's have been answered by this book. Others will see that there REALLY ARE historical problems in Mormonism, as confirmed in this book, but may not be totally satisfied with this author's answers. These are the type that have the curiosity to investigate further.

In my opinion this is a good book if you can't get a TBM to read anything they consider anti. Depending on the individual it may or may not do anything to their faith.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:34PM

The author puts things in a positive light, however there are issues raised that make you think. He says that it was common for people back then to have experiences like Joseph. That begs the question how was Joseph any different? Was he just wanting to fit in? Of course, he doesn't say that, but as a TBM, I wondered that.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:38PM

I read it after I had seriously started doubting. It definitely pushed me over the edge. It really bothered me at how bias the author was in his presentation. He would continually inform the reader of Josephs "true" intentions, and what his motavating thoughts and feelings really were behind everything.

There is no way I could buy it all after that book. But I can totally see how many members wouldn't bat an eye at it. After each troubling issue it gives a quick reassurance about it all being perfectly understandable. I think as members, a lot of the time thats all we are looking for, assurance that it's ok for us to keep our belief.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 02:38PM

yes, he was totally repentant for gold digging. Of course, that wasn't a problem, cause it was normal for the time...

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 02:28PM

I found that this book was like an 'official' admission of the facts I had already discovered but with a careful and softly approach.

It did confirm a lot of what I knew already.

I had already read Grant Palmers book Insiders View (I highly recommend this one).

I also read B H Roberts 'Studies In The Book of Mormon', a collection of well written out essays from this very intelligent and enquiring General Authority. Blew Mormonism away for me as well as Grant Palmers book.

Rough Stone Rolling is a helpful start but then try and get him on to the other two books for the real deal.

Posted by: Mary Lou ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 03:25PM

Thank you for your responses. My hope is that he will recognize the difficult task it is for some people to believe (me). I have been open with him about my reasons and for the most part he is not judgmental. He is only 22 yrs old. My main goal for him is that if he is going to remain Mormon he will at least be a liberal one, with a fairly relaxed and accepting belief system.

Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 03:40PM

I think it takes something personal for someone to question the church. Not a book but an Ah Ha moment. You know, there are some people the church is just crazy good for. And some it is poison.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.