Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:22PM

Interesting news today:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/judge-strikes-down-law-that-gives-clergy-members-tax-free/article_b8b1c816-bd2b-5f46-9d5a-68c5ad0ed39d.html

" A federal judge has found unconstitutional a law that lets clergy members avoid paying income taxes on compensation that is designated part of a housing allowance.

The decision Friday by U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb could have far-reaching financial ramifications for pastors, who currently can use the untaxed income to pay rental housing costs or the costs of home ownership, including mortgage payments and property taxes."

I suppose this doesn't affect LDS bishops or SPs because they have to provide their own housing anyway. But what about GAs and MPs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goojabee ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:43PM

That's a start

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:04AM

I'll put my 'legal glasses' on & read this, 'right away' ha ha.

Seriously, I do like to (try to) de-cipher legal reasoning.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:49AM

If you are thinking of mission presidents in this case, I don't think they qualify for the exemption anyway. Technically, from their responsibilities outlined in the MP handbook, they are administrators rather than ministers for US tax purposes.

However, I do not claim to know US tax law, so I could be wrong. I do know that they do not qualify for such an exemption in the UK although TSCC 'claims' it by hiding the details.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:23PM

Exactly - it's a start. But honestly, it's not the tax exemptions that bother me as much as the willingness of the government to give those exemptions to entities who claim to be a church, without demanding they open their books to the public.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:32PM

Agreed.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:43PM

This matters to me too. Tax exemption, charitable status--open your books. Transparency. Sacred secrets, no transparency or accountability to outsiders granting the exemptions and funding the services the Church uses, no tax exemption--works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 01:33PM by gentlestrength.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.