Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 09:55PM

When were you told you'd be wearing the temple garb at the wedding? Were you aware of the rules of modesty for the dress and that you'd have to have extra cloth if it wasn't modest enough? How did you do your hair different so they veil wouldn't destroy it (if you knew).

As a TBM, did you yearn for a civil wedding, or was the temple wedding special enough?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kc ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 09:58PM

My wedding at the temple was very downplayed. The green apron OVER my dress and the baker's hat on my groom surprized me. It was not really special. A long time ago, I wrote about it here: http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon285.htm

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 09:59PM

I went to a temple wedding of a friend after my mission so I knew exactly what to expect, which was a good thing. But prior to my mission, I was told that you had to wear a dress that was straight white, not cream, that covered everything and that they would give me a veil to wears so I'd have to bring something to fix my hair after the wedding. It didn't bother me at the time, having such strict rules but I'm glad I knew how really silly the whole thing was before I tried it myself. Some of the young leaving the temple on their wedding day look a bit stunned in their pictures.

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:00PM

I thought I would be okay with it. I didnt know everything that went on, but I thought they would make it special (they didnt).

So, to answer the question.... I went into it thinking it would be fine, came out of it wishing that I had a special experience like any other bride gets on their wedding day.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:00PM

I wore the same dress my mother (and a few other relatives) wore through the temple. It had a boat neck, and they slapped a dickie on me. yuck.

Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:02PM

My wife had a beautiful dress, and I was really excited to see her in it at our ceremony, you can imagine my dismay when I had to change into the $3 rental ninja suit, and she shows up in the same female garbage. She does not remember much about the ceremony today which is ok with me! I do recall her mentioning how bummed she was during our honeymoon.

We were just talking about a do over at our 20 year anniversary in a few years. We'll do it right then for sure!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:11PM

My wedding dress had short sleeves so I had to wear special insert sleeves with my dress. I expected it though. I was told beforehand that I couldn't wear a short sleeved dress in the temple.

What I didn't expect was the temple garb over my dress. I didn't understand that part until I was getting dressed in the bride's room.

I thought my temple wedding was special enough because I had always been told it was the "right" way to get married. It's only now many years later that I regret it.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:03PM

I had just taken out my endowments so I was pretty bamboozled to begin with, and then to have to wear all the stuff OVER my simple but lovely dress was a bit much, but I was in a kind of a daze. No one told me that my dress had to cover everything, but as luck would have it I chose to have a victorian style dress with high neck, long sleeves etc, so that part was fine. I don't think I would have welcomed any additions to my dress, along with the apron etc. I remember my friend pinning my mother's antique veil, that was attached by some flowers, to my hair in the bride's room after the ceremony. The temple worker objected a little saying that " We usually wait until we leave the temple to do that". Fortunately my friend ignored her, put my bouquet (which I had made, along with my headpiece) into my hand, and put the horseshoe on a ribbon (an Australian custom of good luck) over my arm ( she knew that all that stuff was very important to me) and I walked out of the Temple in full bridal gear. I am glad about that.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:23PM

Well, back in the mid 70s you didn't have the option of a short-sleeved dress with something slipped over your arms. We were told our wedding dress must be long-sleeved and high neck with no train.

I found out I'd be wearing the hideous robes and veil over my wedding dress exactly 0 minutes before my mom started putting them on me. I thought they were only for the endowment. I was just sick. Especially when I had to put on that ugly veil.

The whole thing was a blur after that. I'd had my throat/gut slashing endowment two weeks earlier an was just barely getting over that shock when "guess what? We're going to make this temple stuff even shittier." Where was my brain?

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:08PM

DH and I were both converts, so we opted to get civilly married since we had to be members for a year anyway before going to the temple. Our bishops and SP approved, but people treated us like crap because they assumed we'd fornicated and that's why we were waiting. We were so excited to get sealed and we thought that everyone at the temple would be excited for us and wanting to make our day extra-special.

We were so wrong. Since all our relatives were non-Mos, they had to go to the visitor's center and watch a movie. Even though we'd explained this to them well beforehand, some of them got very upset, and the workers didn't understand why and showed them zero understanding.

I got a grouchy matron who left me alone in the bride's room to prepare, even though I had no idea what to do. She acted like we were scum for getting civilly married first even though we were converts.

We got our endowments right before the sealing. The session was crowded and people were impatient with us as we tried to figure out all the weird clothing. I had no idea I'd have to put on all those silly-looking pieces over the gorgeous dress I'd handmade. Nobody told me that my big bouffant hoop-skirted dress wouldn't work very well in the temple.

I don't even remember the sealing. It took all of three minutes as some smelly old guy we'd never met mumbled words over us. DH's hands were sweaty and shaking as he held mine over the altar. I do recall being excited about all those worlds and blessings. We got about three seconds to look in the mirrors at our reflection before we were hustled out to make room for the next couple.

Back in the bride's room, the grouchy matron tried to hurry me out to make room for the next bride. I asked her a couple of questions about the garment, but she didn't answer them very well. I remember thinking it was a lot less special than I'd dreamed. It definitely did NOT live up to my expectations.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:34PM

Ithink my mom was really disappointed so she made sure her gils knew basically what to expect beforehand. What she couldn't synthesize with her LDS mindset ws that her daughters would hve been even less disappointed had she pointed them away frm an LDS temple as a wedding site altogether.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 11:22PM

Exactly what do you put over the wedding dress? The apron, I know about, and also a wimple-like veil. But isn't there a sash and other things too?

Some of the posters talk about wearing their wedding dresses with the apron and stuff; others talk about putting temple robes OVER the wedding dress. Was there an earlier time when the gown itself had to be covered, and if so, when did that change?

Would a white suit or all-white tuxedo be acceptable for the groom (with the apron and baker's hat, of course)?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.