Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 02:28AM

I'm still trying to figure out the Doctor Who quote at the end. How I'm going to end it with it.

MOM’s Funeral Talk
In the year 1979 my mom and dad meet a young single adult dance. They were paired by my cousin. In April 1979 they were married for time and eternity in the Oakland Temple. She had 5 kids from her previous marriage and my father had 2 (me and my older brother ). I’m somewhere towards the middle of the children. After they got married was born. Eventually after getting in foster care they adopted , and . She now had 11 children. We’re a “his, her and ours” kind of family.

During the several last years I’ve been her “right hand man” around the house, going shopping , taking of the animals and other stuff. I know that she appreciated my help when I was sometimes either stubborn or tired. She would sometimes nag at me to do something. But it was important like one of her friends, family or even her visiting or home teachers I did it. It’s been an honor to been help during all of these years. Now that she’s gone I’ve now got to be my father’s right hand man as life is totally different for two of us.

Mom was always teaching us kids about the value of work knowing that one day that we would have to enter the working world. I think that one summer she had me sell sodas at one of the constructions sites nearby our house in Pleasant Hill. Eventually I got jobs in fast food, which lead to other jobs. Then I got my job at Ace in 2003. Of which I worked at for several years.

Mom was always a great animal lover. We had several cats and dogs over the years. In 2001 we got her beloved Jack Russell Terrier Princess and her mate Scruffy before moving to Burley. She then got our family a cat who we named “Tom “or “Tomcat”. Eventually she got two Nubian goats one of which she named “Butterscotch” (since he was tan like Butterscotch) and his brother. We lost his brother a few years afterwards. But then she saw a female Nubian named “Nan”. Nan quickly stole Butterscotch’s heart and hers. One of her last humanitarian effects was rescuing my new Chihuahua terrier “Poncho” Her was a stray running around Ashley’s all summer and she took him and he became my pet. My dad told her before she passed on the Poncho “stole his way into our hearts”.She was always spoiling our pets. Giving the goats grass clippings with our riding lawn mower or branches from our tress. For the dogs, always giving then scraps off the table or rawhide treats. Lately it seems to be chicken jerky since we found out that table scraps are not very good for them.

Lately it seems that was trying to teach me how to cook. She taught me how to cook spaghetti (even though the sauce was from a can) and I’ve kind of have rice figured out somewhat. It’s like that somehow she knew that her time was coming to leave us. We also enjoyed cooking hash browns on Sundays when she was too sick to attend church. I hope that I can learn to cook as time goes on. At least I can cook Stuffer’s Stuffed Peppers and Lasagna Ok.
I’ve always loved my mom even though we went some rough patches when I younger. We eventually got though the rough patches. Over the years I’ve always somehow spoiled Mom somehow. Whether by giving my leftover frosted popcorn from the movies, buying her classic movies when she saw them on TCM or even at the store, many Christmas decorations and knick knacks especially anything with Lighthouses and Penguins. Mom really loved her lighthouses. I think she loved them more than her penguins. I was always sacrificing for her when I could have easily bought stuff for myself instead.

I'm still trying out how to do the quote as a lot of people haven't seen or heard of "Doctor Who". The quote is paraphrased from the end of episode 6 of "The Dalek Invasion of Earth". Any ideas of how to do it? I'm trying to keep this talk about a page or a little bit over!!?? Thanks for the help!!

“During all the years I've been taking care of you, you in return have been taking care of me. One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: topped ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 02:38AM

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:25AM

Beautiful!

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:35AM

Very nice.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 04:06AM

Posted by: fenodyree ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 05:17AM

That was lovely.

Posted by: leroy ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 05:32AM

Any mom would be proud to have these kind and loving words said about them.

ps- I love the Dr. Who quote! Just explain what it is and where it's from.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 09:35AM

Allow me to say first how much I admire your strength. I could not speak when either of my parents died.

You speach is touching and from the heart. I would not change a thing. Your Mom would be so proud of you.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:55AM

shortbobgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Allow me to say first how much I admire your
> strength. I could not speak when either of my
> parents died.
>
> You speach is touching and from the heart. I
> would not change a thing. Your Mom would be so
> proud of you.
The only things I'm changing are a finding where I omitted words. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:58AM

Just mention that there's a favorite quote from Dr. Who that sums up your relationship to your mother. It's goes like this: “During all the years I've been taking care of you, you in return have been taking care of me. One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.”

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:20PM

I also spoke at my mother's funeral. I had written a song that I had song by strangers also. I spent the whole train trip from So. CA to Portland, OR writing my eulogy. It was so difficult, yet so important.
I admire your strength and your lovely tribute filled with the things that meant the most to both of you.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:16PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and support!!

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:48PM

southern Idaho inactive, I love this so much. Your mom was blessed to have you with her in her later years and your tribute to her is touching and from the heart. No eternities stuff, no family together forever stuff, just the memories of what made her special to you in this life, that you will hold in your heart for the rest of your days.

Here's why what you say is important. My beloved grandparents were born again Christians. When my grandfather died, there was no eulogy and no memories shared by the minister, only talk of being born again and accepting Jesus as your savior. I could hardly believe it. Gramps was beloved by so many, and not one word was said about the person he was and why he was special to his family and friends. When my grandmother passed away a couple of years later, I went to the pastor of their church before the service and said flat out, I AM SPEAKING AT THIS FUNERAL. I am a grandchild and I want to say a few words. I was fully prepared to interrupt the whole thing to have my say and I put that point across. The pastor hemmed and hawed around and finally said, "Well, OK, but not too much time because there's another funeral right after this." So at some point he announced me and I did what you're doing. I talked about what a wonderful grandmother she was and about the stories she told and the places she took her grandchildren. I said "I don't know where she is now, but I do know that she will live on in my heart forever." I'm sure that pissed off her born-again minister, but I didn't care. Later, so many people thanked me. Her son, my uncle, said he was so glad I got up and talked and that it was the best part of the funeral.

That is what funerals should be, a sharing of memories of the person who passed, not an admonition to get your act together cause you could be next.

Please let us know how it goes. Hugs to you and my deepest condolences.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:54PM

Your tribute to your Mum is lovely. My very best wishes that you can present it well and as you would want to! Your Mum was lucky to have you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 10:54PM by fluhist.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:07PM

Awesome and moving, but the second paragraph seemed strange to me. I was a little taken back by words like "nag" in regards to your mother. also the "now I have got to be my father's right hand man" came across to me as if it was going to be a chore. May I suggest something like:

It has been my honor to help my mother through the last 7 years of he life. Like any family, we had our ups and downs, but if something was important to her, I made sure it happened. She nurtured and supported me as a child, it was a privileged to support her as she aged. That is what family and love are to me. To my father, <name>, with mom's passing, so much has changed for us, but I want you to know how much I love you and how much I want to support you through life's challenges.

Saying "we had our ups and downs" acknowledges the struggles without attributing specific negative behaviors, like nagging, to anyone.

I am not saying you should use the wording I wrote above, it was an example of another way of approaching what you said.

Date: November 23, 2013 02:25AM

MJ Wrote:
> Awesome and moving, but the second paragraph
> seemed strange to me. I was a little taken back by
> words like "nag" in regards to your mother. also
> the "now I have got to be my father's right hand
> man" came across to me as if it was going to be a
> chore. May I suggest something like:
>
> It has been my honor to help my mother through the
> last 7 years of he life. Like any family, we had
> our ups and downs, but if something was important
> to her, I made sure it happened. She nurtured and
> supported me as a child, it was a privileged to
> support her as she aged. That is what family and
> love are to me. To my father, , with mom's
> passing, so much has changed for us, but I want
> you to know how much I love you and how much I
> want to support you through life's challenges.
>
> Saying "we had our ups and downs" acknowledges the
> struggles without attributing specific negative
> behaviors, like nagging, to anyone.
>
> I am not saying you should use the wording I wrote
> above, it was an example of another way of
> approaching what you said.

Thank MJ.I used your wording and modified it a little bit to fit our family.

During the several last years I’ve been her “right hand man” around the house, going shopping , taking of the animals and other stuff. I know that she appreciated my help even when I was sometimes either too stubborn or tired. It has been my honor to help my mother through the last several years of her life. Like any family, we had our ups and downs, but if something was important to her, I made sure it happened. She nurtured and supported me as a child; it was a privilege to support her as she aged. That is what family and love are to me. To my father, , with mom's passing, so much has changed for the both of us, but I want you to know how much I love you and how much I want to support you through life's challenges.

I took out the following. "But if it was important like one of her friends, family or even her visiting or home teacher coming, I did it. It’s been an honor to been help during all of these years. Now that she’s gone I’ve now got to be my father’s right hand man as life is going to be totally different for the two of us."

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:27PM

Very nice tribute, southern Idaho inactive.

You did a good job on this, and I think your mother would feel very touched.

:-)

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:28AM

A loving tribute from a loving son. I have never watched Dr. Who. However, the quote from the show is a perfect ending to your talk.

Date: November 23, 2013 02:32AM

moira Wrote:
> A loving tribute from a loving son. I have never
> watched Dr. Who. However, the quote from the show
> is a perfect ending to your talk.

Here is where you can watch the clip of where my quote is coming from. It's under the video clip of :The First Doctor bids adieu to his granddaughter. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)".It's the seventh picture on the link.You have to scroll a long way to find it.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Susan_Foreman

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 11:38AM

That was lovely - good job and hang in there. Hugs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.