Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derfo ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:02AM

Hi,

My name is Ricardo Pedrosa, i’m from Portugal and i’m 33.
I converted to mormonism at age 14, served a mission at Portugal Porto and served as a Bishop of Setúbal 1 until 4 months ago. There hasn’t been called a new Bishop yet, but I’m not attending and have already asked for my name removal.

I’m now an Irreligious Moderate Antitheist.

Irreligious for not professing any religion.

Antitheist for promoting the end of every religion as a propagator of faith or other supernatural superstitions.

Moderade Antitheist because I proclaim that the end of religions should come not by decree, but by informing and educating the individual.

I just wrote a book with my new philosophical-existential vision.

Anyone here from Portugal? Anyone here served mission in Portugal?

There is not a formal group of ex mormons in Portugal. Leaving the church and declare it publicly is a trip in the desert, but ok. Better alone in the desert, than inprisioned inside the cell of faith, now I have to look for an oasis of rational people to dwell in.

Don’t spend your time living yesterday or tomorrow, enjoy today to the fullest because you shall not live it again.

Ricardo Pedrosa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 12:44AM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:21AM

Great to have you here! Would love to hear about your deconversion process.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:38AM

Ditto!

A warm welcome to you, Ricardo.

Posted by: jimbob ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:22AM

Wow. Talk about a courageous move. Were you the bishop and you simply stopped going to church? How did that go?

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:24AM

Welcome sir!!! Your story will be interesting.

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:29AM

Ricardo, you'll find an oasis in the desert here on the recovery board. There are many, many thousands just like you, all over the world! Great job on finding the truth. Questioning the existence of God is the reality of many on this board (including myself). Leaving the cult of Mormonism really puts a lot of exmormons into a tailspin of reality. Again, we're lucky to all be one big, crazy family here on RfM!!

Enjoy your exciting, FREE new life! It sounds like you're pretty far along in the process but you can check out my exit story on mormonthink.com under 'personal stories', Lance Miles. I was born in the church, went on a mission, married in the temple, faithful member until one average Sunday in February 2013 @ 40 years old.

Good luck my friend!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 12:30AM by newnamenephi.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 07:18AM

Lance your story was awesome. Hope everyone here has a chance to read it.

http://mormonthink.com/personalstories/lancemiles.htm

Link to Lance's story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 07:21AM by notamormon.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:33AM

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:42AM

Welcome Richardo and congratulations on your move!! I am in Australia, there are some ex-mos here, but I do know how it feels to leave the church all by yourself. Anything I can do to help, just say!

Posted by: Ben Vindo ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:46AM

I served in Lisbon North 1990-92. I love your country, did not love being a missionary. I look forward to hearing your story and more about the church in Portugal.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 02:48AM

Thank you for introducing yourself and giving us a synopsis of your story. I look forward to hearing some parts in greater detail when you're ready to share.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:25AM

As luck would have it, I'm in a hotel in Lisbon right now. Leaving at noon, so if you want to meet for coffee this morning, call hotel sana Capitol and ask them to put you through to room 507. I'm one of the regular pain in the ass posters here, if you need referencias on me!

I came in last Sunday and hopped the aeroporto bus to my hotel, and what should I see out the window but two Elders standing by their bikes in front of a McDonalds. How's that for juxtaposing the two biggest symbols of corporate conformity on the planet!

Leave a message if I am out of the room. I need to check out about 11:40. If you are not in Lisbon, or can't get away from work, been nice almost meeting you. I had a lovely week in Lisbon. My first time ever in Europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 03:25AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:49AM

Welcome to this board.

Posted by: Brazilian Mary ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 04:50AM

Bem-vindo!

Sou do Brasil, e ex-mórmon há muitos anos. É uma árdua jornada, mas vale a pena. A liberdade e a integridade não têm preço.

Abraço!

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 05:20AM

Hi Ricardo,

I now live in Portugal (Algarve). If you would care to contact me at tomphillips@romneysfaith.com maybe we could meet up or at least phone/email one another.

Kudos to you.

Tom

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 06:28AM

That's "more exotic" than Malta? Well, at least you are connect to land. A friend of mine used to live in Malta, and he got "island fever" pretty quickly. Good luck there.

Date: November 22, 2013 06:48AM

We have more than 100 beautiful beaches in the Algarve, as well as forests, lakes and mountains within short driving distance. I can also go to Spain and visit Seville or Cadiz for the day.

The people are very friendly too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 07:01AM

I have heard from an ex resident of Portugal that it's really poor in terms of getting things down professional. So tradesmen are hard to find and are unreliable etc and that generally things a inefficiently operated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 07:01AM by Stumbling.

Date: November 22, 2013 07:51AM

Depends where you live in Portugal. Like all countries there are variations within the country.

The only disappointment we have is a slower internet connection than we were used to - no fibre optic lines or 4G in our area. However, there is 4G in another part apparently.

Date: November 22, 2013 09:57AM

Yeah, but living in Portugal sounds sweet. Been having any grilled sardines? Never been there, but I love what I see and read about, and have known quite a few people from there whom I loved and admired. Seems like a nice place.

Posted by: Nole Girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:50AM

I think the best meal I've ever eaten was grilled sardines in Belem. Portuguese food is unbelievably good. I'd go back tomorrow.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:53AM

One of the best meals I ever ate was in Portugal -- huge fat fresh sardines in a small fishing port ... colorful boats along the shore.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 05:42AM

Is this you:
Hello,

My name is Ricardo Pedrosa. Iam the author of the blog scienceorreligions.blogspot.com and 34 other blogs. I'm also a convert to the lds faith since 19 years ago. I served as a missionary 11 years ago and currently as Bishop here in Setubal.

I've been reading your forum for several years and i'm finally joining it.

It will be a pleasure to join the discussion. :D

(August 2013)

Date: November 22, 2013 06:26AM

Ricardo, so nice to hear from you. Yes, it is better to walk alone in the desert sometimes. I hope it all works out for you.

Nice English, too.

I used to be in the Frankfurt International Ward and we had lots of Portuguese Mormons in the ward who work for the church. No doubt you know some of them, but I can no longer think of their names.

I've always wanted to go to Portugal so badly. Always.

Best of luck.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 06:33AM

Not in Portugal but really glad you are here!

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:36AM

Congratulations Ricardo on leaving.

I know just one stake president in Portugal. If he were my stake president I would have took that as the strongest evidence that the church was not true. He was a creep.

Posted by: Former Mish. ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:46AM

This was way back when it was a single mission for the entire country - 1984-1985. I was the last of the 18 month crew.

I'm trying to remember what towns I was assigned... Porto, Coimbra, Alverca, I'm pretty sure there was a fourth area but, maybe I'm blocking out bad memories. Like was said above, I loved the country and it's rich history. I feel like a total jerk for trying to convince such great people that they needed to be Mormons. Please forgive me.

Welcome!

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:36AM

RfM and/or MT should engage people like Ricardo and ask them to contribute just one page to the site in their native language. It wouldn't take too long to have a page in every critical language.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:40AM

I had a friend there who probably served with you. Sadly, he is still TBM, but a very moderate one. I have hopes for him

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:42AM

Hi Ricardo,

Welcome. I am in southern Ontario Canada. We had a lot of Portuguese speaking members, so much that a few years ago a Portuguese branch was open here. I don't know how it is going but those people were some amazing people. Too bad how the church takes so much from many.

I don't know many exmos here but have been trying to find those that went inactive suddenly at some point. I found a couple so far and they have removed their names from the church. It's not easy so walk alone in the dessert but like you said it's the better choice.

D

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:45AM

Welcome Ricardo! I visited Portugal in 1977 as a 21 year-old and loved your country enormously.

My ancestors on my mom's side came from Portugal and the Canary Islands in Spain.

So glad you found your way out of the Church. Please post often as we welcome your comments and contributions.

Posted by: Crud ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:58AM

If we can't personally see you in Portugal, I hope at least that we will see you here often! Welcome.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:10PM

Welcome to RfM, Ricardo.

May I suggest that you would find a community of like-minded anti-theists at http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/

The topics of discussion vary widely, with an emphasis on science. If you wish to talk about your own situation, you might try the Lounge. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/11/21/lounge-442

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.