Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulbot ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 12:59PM

It is a show following young folks leave FDLS. You can bet that there will be a ton of Mormons everywhere driving home the point that Warren Jeffs is not a Mormon. I think it will be a good chance to actually explain that Jeffs is in fact a true follower of Joseph Smith.

http://www.mormoninfographics.com/2012/08/joseph-smith-vs-warren-jeffs-visualized.html

Jeffs had more wives but he was 51 when he was arrested while Smith was only 39 when he was arrested. How many more wives and how much younger would they have been if he was on the lose for another 12 years. Smith married 17 woman in 1843, 8 in 1842 and 3 in 1841. You can see this was accelerating

What is the difference between Warren Jeffs and Joseph Smith?
Jeffs has better security in prison

This is an opportunity to hammer home that LDS folks follow/worship a man/prophet exactly like Jeffs. They are the spawn of Warren Jeffs V1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NotLostnWV ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 01:47PM

I wanna see it! I just saw an FLDS documentary not too long ago. With the clothes they are wearing they remind me of the Amish, but FLDS seems way too miserable of a lifestyle.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 02:05PM

IMO the church cant shake its homology with the FLDS's.
Even when I was TBM, FLDS news made me squirm. I had to actively and defensively rationalize what the differences were between FLDS plyg and historic (and thus intrinsic to LDS "authority") LDS plyg.
And, even as a TBM I knew the brethren were defensive and insecure about it. When Hinckley stated "we have nothing whatsoever to do with those practicing polygamy" I was aware that in fact we do...that FLDS polygamy goes back to LDS polygamy historically.
And, even as a TBM the church's one-track PR approach of denial while playing dumb about where FLDS plyg came from in the first place was disingenuous to me.
Even as an exmo I underestimate plyg as THE #1 issue that hounds mormonism, because in fact it's vestigial and the church is like a dog running from its own tail.
Plyg falsifies the church all by itself IMO. The church tries to walk both rails of depending on a history of specific historic events for its line of authority, that are rooted in the same mud as plyg.
I was well aware as a TBM that a speshul case of plyg had to be true for the church to be true. When unconscionable plyg was covered in the news, somewhere in my mind and heart I had to distinguish it from "true" plyg...which challenged me to come up with some rationale for true plyg. Nothing I could imagine felt true...so I just had to go on dissonantly. This dissonance about plyg is a chronic and immeasurable leak for the church.

Posted by: nlocnil ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:39PM

DVR set!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:03AM

Mine too.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:27PM

Is it possible to watch this online if you don't have cable?

Posted by: PlygsAreMormons ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:38PM

You know, jump all over me if you want...I really don't care. The LDS want to be called Christians. In fact, they seem to me to almost beg for evangelicals' affirmation (while badmouthing evangelicals out of the other side of their mouths). Yet the LDS deny or significantly alter EVERY major doctrine of the historical Christian faith.

You may think Christianity is B.S., too, and that's no skin off my back...believe what you want.

However, the FLDS, in fact, affirm EVERY major doctrine as taught by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and other early Mormon leaders. I would say that makes them more "Mormon" than the LDS, wouldn't you?

The LDS claim, really, to be the only true Christians and the only true Mormons, as well... and they are dismayed when they simply receive the same treatment they accord others. Ironic, huh?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.