Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 06:54PM

He really is on to something, and is working to release the details of his efforts as soon as possible, as he explains below:

"It is true I have been extremely busy this month on the matter some have named the 'October Surprise.' Due to this, it was impossible for me to attend the Exmo Conference which I dearly wanted to attend. . . .

"The obstacles I am facing were quite unexpected, have taken more time and attention and delayed the outcome. Some of those obstacles are 'political' and there have been attempts by highly influential Mormons to stop me.

"This is the main, though not the only reason, for me having to bail out of the Conference.

"Be assured, however, that I will survive and I will take the fight to them, regardless of what they try. Truth Will Prevail. . . .

" . . . My work on the so called 'October Surprise' was actually completed on 7th October [2013], more than sufficient for an announcement at some time in October.

"The timing of the release was then in the lap of 'higher authorities.' I have been battling these authorities and providing further information to them ever since. However, as I have previously stated, I do not have control of the timing."

"[These individuals are] far more important than [Mormon] Church authorities. That is all I can say at this time."

"Be assured I will do all in my power that it happens as soon as possible. I am not foolish enough, however, to make another prediction of the timing. October was a good faith prediction, entirely possible but for the unforeseen opposition I have received.

"The pressures on me were sufficient to make me consider walking away from the whole issue. Especially given certain nasty comments by some posters on various boards. Nevertheless, having come this far and especially due to the countless messages of support I have received from people willing to be patient, I will not cease until this happens."

("Re: Hey, it's November!--What happened to the October surprise?." by "anointedone"/aka Tom Phillips, on "Recovery from Mormonism" discussion board, 15 November 2013, at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1083313,1083452#msg-1083452; and "Re: Hey, it's November!--What happened to the October surprise?," posted by "anointedone"/aka Tom Phillips, on "Recovery from Mormonism" discussion board, 15 November 2013, at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1083313,1083457#msg-1083457)
_____

As to inquiries regarding the identity of Tom Phillips, it is no secret:

"On RfM [Tom posts] as 'anointed one.' He's also the managing editor of mormonthink and a recipient of the second anointing. Personal acquaintance of Jeff Holland and various other GA's. He was a stake president and secretary to an area presidency."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1082144,1082323#msg-1082323

Here's Tom's bio,, linked through Mormonthink.com:

http://mormonthink.com/tomphillips.htm

Tom is said to live on Malta:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1082144,1082488#msg-1082488

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1082144,1082625#msg-1082625

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 07:07PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 06:59PM

Without him there could be no surprise.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 07:43PM

Not that either Steve or Tom need my support but they are both kinda cool. I met Tom at an exmo gathering in London many years ago and we have kept in touch ever since, meeting up whenever circumstances allow. I keep meaning to check in with him to see what this October announcement malarkey is all about; I have no doubt he's up to something and I can't vouch for him highly enough.

Then again, I don't post on here often so a recommendation from me is probably worth diddly squat!

Oh well, just thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

Is Steve Benson definitely a real person though?!*

* Just my Brit sense of humour. I'm actually quite funny in real life. :o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 07:45PM by clairefergie.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 07:58PM

I guess I don't understand why he would need anyone's permission to do whatever he is doing, unless he is afraid of legal issues? But if his facts are in order, he can't be used for slander, so perhaps this is not such a big deal after all. Reminds me of the "special announcements" I used to hear about for lds confernce, they always turned out to be get your food storage ready or missionaries going at 18, or other let downs. Never what was expected.

Posted by: Zilch ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:25PM

"The timing of the release was then in the lap of 'higher authorities.'"

Could this be a Government-related issue?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 11:07PM

Quite possibly.

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:25PM

Have you thought that maybe it could be something that ended up involving the legal authorities or lawyers? All though he has given them the information needed he may not be able to talk about it and be waiting on them to do what they are supposed to do? So in a sense, it IS out of his hands. People on here need to chill out. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He's been around awhile and hasn't given any of us yet reason to doubt him. It's not like he owes you anything, even if he did say it would be out in October. He owes us nothing. Let him contribute what he can when he can and just be happy if he is able to do it and apathetic about the issue if he can't. Though I would feel for him personally not being able to accomplish something he was trying to do. Thank you for what you have done and may do. Best of luck.

Date: November 16, 2013 12:33AM

+1

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:31PM

I take Tom at his word and support his efforts.

That being said, I think keeping everything quiet until completed would be a better strategy. Why tip TSCC off? We know they read this board. Why give them the opportunity to manipulate the situation?

I'm in favor of a shock and awe strategy - hit them out of nowhere. Even though we like to speculate and anticipate, there's no harm in letting RFM find out after the fact as well. We'll still have a good time watching TSCC squirm.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 01:07AM

Imagine you're a kleptomaniac and a pathological liar, and someone somewhere says they know something you did and will blow the lid off it soon. You would want to keep a lid on the situation, but there are so many situations you have no idea which one you need to keep a lid on.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:35PM

I can imagine why the need to be extra careful and I imagine it is making sure one is on solid legal ground.

Just look at the history of Scientology and their use of the courts. You can be right and still be wiped out financially fighting an opponent with a budget bigger than yours. Many corporations count on that.

Good luck Tom. Ignore the LDS troll.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:55PM

If Tom has something fun to share at some point, great. But, after the amazing four hour interview he made public, I don't care if he's lost his marbles and is about to announce a run for Prime Minister.

Tom is a top-notch cat and has nothing to prove to me. I'm forever a fan.

Posted by: pale&delightsometimes ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 09:10PM

I was so impressed with Tom and his character, especially in contrast to Dehlin! He has already proven himself in my book.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:56PM

The higher authorities are Santa and his elves--we WILL get Lionel trains for Christmas (or Hornby if you live in the UK...)!!

It's true! It's true!

Posted by: oremgirl ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:59PM

Steve Benson,

You are my hero.

Thankyou,

Oremgirl

Posted by: ICEMAN ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 09:00PM

Steve, if TSCC is pressuring Tom not to proceed, the pressure may turn into more than words. Hopefully he has shared his info with trusted others (kept secret), and let TSCC know he is not the only one with the info. There would then be no incentive for TSCC to bring in the Danites.

Date: November 16, 2013 12:35AM

Wow - we think alike.

Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 09:03PM

I guess TSCC hasn't made me too skeptical yet. I believe that Tom is working on something and understand that sometimes we can't control the timing of things.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 10:06PM

Those who are anxious and enjoyed tossing their little impotent diatribe grenades at Tom Phillips, here's some interesting advice:

I hate to quote an LDS apostle, but in this case it works. In a 1990 LDS general conference talk, “If Thou Endure it Well,” Neal A. Maxwell said,

“. . .too many anxious openings of the oven door and the cake falls instead of rising . . . it would be like pulling up a flower to see how the roots are doing.”

I'll wait for Tom's announcement. He is mentioned and often praised in my household. If it were not for him the Second Anointing would not have made its presence known to me.

Tom Phillips has done, and is doing what I perceive to be proper - he lets his conscience be his guide.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 11:03PM

I would like to add my vote of confidence to Tom Phillips and let him know I am extremely grateful for all he has sacrificed in the name of truth. I will never, ever forget his interview with John Dehlin. It touched me so deeply that I still get tears in my eyes whenever I think about it. Tom, please know for every snarky comment, there are hundreds of grateful people who support you in your work.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 01:42AM

+100!!

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 11:29PM

We already know Tom has delivered some majorly uncomfortable (for the corporation) material. He has good form already, anything else has to be a bonus.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 11:36PM

After all, he's not preparing the yearly primary show, or a youth fireside. Something tells me it's a bit more complicated than that.

Posted by: realitycheck ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 11:52PM

The reality is that there are a TON of us out here who support Tom, trust what he has said because we have no reason not to, and are thankful for the personal sacrifice and expense he has gone to regardless of the outcome. He has been around a while and clearly knows that those who are critical tend to comment while those who support may not be so quick to post something. I'll hope for the best and if nothing pans out, it is no reflection on Tom and his hard work (and personal expense).

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 02:20AM

I agree with realitycheck. I support Tom 100%. I have to admit that I am not good with waiting for surprises. I was always the one to search the house for Christmas/birthdays presents etc. But, I do feel like the surprise is big enough and important enough to allow it the time it needs (and Tom needs) to make it happen in its own way. We might all be having a FABULOUS PARTY when we hear the news.
I have a feeling this "Surprise" might take down LD$ Inc. I for one would like to see that happen ASAP, but I waited my whole life for it, a little longer won't kill any of us.
Be patient and wait for word from Tom. Keep us informed Tom as you go. We do appreciate it A LOT!
"

"[These individuals are] far more important than [Mormon] Church authorities. That is all I can say at this time." - SO I GUESS THESE INDIVIDUALS ARE NOT IN UTAH due to this statement since there is no higher power in Utah. WOW, I am super curious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2013 02:22AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: joesphsmyth ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 06:58AM

Tom is a great man, I'm sure he is getting a lot of political pressure the TSSC and its billions of dollars has a lot of influence. Keep up the fight Tom, let truth prevail

Posted by: Billboard ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 07:19AM

I thought it was the placement of bill board for mormonthink.com near salt lake city.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 08:15AM

It makes no sense to pre-publicize this kind of thing for the very reason that there are a combination of trolls, snarky folks and just regular folks who could ruin whatever it is that you've worked on. Whatever it is Tom, best not to talk about it with folks here and for people here not to bug him further!

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 08:16AM

My thought also...awesome placement for the cause.

Next? How about a Mormonthink.com float in the Days of 47' parade? It could be pulled by a monster truck with LDS Inc on the side with 12 men, black suits, in the back of the truck sitting in big red chairs. The men in suits would have piles of cash all around them and money bulging out of their suits. The float could have the mormon thinker statue looking down on a bishop behind a desk. In front of the desk a widow dressed in black raising a giant penny to give to the Bishop. Floating above the mormon think statue would be a cartoon caption stating "WTF?" Under WTF in small letters " Widow's Tithing Funds".

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 08:39AM

Really, thanks Tom for all your efforts, they are noteworthy and truthful.

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 10:19AM

Holy cow....that was funny as all get-out! I'd love to see that thing rolling down the street!

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 09:08AM

I have never met Tom, but after listening to the unedited podcast he did on his Second Annointing, I am very impressed. I know his personal relationships suffered as a result. I was impressed with his honesty and integrity. If he says he can't talk about the "October" Surprise yet, that is good enough for me. It's his to tell or not to tell. He is under no obligation to give us anything. He is one of the people I make an effort to come here and to Mormon Think to read.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 09:41AM

For exmormons who are still fascinated with mormonism,such as myself I can't possibly imagine anything more compelling than what he has already provided. I seriously geeked-out while reading his account of the second annointing, in fact I am going back to read it just one more time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.