Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Catcher ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 10:27PM

This time they said they are sending it to a local bishop to contact me even though they don't have my address or phone number. They just picked one in the area of my PO Box.

They also refuse to use my current name as provided on my request, continually calling me by the name I was sealed to my ex and haven't used in years (when they claimed in the first letter they couldn't 'find' my membership). To top it off they gave me a brochure 'inviting' me to come back. It's all so insulting.

They make it so hard to get out that people must just give up and stay a member. What better way to keep their membership?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 10:35PM

To return it they have to receive it. That means you are resigned. Congratulations!

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 04:24AM

++1

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 09:42AM

+1 congrats you are out

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 10:37PM

Catcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They make it so hard to get out that people must
> just give up and stay a member. What better way
> to keep their membership?

Not me. It just made me more stubborn and determined than ever when they kept sitting on my letter.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 10:46PM

I thought about having my brochure framed and hanging it in the living room like TBMs do pictures of the profit and temples to see what kind of reaction I'd get when TBM friends visited, but decided to throw it in the trash instead.

Congratulations on being out!!!!

Date: November 13, 2013 12:10AM

Has anyone ever actually received a confirmation that they have resigned? I'm not sure I will feel satisfied that it is for real until I have that in hand...is that unrealistic?

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 12:26AM

Well - you are unusually honorable and responsible to want to complete this precisely and correctly.

Consider though, this 'church' is truly a farce.
It is completely 100% a fabrication of old men.

So -- it is like resigning from the Ministry of Silly Walks.

You owe them nothing.
You are and have always been, free.

Best to ye.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 10:30AM

Your walk isn't particularly silly . . . is it?

Love Monty Python.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 09:02AM

I received one, kinda...it went on to say how I was going miss out on all the blessings and a bunch of other horse$hit and that my bishop (who I've never met) would contact me.

Ron Burr

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 12:33AM

Send a letter to the bishop, stake president, and SLC. Tell them you're not playing their game, and consider yourself non mormon as of now. Everyone has a letter, you're not talking to anyone, and they need to get their shit together. If you don't get a letter within 15 days confirming your resignation they will be hearing from your attorney. Enough is enough.

You'll be amazed at how cooperative they an be.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 12:37AM

I CC'd my lawyer on my letter. No trouble whatsoever.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 09:28AM

I also copied my lawyer (happened to be my uncle with same last name) and everything went smooth as pie. The only address I gave them was a P.O. Box and they didn't even give me any grief over that.

It isn't really worth the money but if I was getting the kind of run around you are getting I'd find a lawyer who would represent you and tell TSCC that from now on you would be corresponding with them through your legal counsel. To me it would be worth the cost to see them change their tune, fast. : )

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 03:31AM

Your subject line is deliberately misleading for a second time. They didn't return your letter. They responded to it. Not the same thing. But you know that.

Your sub line creates a meme that they are not letting you resign. This is not true, you were not a member as soon as they got your resignation. And they have not said you are still a member, but they certainly don't bother to tell you you are not a member effective on [date], so they are misleading too.

You're out. The delay is in the processing, which is of little consequence. You could have given them an address, and you could have given them your name as it appears on their records, to speed things along, but no matter. Sounds like it will get done.

So, congrats on putting them through their paces. And to the worriers out there, no, LDS Inc does not refuse to let you resign sometimes, but there are things that can happen to drag the process out.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 09:31AM

A P.O. Box IS an address. For the purposes involved there is no need for a physical address. They just want it to harass and intimidate.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 02:20PM

I agree. I have a PO Box, because I live in the country and my mailing address is my box #. Salt Lake mailed their response to that address.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 05:54AM

At least it sounds like you're making progress. What you've described is what they always do. You've resigned but they haven't finished their silly paperwork. Let's hope they do it soon. If a bish calls, you can tell him that.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 09:21AM

I've heard some people on this board write that, when they had trouble with resigning, they mentioned in followup letters that they might have to have their attorney contact TSCC. Seems like that works, even though TSCC can afford more and better lawyers...very much not worth the cost or hassle for someone who wasn't paying tithes anyway.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 09:31AM

whether or not / which name you've recently used isn't the issue; you need to let them know which name you're referring to in their records IF you want them to change it.

that name, with your DOB and/or membership number should do it.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 02:12PM

Exactly. If you want a record removed or otherwise obliterated, they need to know the name on the record.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 09:46AM

Catcher,

It sounds like they responded and you are officially out. Everyone gets the first letter saying it is a local issue and get a pamphlet inviting you back.

Now if you ignore them, in about 60 days you will get a final letter stating your name has been removed.

If they contact you you can tell them to waive the waiting period and process asap.

In my care took almost 3 months because I refused to talk to any of them, but I did finally get the second letter.

just be patient and don't worry about what name they use. Mine was a wrong name too, but I did not care cause I was out.

congrats

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 13, 2013 10:11AM

for you to have an attorney send a letter. Have it sent certified, return receipt requested. That should get their attention.

Date: November 17, 2013 01:17PM

Apparently the new ward received my resignation request from the church for processing and they have ignored it as well, all they did was add me to the email list for ward news. I was invited to tithing settlement today. On the bottom of the email it says I can unsubscribe if I go to a site and 'sign in' and edit my profile but it won't actually let me unsubscribe either. Oh well, I have their email now and will send the resignation directly and see if that does it.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 01:37PM

Catcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently the new ward received my resignation
> request from the church for processing and they
> have ignored it as well, all they did was add me
> to the email list for ward news. I was invited to
> tithing settlement today. On the bottom of the
> email it says I can unsubscribe if I go to a site
> and 'sign in' and edit my profile but it won't
> actually let me unsubscribe either. Oh well, I
> have their email now and will send the resignation
> directly and see if that does it.

Did you happen to get a bunch of email addresses with your ward news? If so, send a blast back with a Mormonthink link.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 01:39PM

Brilliant.

Absolutely Brilliant.

Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 02:50PM

Fair is fair. Anyone in their right mind should think that when you disrespect anyone to that extent, there should be unexpected consequences. And why shouldn't they know about mormonthink?

Posted by: ChooseTheReasonable ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 04:27PM

THe fact that they keep addressing you by your old name is GOOD. You don't want these people knowing anything about your life now.. not even your name!

I kept using my old address and info - even when I got baptized. I never filled in my parents' names, etc.

It was all "nunya".. nunyadamnbidness

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.