Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: November 10, 2013 11:04PM

She went with her 16 year old brother to grab some Taco Bell (yes, on Sunday) and came home with what I thought was a hot chocolate. She said a little later that it was coffee!! some vanilla mocha thing.

It's weird trying to get rid of my cult coffee ideas! It's funny cuz I wasn't put off about them getting Taco Bell on Sunday but to get a coffee...that's blasphemous!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: November 10, 2013 11:07PM

I'm not a Mormon but When I was a child my parents told me coffee was for adults. So, coffee was a non issue to me until I finally decided to try it at 20. It's still a non issue.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: November 10, 2013 11:08PM

Well, who wants a little kid hyped up on caffeine anyhow ;)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 10, 2013 11:08PM

gateway drug

Date: November 10, 2013 11:14PM

I know, I'm sure she's also smoking, doing drugs and having sex!

Nah...she's an awesome kid! She just realized how stupid it was that we can't have coffee but we'll eat meat any time of the year even though the Word of WISDOM specifically says, TWICE, to eat meat sparingly, only in winter or times of famine.

When I asked my bishop why we disobey the WoW by eating meat in the summer, he said, "Cuz it tastes good!!" Idiots.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 11:22AM

I assume you mean harmful drugs and unsafe sex?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 10, 2013 11:40PM

It took me a while to decide how old my kids should be before I allowed the tea and coffee. I had to take a poll of my non-LDS friends. Nowadays, they'll have an occasional coffee or iced tea but it's not a big deal thing for them. Except Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccinos - they always look forward to them. The other day, DD and an inactive Mormon friend of hers walked to Dunkin' Doughnuts after school for a coffee - they are both teenagers. I think they loved being "grown-ups." But on the other hand, I wonder what age I would have let my kids have the stuff if I wasn't determined to make them comfortable with being non-LDS.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 08:46AM

I started drinking coffee at 4 or 5 years old. Lots of milk, some sugar.

It was a Norwegian thing.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 08:56AM

Actually, some teens and pre-teens should drink coffee - if they have hypoglycemia. The many blogs saying not to drink coffee if you have hypoglycemia are wrong. Reactive hypoglycemia is also termed "prediabetes". Coffee actually stops the over-production of insulin and thereby both reduces the problem of low blood sugar and can reduce the likelihood of getting type 2 diabetes.

Because hypoglycemia is present in depression, the effects are often treated with drugs such as Prozac. Why the MDs don't see the obvious connection between the blood sugar and seratonin is beyond me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 09:23AM by rhgc.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 02:34PM

Sier du det!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 03:05PM

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 06:58PM

I second that. I drank coffee when I was 8 or 9. Lots of milk. Maybe a cup every now and then.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 02:06PM

My first cup was at 15. It was Mexican coffee. I can still taste it.

Because coffee was never a no no in my home my kids were allowed to drink it. They both sipped on mine as toddlers, then later said it was bitter.

I did enocourage them to not get to dependant on it to wake up in the AM like I am. But there choice.

The oldest drinks it off and on, my youngest just started at 24, I got him a Keurig and several boxes of K-cups to try.

But yum that first cup of Meixcan coffee.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 09:02AM

Coffee's completely safe even for small children.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 09:34AM

Yep, nothing wrong with it at all.

I too, was shocked at seeing a young child drink coffee, but I soon realized it was a cultural thing. I was at a business meeting in Miami. One of the women I was meeting with mae Cuban coffee a couple times a day and brought around caffeine shooters. Well, during our afternoon break, somebody's daughter had turned up at the office -- she was maybe 6 or 7 or so. Young enough that I thought no way she'd be interested in coffee. Lady starts making the rounds with the Cafe Cubano shooters and hands the last one to the little girl. Apparently, this is done all the time in the Latin communities and not a big whoop at all. That child was no more or less hyper than anyone else in the room -- probably less seeing as how the adults had been doing Cafe Cubano shooters all day and the little girl only had one.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 03:16PM

Hehe,ooh coffee.

If that's the worst she's doing then she's doing great!!

Date: November 11, 2013 03:41PM

She's the best girl ever. I think we'll keep her even though she's now going to the Moron hell. ;)

The thing I'm taken back by is she use to "feel the spirit" so much as a kid. She would bawl her eyes out when I'd give her father's blessings at the start of each school year. When we left the church, we were really worried how she would take it.

We sat her down and talked with her about feelings. We told her about the things we had learned and why we think the church uses feelings to manipulate people.

We talked about the difference between revelation (the Holy Ghost) and intuition. She really understood it and hasn't had a problem adjusting at all.

So, for her to just use her logic and say, "I've been taught my whole life that coffee will send me to Hell but really it's just a manipulative, control tactic," really made me proud of her.

I just never thought my daughter would drink coffee (as a TBM), and I never thought I'd be okay with it. I hate having to deprogram!

Date: November 11, 2013 03:44PM

I wonder how many Mormon kids are drinking tons of energy drinks and justifying it because it doesn't specifically say not to (just like cola).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 04:18PM by newnamenephi.

Date: November 11, 2013 04:20PM

Personally, I hate the taste of it. It's like drinking muddy warm water. And, I try to stay low-carb so putting a bunch of cream and sugar in it is just adding calories to mud. :)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 11:08AM

newnamenephi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally, I hate the taste of it. It's like
> drinking muddy warm water. And, I try to stay
> low-carb so putting a bunch of cream and sugar in
> it is just adding calories to mud. :)

That sounds like bad coffee. Get some good coffee, instead. ;o))

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 03:58PM

I first had coffee (black with lots of sugar) when I was in second or third grade. For most people this isn't even an issue--Mormons live in a strange, bizarre world. BTW, I stopped drinking coffee in middle school because the dentist said it was bad for my teeth and I didn't want to get any cavities...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 11:09AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I first had coffee (black with lots of sugar) when
> I was in second or third grade. For most people
> this isn't even an issue--Mormons live in a
> strange, bizarre world. BTW, I stopped drinking
> coffee in middle school because the dentist said
> it was bad for my teeth and I didn't want to get
> any cavities...

Your dentist was wrong
http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/967689/surprising-things-good-for-your-teeth

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 04:54PM

Perhaps kids view coffee as an adult beverage, because frankly it's a bitter hot drink that kids wouldn't like anyway. Of course now that rarely anyone drinks it without loads of lipids & sweetness in it, coffee has become a sweet, warm treat, and a grownup pleasure for kids to feel grownup about when they get some.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 10:57AM

My 8 yo talks about trying it, she's been offered it but she has picky taste buds and her initial reaction is to say no to everything.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 01:16PM

I had my first cup of coffee when I was eleven. I recall it tasted awful at the time, but it did help me stay awake for the day (which was good because I was responsible for watching my younger brother as we flew alone from Philadelphia to Montana).

My parents wouldn't have had a problem with me drinking it in high school. Both only drink it black - and strong - so it didn't interest me because I remembered that first cup in a Philly diner. :)

Now I love it, both to wake up and to just have a relaxing way to start the day.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 05:13PM

I wasn't raised Mormon, but I first had coffee when I was 14. I started out drinking it with sugar and cream, but by the time I was a senior in high school, I was drinking it black.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:43PM

Coffee is know to be a safe, organic ADHD treatment for children.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:57PM

I've never liked hot coffee made in water (like "everyone" drinks it), but since I was very little I always liked coffee taste (in candy, sweet pastries, etc.).

I finally figured out "how" (for me, anyway) to "drink coffee":

Heat unsweetened organic soymilk, add liquid stevia (for sweetening), and organic instant coffee.

It's delicious!!!

(And it is a perfect re-creation of the pleasantly warm, sweet, "milky" coffee taste I've always liked since I was a child.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.