Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 11:38PM

Heard it on the radio tonight. The St. Joe Company, who are the second biggest land holders in the state after everyone's favorite cult, that they have just sold half a billion dollars worth of timberland, covering multiple northwest Florida counties, to the Mormon Church. It was interesting the the radio news story never once called it the "Church of Jesus Christ Thats a Really Long Official Name."

None of this land, was among land that St. Joe had previously announced that it was selling to real estate developers.

Correction, the Mormon Church was the second biggest land owner in Florida, but this deal with St. Joe makes them the biggest.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/corporate/st-joe-co-selling-382834-acres-in-northwest-florida/2151305

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 11:48PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 07, 2013 11:46PM

It should be pointed out that the St. Joe Company is named after St. Joseph, FL where they are headquartered and not St. Joe the prophetic child rapist.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 09:47AM

LOL...there is humor in irony. Well done.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 11:52PM

when they were spending exorbitant amounts of money on a shopping mall the explanations (defenses) usually boiled down to:

"gotta protect temple square"

so... what is TSCC protecting out there in those forests?

(besides their bottom line)

Date: November 07, 2013 11:53PM

I think they have read my descriptions on how wonderful Northwest Florida is, what with our sunny white sand beaches, emerald waters, plethora of stores selling hard liquor, that they have decided that this is to be the New Jerusalem after the angry mobs chase them out of Utah in a couple of years, when they discover how the tithing money has been spent.

You can build a lot of nice resorts on 300,000 acres of land, many of which is almost right up on the Gulf waters.

I always dreamed of buying a plot of land of the St. Joe company, and building a nice house. Not now. No way in hell would I ever buy a plot of land off of the cult.

Also, these are all pulp trees. They are planted, raised, then cut down for making pulp for producing paper. Maybe the cult figured with all the edits it has planned for the sacred scriptures, and subsequent reprinting, that they needed to cut out the middleman in paper production.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 12:12AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:21AM

Time to tell their Floridian neighbors about their pedophile prophet Joe Smith and his 34 wives in the comments section. Got to make sure that LDS never controls the narrative.

Florida, home of LDS and the Super Power Building of Scientology. They go together so well.

What is the difference between Scientology and LDS? 120 years

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:49AM

565 million dollars? How many orphans could that shelter and feed till adulthood?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:53AM

If I were a mormon i'd be packing my bags,loading up the handcarts and heading for sunny Florida. NOT Missouri.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 01:53AM

Clearly the second coming is imminent........

Date: November 08, 2013 06:57AM

Maybe they need all that timber to build a new ark?

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 09:49AM

Not ark, but rather a huge Jaredite barge, shaped like a dish and no windows. The Lord will then give them the finger for light by touching a rock.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 07:22AM

What an amazingly awesome inspiring story, and so timely to motivate the members for tithing settlement, haha.

Date: November 08, 2013 07:29AM

Which is why I keep trying to top this. Albeit with funny comments. I am running out of jokes, but this still needs to be seen. It is no City Creek Mall boondoggle, but coming on the heels of that project, and with unbiased newspapers from outside Utah reporting on it, we have a chance to do some damage to the cult's reputation.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 07:45AM

One article said that after this sale, the Mormon church will own 2% of Florida. Incredible. I wonder if they're just buying land here or if they're doing it everywhere.

Date: November 08, 2013 07:50AM

Something you should know about St. Joe, is that it just isn't a paper/timber company. For almost a hundred years, until very recently, you did not get elected to office in northwest Florida, if St. Joe didn't say you could. Even up until now, you would have a very hard time getting elected without their support, though it does happen.

I think the church is after the influence as much as the money. They will make a lot of money off of this deal, but I think they expect to start to be able to have a say what goes on around here. They will be entertained by our leaders of course, but they will never have the influence that St. Joe had. They can't. For one thing, they are a bunch of outsiders. I have lived here for years and my son was born down here, and I am still considered to be an outsider in a lot of circles. A tolerated one for sure, but I am never getting elected to office. Add to that, they are a bunch of Mormons. Ain't no one going to listen to what a Mormon from Salt Lake has to say. They'll be polite, maybe even take the guys money, but they are not going to respect a guy who can't drink beer and chew Copenhagen while they discuss business on the back of a pickup truck's tailgate.

Posted by: pale&delightsometimes ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 08:37AM

How can one find out the percentage of land LDS inc owns per state? I googled the percentage for Utah and couldn't find anything. I think Hawaii might be interesting too with the Polynesian center, university and temple.

Date: November 08, 2013 09:17AM

I think they took the land from the cattle ranch, and the land from St. Joe, added them together, then divided by the total amount of land for the state of Florida. Figure probably doesn't include temple and chapel plots.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 09:44AM

They needed to invest some of their cash horde before the dollar takes a nosedive. They didn't need prophet to figure that out.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 09:49AM

Quote from Gordeon B Hinckley in the Tampa article:
"We have felt that good farms, over a long period, represent a safe investment where the assets of the Church may be preserved and enhanced, while at the same time they are available as an agricultural resource to feed people should there come a time of need."
Hinckley makes it very clear that these farms are NOT being used to feed the poor and hungry, but to enhance the bottom line of Churchco.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 10:09AM

"...they are available as an agricultural resource to feed people should there come a time of need." - President Hinckley

"A sister in Africa who had only been a member of the church for eight months...she was teaching a class about fasting...
This is in a place in Africa where they're not starving but they're hungry most of the time. And they would probably have one meal a day as we understand it. This woman was teaching the sisters in Relief Society and she said, "Sisters, there are many days when we do not have food and we do not eat..." Elder Bednar

"Should there come a time of need????" Do they not realize there are starving people in this world RIGHT NOW??!! Do they only think Americans or Utahn count? Or maybe just the white and delightsomes? Do they forget they are a GLOBAL church now? Why aren't they using or selling off their land investments NOW to feed people around the world in need of food like this African sister IN THEIR OWN CHURCH instead of being so proud of how she can fast on the few days she does have food! F**king racist hypocrites!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.