Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 11:39PM

I swoon for Charlie Brown! I'm just watching the 1966 classic Peanuts Hallowe'en show so I must rush off.

But Linus made me laugh so I had to share.

As we know, Linus loves The Great Pumpkin and looks for him every Hallowe'en, at considerable personal effort.

At the beginning of the show, Linus writes to The Great Pumpkin and says, "Everybody says you're not real. If you're not real, don't tell me. I don't wanna know". Oh, that gave me a good laugh. Talk about made for RfM!

What's always amazing to me is that some people, especially here, sling slurs at cartoonists, as if it's an ignoble profession to be an artist and/or social commentator. Like it's the worst insult they can hurl.

But think of just one great example, Charles Schulz, creator of Peanuts and all the gang. Rather than write a treatise about the meaning of the universe, he could just get Linus to seek after The Great Pumpkin and utter those immortal words, "If you're not real, don't tell me, I don't wanna know".

Too, I bow down before the 'toonists' Gift of Pithiness. It's so very clever and entertaining and insightful and wise.

Sure, these cartoonist folks can draw.

But they can think too. And express it brilliantly to the masses.

Lucky them.

And thank you for the laughs, Mr. Schulz. I feel a little silly being in love with characters that don't exist, Charlie, Snoopy and the kid with the blankie. How did Schulz DO that?!

Meanwhile, thank you too, to elee (Erin) for this Hallowe'en gem, currently re-posted on another thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1056530

So, yeah. Cartoonists. Clever folks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 11:47PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 11:51PM

Yep, a laugh can make you remember, or get something when nothing else can. Opens a door somehow. Maybe that's because it's suddenly become fun to think about...?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 12:04AM

Yes, a laugh is always good fun. And it reminds me, at least, to lighten up about things. I can get a bit intense about the universal questions and need a reminder every once in a while to keep the bigger picture in mind. That being that gaining perspective helps with most issues that confront us.

Laughing never hurt anyone and, in fact, is so beneficial in many ways. Too bad that places like schools and churches all too often forbid it. Of course, that just gives me the giggles.

Call me irreverent from way back, despite my best intentions!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.