Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: a new name ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:48PM

You can go here

http://preparetoserve.com/missionary-blog-index/

and find over 7000 mission blogs from all over the world. Very funny reading!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: a new name ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:56PM

Best quote

"Here are a couple great things that happen in Chile. One thing you should understand is that evangelicos are SUPER devoted to their religion and they think that EVERYONE needs to hear what they have to say whether they want to hear it or not. "

Huh??????

Pot calling the kettle black, they they don't even know it!

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:13PM

To your point, here's the same statement coming from a missionary in Roseville, Ca (October 28, 2013):

"That's something that I'm really working on, is telling people what they need to hear, even if it's not what they want to hear!"

Posted by: an9991 ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:51PM

Holy hell, im glad I don't run into them. I live very close,to that area....

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:46PM

From a female missionary:
"We talked to a preacher this week. Interesting experience. A member took us to her old preacher who wanted to meet us. We talked for a while. He got me angry at times, but I kept my cool. I have found I really dont like it when people tell me what I can and can't believe."

Posted by: rrrr ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:14PM

"my comp sleep walks and turns on the light at 1:00am and then sleeptalks and asks what time it is everynight...I love her."

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:15PM

This sister in one of the SoCal missions is sharing how members can help with hastening the work. Apparently they are still pushing that and "people will notice and want to be like you" tripe. It goes right along with a thread by "CA girl" about Mormons being asked to set an example:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1067304,1067304#msg-1067304

Come listen to a never-can-be-a-prophet-cuz-she's-a-girl voice:
"It is more than time to catch the wave of missionary work! Get caught being a Mormon. Its simple. Let people know what you did over the weekend (hopefully you went to church), let them know why you don't do certain things. Share the gospel through the example you live by. They will notice! They will feel and see the difference in you."

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:18PM

These kids are really, really, really brainwashed if they believe even half the stuff they write on the blogs I just read.

Scary.

One mishie reported facing "very anti-mormon information twice in one day." At least someone in the neighborhoods they visit is telling them like it is!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:19PM

Quote "This place is like a redneck soap opera"

I used to live in the place she's talking about. She's right.

She was talking about teaching a lady and her husband.
The husband was having an affair. The wife was sleeping in a tent in the bak yard with a different guy. The next week she was sleeping with someone else, and her hubby was going to jail for lying about being in the military.

She actually used these peoples names and the town they lived in! She was trying to get these people to commit to being baptized. I'm not sure who's crazier, them or her.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:41PM

Wait, is she in the Florida Panhandle?

Date: October 31, 2013 07:16PM

Ohio

Date: October 31, 2013 07:30PM

OMG! I can't quit laughing. These are priceless.
There was a mission pres and his wife that I used to babysit for. I don't remember what he did for work, but she was a hair dresser. They were poor as dirt. They live in a shack on an abandoned used car lot. Apparently they moved up in the world. I remember their kids were always sleeping. They were always at church meetings for hours on end. They must of been in their 20's at the time.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:20PM

"So, much work, like a lot! But nothing of too much out of the extraordinary! Lots of miracles that have more meaning for us here than to you! So, sorry! But here's a cool pick of us firebending! Yeah, go Priesthood!"

"So, we've started a program with the youth called pokemon! We printed little pokemon and are having little competitions with them, and to win you have to give the missionaries references! So, it's working out pretty cool!"

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:38PM

Great quote from a missionary in my local area:

"Golden!! And the bonus: he is normal!! Anyone who has served a mission knows what I'm talking about: for every 100 people you meet, maybe 5% will be normal...the rest are a bit strange to say the least!!"

Briggy

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:58PM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> "Golden!! And the bonus: he is normal!! Anyone who
> has served a mission knows what I'm talking about:
> for every 100 people you meet, maybe 5% will be
> normal...the rest are a bit strange to say the
> least!!"

Well, that's what you get when you spend so much time working with people who are already members.

Date: October 31, 2013 05:56PM

Swearing - Mormon style:

"Oh my heck!!! I just got word that i'm leaving B-ham!!! What the duce! This is all insane. ahhhhhh! I love smacking B-ham! Son of a corn. Well, don't send me any mail to B-ham, just to make sure of that. Whelp, see ya next week."

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:56PM

These are just some snippets from a sister missionary.

"...Right before we saw that investigator we were looking for less-actives and came across a very cranky lady. I have never been screamed at like that before. After screaming at us to get off her porch, she practically spat at us, "YOU FOLKS NEVER KNOW WHEN TO QUIT!"....

...We lost Betty. We texted her to confirm our appointment and she got mad at us for knowing her phone number. I'm pretty sure she gave it to us. She angrily told us never to use it again. What happened I will never know. That lesson was absolutely incredible and now she's barking at us...

...We've been texting one of our less-actives a scripture every night, but she disappeared off the face of the planet and gave her phone to her roommate. Her roommate angrily told us to stop sending her scriptures and accused us of not being Christian...

...We went on exchanges this week with someone who was in my first zone. I asked her about some recent-converts in that area. She told me one of my recent converts went off the deep end and left the church. That led to all kinds of personal questions, wondering if we let this person be baptized too early, whether or not this person was ready, what we could have done to make this person want to keep baptismal commitments, etc. ...

...Some people just aren't ready. Just a couple hours later we met with another less-active who also was very open and honest about what she dislikes about the Church. It's hard to watch people who once made important covenants cling to lies. I felt that no matter what I tried to say, nothing could penetrate their hearts..."

sigh

Posted by: SeaNeverMo ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 06:37PM

Darnit, there's no blog for Elder Butt -- an actual missionary's name that I ran into on the street. My husband and I were kind enough to turn the corner before we started cracking up.

Yes, I'm still a 9-year-old at heart.

Posted by: Iwasamormonboy ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 06:53PM

According to a blog I found, my area is bone dry-nada. No investigators and no referrals. This elder said they have to contact people on the street. So much for members hasting the work.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 06:57PM

"We met a man from the Phillipines this week and started teaching him the lessons. He is a member of the Church of Christ but left because of how much money they wanted all the time."

Lol!

Posted by: anon4areason ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 07:12PM

....We also got a less active YSA to come to church who we have been working with recently. and he actually brought a non member friend with him! so we were super excited. And the first two talks were really good. One talked about turning to the Lord and having faith in trails and one talked about prayer and how important it was. And then the high councelman stood up..... and he started out and was saying that he was going to be talking about pretty basic principles so Sister Ransom and I were feeling okay about things. and then he started to dive into a little bit deeper doctrine..... and we started to get a little uneasy.... and then he started to talk about some really deep doctrine.... and sister ransom and I are like no! NO! No!!! stop!!!!! and then just to be the icing on top of the cake he started to talk about Kolob........ like for reals!!!!! we work soooooo hard to get these people to church and the High councel speaker starts talking about Kolob?!

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 07:25PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 07:14PM

I notice that one of my comps from my mission is now there on a senior mission with his DW. Weird. He was a nice guy, and I bought a light tan linen suit from him once after he had lost too much weight from having appendicitis.

Date: October 31, 2013 07:18PM

We should totally copy this site with a very similar domain and parody the life of a missionary.

Posted by: Superfly Apostate ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 07:45PM

I clicked on a few in my area. What was disturbing was how much detail and personal information they were providing on line about individuals who probably are unaware that they are being discussed on the open internet in such a way. For example, "Jay" works at AAA and is on call 24/7, is married to "Mary" who is 29 and "Mary" wears a heart monitor and has two unruly children. How hard would it be to track down such a person?

Then I clicked on a few in my Mormon parent's area. The current home address for the missionaries, male and female, was openly published online.

Question 1- how long before someone uses the detail and personal information provided by the missionaries? For example, "Mary's" two children are unruly according to the sister missionaries. In child custody proceedings can this be used again "Mary" to demonstrate she can't control her children?

Question 2 - how long before a lazy and violent rapist decides to go visit a pair of sister missionaries?

Question 3 - oh wait so not a question. Of course the mormon church isn't responsible for any of the content that missionaries are posting opening online about people's private home lives, medical conditions and minor children. And of course the church had no way of knowing that posting the current home addresses of young virgins might lead to them being targeted by a criminal. It just wouldn't be the lord's way.

To go on - what happens if any of these blogging missionaries want to get a job and someone does a social media background check and discovers that they likely aren't trustworthy given that they can't keep their mouths shut about people's business.

I really doubt, from what little I read, that most people would knowingly consent to having their lives, and their children's lives, discussed in such detail (geography, behavior, medical situations, etc.) on the open internet by someone they likely regard as a stranger.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 09:03PM

+Infinity

They are telling what is not theirs to tell. Another double standard from TSCC who tries to keep everything secret yet has zero respect for anyone else's privacy and, as you noted, safety!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 09:08PM

I wonder how hard it would be to look at blogs in our immediate area and try to track down the investigators and show them how the missionaries are posting about them behind their backs. That woman who was designated to have "unruly children" would, for a start, be done with the missionaries. If someone blogged about me or my kids like that, I'd be furious and DONE.

Posted by: Superfly Apostate ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 09:27PM

I sent an email to the mission district leader and copied another one of the missionaries on it. (I was polite, pointing out that a missionary was popping private business everywhere and included the caveat that maybe she did give permission to a missioanry she just met to put her name, age, medical condition, information about minor children, her husband's employer and working conditions online).

I doubt they will respect my 'do not contact' at the end but you never know.

Copied a mormon family member who is very into privacy issues and not at all a fan of broadcasting children or medical issues on the internet.

The woman in the blog I read is from a small community - as in if I drove there this weekend and stopped at a convenience store I could probably find her in half an hour maximum. Easily.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:07PM

What cracks me up are the pictures of missionaries in Central American missions who are standing on the top of Mayan/Aztec/Olmec ruins holding their Books of Mormon with a big shiteatin grin on their face. "Oh, Mommy will love this picture. Here I am standing right where Nephi and Alma stood."

No one burst their bubbles and tell them that they are standing on Pagan ruins and that there was absolutely nothing Christian, let alone Jewish or whatever about those people.

Date: October 31, 2013 08:08PM

I looked at Democratic Republic of Congo Kinshasa mission. When I was there the church didn't put white kids in Kinshasa, proper. Never even allowed them in. They served in the mission, but only in the country of Cameroon and bounced back and forth between the cities of Yaounde and Douala. I would appear that it's still the same, the white kids flying directly to Yaounde or Douala via Belgium or France. Go easy on the white kids, white guys.

Date: October 31, 2013 08:13PM

"Yesterday Sister Jensen and I saw a lady driving in front of us get a flat tire. We followed her to the gas station and my awesome companion and I changed her tire for her. She was shocked that we knew how. She asked us where we learned how to change a flat and I sad, "my youth group at church" and Sister Jensen said, "Family Home Evening." Awesome! The gospel is true, and the programs of the church are inspired. :)"

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:21PM

I looked at a few in Idaho. The investigators mentioned by different missionaries are:

Recovering addict
Needing help from the store house
Have a boyfriend/girlfriend who is a member
Old and on oxygen

I didn't see any golden investigators that are going to be big tithe payers.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:29PM

"Hey family whats up? We had a really rainy start to our week. I learned
that when it rains in Ohio that it Rains!!!! We didn't get feed by any members
this week, But we did have a less-active feed us, he is so cool Gordan, he ways
like 400 pounds."

They don't need the empty sea, they need an English instructor.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:30PM

So far, I've looked at about a dozen, and three have gone home early.

Posted by: moxnix ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 10:29PM

Here's a fun bit from a sister I found:

"We contacted a guy who was high on weed, and of course that was an interesting conversation. He thought of mercenaries when we said missionaries so he was like "you all are killers?" That's a first lol. Who would expect 3 sweet girls in dresses to be mercenaries. And he had a stick of weed in his hand (not lit or however you would smoke it idk but it didn't smell) and he touched my name tag with a stick of weed! He was pointing at it to try and read it lol. I was kinda freaked out. I never thought weed would touch my name tag lol."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.